Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Case 18-32 K Project

this thread has 116 replies and has been viewed 12286 times

Old 07-05-2019, 02:55:05 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,280 Times in 912 Posts
Default Re: Case 18-32 K Project

Looks good Russ! Pretty soon you will be making some stak music!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brasherman For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2019, 08:49:46 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,986 Times in 979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasherman View Post
Looks good Russ! Pretty soon you will be making some stak music!
Hope to have it running in three weeks anyway, but there has been some real opposition, high heat and humidity, rain. Harvest is basically over but we haven't baled any prairie hay yet so sometime in those next three weeks if weather permits we have to knock off the fun work. Also working on threshing machines and a Wallis, still haven't looked over the old D John Deere for the show feature.
Worked on both the Case and Wallis yesterday sans making noise and smoke for The birth of the United States of America. One of those three shirt days, and the blue jeans may have to be destroyed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 09:04:48 AM
Subscriber

Got the fan assembled and installed, cleaned up a mag and installed, timed the mag to the engine this weekend. With the head off I put a aerosol can on top of number one piston and watched for spark/impulse, it may be a little late right now but ill try it out.
My mag bracket just wouldn't fit the FU mag so I added two receiver spots to the bracket for studs to go in at the rear of the mag instead of the front. That way I figure this bracket will work for two different mags in the future. Thanks to Jerry T, he had a coupler in his collection that was exactly what I needed.
In the pics, the studs I made on the magneto are too long for assembly on the tractor, had to cut them down shorter. The mag bracket bolts down before the mag goes on and the shorter the better if the coupler tolerance is good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0383.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	338771   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0390.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	338773   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0392.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	338774   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0394.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	338775   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0386.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	338781  

Last edited by Russ Hamm; 07-08-2019 at 12:33:01 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 09:42:57 AM
Subscriber

Had to work for real Saturday morning, when I got home lo and behold my new valve guides came in the mail already! Thanks to Don L. for his prompt service beyond the call of duty I got them installed Saturday night. These are guides for Case L and LA, they are longer than the 18-32 guides and the base is smaller diameter so I had to machine spacers for the valve springs to sit on. I did all this with pretty common tools other than one countersink that did a very good job on a slight bevel at the end and a larger lubrication bevel at the top end of the guide after cuts were made.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SUNP0395.jpg
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	338777   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0396.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	338778   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0397.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	338779  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 10:03:28 AM
Subscriber

Oh...…..woe is me.
Youngest son helped me put the head on last night, everything went pretty good, torqued it down to 80 ft/lbs and stopped for a minute. I was showing him how the accessory drive worked everything and tried to turn the engine over...……...it wouldn't BUDGE. Like an idiot I pulled the timing cover to make sure nothing fell in the gears, etc. Noticed the head wasn't QUITE down on the block at the right side as much as the left. Loostened the head bolt nuts and sure enough, the engine turned freely. In my ignorance I did not notice that the replacement sleeve I installed in the number four hole wasn't quite down as far as it should be, torqueing the head down must be shrinking the sleeve enough at the o-ring seal to tighten up at the piston. That sleeve just happens to be an aftermarket one, but used. AND, the piston I put in that hole was also a used replacement. I am going to have to do some measuring, when I built my O-rings I left the factory Cummins bevel as it was, may have to bevel that a bit more, hone the sleeve a bit more and polish that piston a bit more. ……….I think.
After some thought I remembered a "click" at one time torqueing down on the right side. Looked over for damage but didn't see anything, hopefully it was just my ancient Craftsman clicker torque wrench ratchet slipping cogs now and then. I did notice after pulling number four piston and sleeve that the sleeve had a dark ring inside right where the o-ring area is on the outside, I suppose this was piston scrape even already when I was turning the engine over for timing before the head was even installed. Had not micked the lower end of that sleeve, but I think there is just too much resistance at the seal for the sleeve to go down far enough in the block, period. Today at lunch time I will clean and hone, put the sleeve in the block tonight without a seal to make sure it goes down all the way, then bevel the seal more.
NUTZ...…….just a bump in the road, I guess.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 11:07:24 AM
Subscriber

