Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery Discussion about misc. carbs, mixers, fuel pumps, injectors.

Carburetors, Mixers, Fuel Pumps and fuel delivery

Briggs & Stratton Model 14 carburetor

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2560 times

Old 06-30-2014, 11:43:06 AM
Registered

Default Briggs & Stratton Model 14 carburetor

I have just purchased a Simplicity Walk Behind Tractor with a HP Model 14 B&S engine. The carburetor is part # 291273.
The nozzle is damaged and apparently it is no longer available. However, I can get a carburetor overhaul kit which included the nozzle on ebay.
The trouble is that the threads in the lower carburetor body are damaged so that the needle valve retainer doesn't stay tight.
Apparently this lower body is available for $35 plus shipping.
I then wondered about getting a whole new carb, but it also is no longer available. I can get one on ebay (390323) that looks like mine, but doesn't say it replaces 291273.
So, I was wondering if anyone knows whether this 390323 carb will work for me?
Secondly, is there a method for repairing the threads in the carb body to accept the needle valve retainer?
Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2014, 12:51:23 PM
Registered

Default Re: Briggs & Stratton Model 14 carburetor

I just noticed an omission in my post! That was a B&S 5 HP Model 14!
Old 06-30-2014, 04:00:01 PM
Card Sponsor

The 390323 carb is the same except for the throttle shaft. The arm for the governor shaft points the wrong way. If you put your throttle shaft in it it will work. If you don't change the shaft your governor will not work it will be backwards. The threads in the carb are 5/16 32, I no of no repair kits for them. Briggs sells the taps so you can tap them but if they are to far gone there is nothing you can do. Jim
Old 06-30-2014, 09:43:51 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsman View Post
The 390323 carb is the same except for the throttle shaft. The arm for the governor shaft points the wrong way. If you put your throttle shaft in it it will work. If you don't change the shaft your governor will not work it will be backwards. The threads in the carb are 5/16 32, I no of no repair kits for them. Briggs sells the taps so you can tap them but if they are to far gone there is nothing you can do. Jim
Hi Jim

Thanks for your reply. It seems that the best way for me to go is to buy that carburetor then. I had been thinking that even if the lower carb body was the same I could just replace that.

Vern
Old 07-14-2014, 06:01:23 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsman View Post
I have just received my new carburetor from China. Besides the throttle shaft being the other way around, I notice that the throttle valve and throat are larger than on my old one. Does this matte? They look like they are the same diameter, except that my old one has a sleeve in it that is about 1/16 inch.
If the larger bore makes a difference, I can go the other route and swap the needle valves and lower bowl, but I would prefer to replace the whole unit.
My engine is 5HP while I believe the replacement carb is really for a 7HP engine, though I may well be mistaken about this.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:53:22 AM
Registered

Hey there I know this post is old, but how did the carb work for you ?, I just ordered the same carb for my Briggs model 14 . And fingers crossed it will work
Old 06-27-2019, 02:50:17 PM
Registered-II

Some or maybe all the China replacement carbs have metric threads for carb mounting. The other threaded holes and bolts maybe metric also. As far as the main jet threads----------------- ?