Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oilers, Lubricators and Grease Cups
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oilers, Lubricators and Grease Cups Discussion about collecting and restoring oilers, lubricators & grease cups.

Oilers, Lubricators and Grease Cups

Drip Oiler Blowback Problem... Need help!

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 3163 times

Old 05-15-2017, 10:12:07 AM
Registered

Default Drip Oiler Blowback Problem... Need help!

Hello,
I recently restored a Associated 2 1/4 hp Hired Man engine. The cylinder drip oiler does not have a check valve on it so I'm getting a lot of oil blowing back out thru the lower sight glass when the engine is running.

Is there a simple solution to this problem without the expense of purchasing a oiler with a check-ball ....Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2017, 10:43:32 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Drip Oiler Blowback Problem ..Need help!:

A small hole on the side of the vent tube would help with the blow. That is what I use.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:57:16 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Drip Oiler Blowback Problem... Need help!

A cylinder oiler not only has a check ball but they will also have a vent tube and a sealed cap to prevent blowback so it is worth it to get a proper cylinder oiler.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:10:01 PM
Registered

From my experience thus far, Cylinder oilers are very rare and if you can find one ..very expensive. Not really a viable option for me!
Old 05-15-2017, 03:48:29 PM
Sponsor

Exclamation Re: Drip Oiler Blowback Problem... Need help!

If you drill a vent hole, the blow by will just blow the oil out all over your engine,and it wil not get to the piston where it is needed. A cylinder oiler with sealed reservoir and check, like those used on F/M ZA and IHC M engines are what you need to contain the blow by and get oil where it is needed. The check stops most of the blow by in the oil tube, but some gets by. When it gets to the sealed reservoir, it actually builds pressure on top of the oil, and when it backs off in pressure, the oil is forced into the oiling tube. It takes a minute or so for the pressures to equalize and for the oiler to start working properly. You should be feeding 8 to 10 drips SAE 30 oil per minute, once the engine is warmed up. Multigrade oils are to thin.

In perfect engine conditions, there should be no pressure coming up the oiling tube. If the piston fit and rings are good, there should be minimal loss of pressure past the piston. In reality, worn rings, poor piston fit, cylinder scoring and wear are the usual causes for this blow by. In some engines, lack of oil on the piston and rings can be caused by too rich a mixture - the excess gasoiline washes off the oil and the gasses under compression get past the rings. Another cause is excessive heat. Running with no water in the hopper, or no cooling fan on an air cooled engine for instance.

SO - - - It is a question of how much you want to spend to fix the problem. $50 for a good cylinder oiler, couple of hundred for a resized piston and rings, and or in an extreme case, a grand for a cylinder replacement, piston and rings. And the answer is ???
Old 05-15-2017, 06:11:45 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Richardson View Post
From my experience thus far, Cylinder oilers are very rare and if you can find one ..very expensive. Not really a viable option for me!
They are not that rare and can be cheap. It took me 2 minutes to find this one,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Name-Oile...8AAOSw3gJZGNei
and an Essex sold for $28 just a few minutes ago.

Just keep an eye out on ebay and you will find one in your price range.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:14:12 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info! I'll keep an eye out. ....You may have inadvertently given me the answer as one of the photos of the oiler on EBay shows the bottom side and surprisingly, it's a very simple valve set up. looks like they seat a ball bearing in the lower section and retain it with a brass pin. It's possible, that I could modify my existing oiler and fit the valve if the lower section is large enough ...I'll have to look.

---------- Post added at 01:14:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02:16 PM ----------

I also see these oilers are pressurized! my have to re think this and look to purchase one! .....Thanks all for the input.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:54:46 AM
Registered

Just a quick update and a point of interest to some. I found this article on-line that is quite interesting. It's another option if you have an oiler that's suitable.

http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/gas...d-miss-engines
Old 05-20-2017, 11:17:00 PM
Registered-III

I put a T fitting below the oiler with a street elbow comming out the side with a piece of pipe comming straight up.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:23:44 PM
Registered-III

Lets see if this picture will take
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170520_201738.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	282554  
Old 03-15-2018, 09:53:17 AM
Registered

There are small ball check fittings that "might work" ( can't say 100% ), if fitted between the drip oiler & the machinery. I used one way back as a vacuum break ( to allow air in ) on a Michelob stainless half barrel I converted to a fuel tank.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:07:48 PM
Registered

I realize this original post is about a year old but is an interesting problem. I'm having the problem with a 1 1/2 Lauson. If oil is being blown back out at the Sight glass (Essex 33A oiler), very little if any could be going in the cylinder which is a big problem.

Obviously the problem is worse as an engine's ring seal deteriorates (more blow-by) and most of us aren't going to be doing a ring & cylinder job on these small old engines. So maybe loggerhogger's solution of an elbow breather is a good one. How much oil gets blown out that elbow I wonder?

I've been using 5W30 which I now know is too thin, should be 30W. Maybe the thicker oil will minimize blow-by and help fix the problem as well.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:33:18 AM
Registered-II

You could try a heavy grade of oil. Modern oils are quite thin compared to the oil available in the old days. I have overcome this problem by using a 90 grade oil.

Many years ago a vintage car guy came to see me with the same problem he was having with, if my memory is correct, a 1904 single cylinder Rambler car. We tried it with gear oil 90 and it worked. He ran it for years on that and never had the problem again.

Merv.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:54:17 PM
Subscriber

The check ball in an engine oiler helps control pressure surges from the cylinder, but does not 100% totally prevent them. Engine oilers also have a vent tube. This is not to "pressurize " the oiler but rather allow equal pressure above and below the oil in the reservoir. That way the oiler will operate normally regardless of pressure coming up from below.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:43:43 PM
Sponsor

Just because an oiler has a check, does not mean it is a 'pressurized' oiler. 'Sealed oilers have a gasket on the fill connection, and also have a cork gasket that seals the adjustment column, and there is no vent. Used on F/M ZA and IHC M and other engines with a 'closed' crankcase
Old 09-26-2018, 04:52:08 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toesmack View Post
The check ball in an engine oiler helps control pressure surges from the cylinder, but does not 100% totally prevent them. Engine oilers also have a vent tube. This is not to "pressurize " the oiler but rather allow equal pressure above and below the oil in the reservoir. That way the oiler will operate normally regardless of pressure coming up from below.
I wonder what % of engines out there actually shipped new with an engine oiler with a check ball? And how many engines out there now use an actual engine oiler? I know that's what's recommended but I don't see many of them.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:55:31 AM
Registered-I

This side vent makes a great place to squirt some oil to the cylinder before starting the engine.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:14:28 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggerhogger View Post
I put a T fitting below the oiler with a street elbow comming out the side with a piece of pipe comming straight up.
I am liking this idea quite a bit, several benefits to it. The only down side I see is the possibility of dirt or insects entering