I beveled the sleeve seal at the bottom a bit more on number four, honed the bottom of the sleeve a little and polished the piston. Torqued the head back down and now either number two or three are sticking , and its always twice, once before bdc and just after bdc. So, off with its head again and this time I will bevel the seal on both of them, should be done at that time, third time is the charm, as they say. Pretty sure number one is fine as the last time the head was torqued down when one and four were just before and just after bdc the engine turned over easily.
I went through several sets of seals with various success and failure, now I can see that its not how tight the seal is during installation but how tight it is with the sleeve torqued down flush with the deck of the block. The manual recommends .003-.004 max sleeve height above the deck after installation, this seals the sleeve to the head when torqueing. I had about .006 on two of these and when the head was torqued down the was so much pressure at the seal that it shrunk the bottom end of the sleeve.
A friend made this o-ring tooling, I may keep his name out of it for now as I hate to put him into the o-ring manufacturing business without his permission. He said it was okay to post pics,butyou know how it goes, a guy could
make a hundred sets for himself and have them all work or make one r a customer and they wont work at all, so if any questions feel free to pm me for now.
Anyway, back to his machining skills and creativity. I used these tools on my last set of O-rings and it is amazing to me, well thought out and quick production. Only thing I didn't follow through on was the round aluminum disc with the spindle, THAT is for making a bevel on the outer bottom side of the o-ring. When I re-worked number four yesterday I increased the bevel and the sleeve torqued way better, piston ran free. These tools take an exhisting square o-ring, narrow it down to the correct width, cut the ends at 45 degrees, has a fixture to glue the ends with o-ring glue and then the disc can be chucked up with the o-ring for turning an outer lower bevel...………………….
It works easier and better than I can describe in print, you would have to see it in action.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SUNP0097.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	338932   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0095.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	338933   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0094.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	338934   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0098.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	338935   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0099.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	338936  
Old 07-12-2019, 11:12:40 AM
Subscriber

This is the bevel I started with, don't have a pic of the current bevel but it is at least twice this wide now. I still use hi temp silicone with this seal, I am now tempted to use a little bit at the top also, getting tired of removing and installing that head although it gets easier each time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SUNP0101.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	338937   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0100.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	338940  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 09:18:08 AM
Subscriber

That did the trick, beveled the O-rings more on number 2 and 3, put it all back together, turns over just fine. I debated about pulling number one sleeve as it has the exact same o-ring in it as the others had, but after 125 ft/lbs on the torque everything is ducky. At 80 ft/lbs last time it had a hitch in its giddyup whenever at least two pistons were just before and just past bdc. I suspect it was two and four now.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:01:22 PM
Subscriber

Tell me about the sheet metal covering the clutch and the manifold. Just came across this today, I think I have seen this before but cant say.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	case-18-32-02.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	339173  
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 06:53:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,968 Times in 2,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hamm View Post
Tell me about the sheet metal covering the clutch and the manifold. Just came across this today, I think I have seen this before but cant say.
The one on the manifold is a heat sheld wich i have not seen too many of on cross motor Case tractors myself
Old 07-18-2019, 12:28:20 PM
Subscriber

A pic of the oil pressure valve components.Also, took a nos Stewart Warner guage and super glued a Case face on it from the internet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SUNP0406.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	339313   Click image for larger version

Name:	SUNP0411.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	339314  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 12:37:56 PM
Subscriber

Got the head installed and last night the manifold was almost done. Need to finish the oil and fuel systems. Welded the pan, it had been pushed up at some time or another and when I pushed it back out the solder loostened at the drain plug . The gas tank sits on wood, so I thought I would try to find some thin plastic for a wear shield, the hardware store has thin plastic in the form of keep out signs for $2.49.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01370.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	339315   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01371.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	339316   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01373.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	339317   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01374.JPG
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	339318  
Old 07-18-2019, 05:07:05 PM
Subscriber

A side note for Duey. I had to buy 5 manifold studs as they were missing, the original studs that were in the head were uss thread and the replacements were sae thread so I had to get 5 7/16" hex nuts before I went home. Now....it has been VERY hot and humid here, and I seem to stagger around some when it gets later in the evening, which is exactly my time during the week to work on the Case.
So last night I had to spend some time re-cleaning out the manifold, placed the gaskets on the studs and tried to put the manifold on. Some welding had been done on the manifold and the holes needed adjusted so by the time it slipped on I couldn't seem to find my 5 sae nuts. Had lock washers ready, uss nuts ready, no sae nuts.
I looked for 30 minutes or so for those nuts. I got VERY frustrated, the dog was even concerned, healing me along while I went from the pickup, to the big shed, to the house and back to the shop. No nuts. It was getting dark and my second rechargeable flashlight gave up its glow. I was going to pull my cell phone out of my shirt pocket to use its light, when I noticed something in my front pocket in addition to my phone...………….
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 12:28:58 AM
Subscriber

Hahaha! That ain't staggering Russ, that's heat stress up here! You fellas are tough.
I looked at the weather in Canton just a bit ago... "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." R Kipling.
Good grief it's HOT HOT HOT there! I cooked my brain way too much this week and it's only been in the upper 80's with dew points around 70!
Being real CAREFUL today/tonight. Even watched a little Netflix on the TV today. Unheard of almost.
Hey now, I resemble those remarks... Isn't it fun when a fella finds stuff he's looking for and it's on him... No, not really.
Your pupper makes me miss my dogs. They KNOW us better than we do some days. Hehehe! Like your day today!
Where the &^%$*@#!_ are those bloody nuts? Hehehe!
Oh. Got 'em.

What I meant to say was that little bugger is coming together really quickly! Very cool! Well it will be in October!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duey C For This Post:
Old 07-19-2019, 08:50:01 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey C View Post
Hahaha! That ain't staggering Russ, that's heat stress up here! You fellas are tough.
I looked at the weather in Canton just a bit ago... "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din." R Kipling.
Good grief it's HOT HOT HOT there! I cooked my brain way too much this week and it's only been in the upper 80's with dew points around 70!
Being real CAREFUL today/tonight. Even watched a little Netflix on the TV today. Unheard of almost.
Hey now, I resemble those remarks... Isn't it fun when a fella finds stuff he's looking for and it's on him... No, not really.
Your pupper makes me miss my dogs. They KNOW us better than we do some days. Hehehe! Like your day today!
Where the &^%$*@#!_ are those bloody nuts? Hehehe!
Oh. Got 'em.

What I meant to say was that little bugger is coming together really quickly! Very cool! Well it will be in October!
Two more days of this and then its supposed to be cooler next week. Its not so bad if you can stay out of the air conditioning, actually. Worst thing a guy can do is be in and out constantly in the afternoon, stay in or stay out and you will be better off.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:41:43 AM
Subscriber

By the way, manifold studs I found are Dorman #675-041 still available at O'Reilleys auto parts.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:12:26 AM
Subscriber

Had the tractor running yesterday, still needs dialed in some but it starts on the belt. I need to re-address connecting rod shims some, had one slight knock. Pulled the pan last night and didn't see or feel anything serious but need to plastigage some, each rod had the thickness of one shim @ .108 or thereabouts, don't have any to subtract so I need to find or make some packs.
Maybe mill down these after plastigage and cut some .005-.010 brass?
Old 07-23-2019, 10:04:28 AM
Subscriber

Honestly, I haven't plastiguaged the rods on my tractors for years, the first one I did and found that it was pretty close to correct with the shims it came with. The bearings and crank looked good. From then on I went with the shim and turn, feel method. I ran into a few that needed shims removed but with the Mcormick-Deering models we did so many of I never found more that three or four rods that took much effort. Actually, over the years I have salvaged some rod bearings and kept the shims with said bearings that came out of the engines with them and they most always stayed pretty correct that way.
I put these rod bearings in the Case back in with the shims that were there, all that came with it was one thick shim per side with two rods thin shimmed on one side. I had a slight knock with this on one rod, so last weekend I pulled the pan. Plastiguaged them all last night with just the thick shims, found;
#1 .008
#2 .008-.009
#3 .005-.006
#4 .008
From what I was hearing the knock was left side so I suspect #2 was the main culprit, but I think I need to find a way to mill down these shims as I can always build thin shims to add but I need to start with something as these thick shims are .108-.110. Looks like another trip to the machinist as we don't have a magnetic base for the mill if we go this route.
If I remember right a rule of thumb would be .001 clearance per inch of rod journal diameter. A 2 inch diameter rod would enlarge .002 when hot, etc. I suppose in this case .004-.005 like Joe B suggested would be tolerable.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 10:13:49 PM
Subscriber

Well it made it to the show. I still need to work on it some more this winter but we may try to plough some this weekend. No pics from the show as we were too busy, had to settle for back home a week and a half later.
Many thanks again for all who helped, special thanks to Joe B who wouldn't let me give up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01393.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	341486   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01391.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	341487   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01384.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	341488   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01395.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	341489  
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 04:17:13 PM
Subscriber

Got to do some plowing a week ago, conditions are pretty bad with the rains we had this spring and summer so a 2-14" was about it and it pulled REALLY hard.
Tried to make a video but since I made fun of Dueys' video I didn't because mine was worse.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KIMG0010.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	344189   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0012_01_BURST1000012_COVER.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	344190