Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Blacksmithing and Metallurgy
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy Hand-wrought manufacture of metal objects, extracting metals from their ores, or purifying metals and casting useful items from the metals.

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy

Pedestal Grinder Tool Rest Question

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 2056 times

Old 06-16-2018, 11:21:35 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,868 Times in 143 Posts
Default Pedestal Grinder Tool Rest Question

I am fixing up a double emery wheel pedestal grinder for our blacksmith shop. It is the type with stones that are approx 12 inches in diameter. Would anyone have a picture of the tool rest/stone guard? I can see where it would bolt on, on the underside below the bearing caps. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2018, 11:21:35 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Pedestal Grinder Tool Rest Question

Catch up. It will not have "stones". It will have grinding wheels, almost surely vitrified wheels. They will not be Emory, which is a natural abrasive mined in Turkey and it's only use is those shiny particles in the cast iron bull nose on stair steps. Your abrasive will be aluminum oxide or silicon carbide unless you like to waste money. Grinding machines are probably the most dangerous of machine tools. You should educate yourself before disaster strikes.
How could anyone have a picture of something that has not been described? Who made it? Model? Picture maybe?
Old 06-19-2018, 07:48:26 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,415 Times in 659 Posts

i have this 1 on engineads, i can get better photos and measurements if you want.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mschreiber For This Post:
Old 06-19-2018, 09:57:42 PM
Registered-II

I will post a picture of the grinder once sandblasted. There are no words cast on its base but it is the same style as the Champion pictures that you posted. The tool posts in your picture answered my question. The grinder came out of a local blacksmith shop in Chance, SD, a homestead town in the early 1900s.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Flatmoe For This Post:
Old 06-20-2018, 08:38:35 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,042 Times in 1,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmidget View Post
Catch up. It will not have "stones". It will have grinding wheels, almost surely vitrified wheels. They will not be Emory, which is a natural abrasive mined in Turkey and it's only use is those shiny particles in the cast iron bull nose on stair steps. Your abrasive will be aluminum oxide or silicon carbide unless you like to waste money. Grinding machines are probably the most dangerous of machine tools. You should educate yourself before disaster strikes.
How could anyone have a picture of something that has not been described? Who made it? Model? Picture maybe?
Once again the midget gets snarky with someone who doesn't deserve it...ignore him, Bruce.
Smokstak member #442
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 07:15:30 PM
Registered-I

When one uses terminology suited to a Lil Abner cartoon it is reasonable to assume a lack of familiarity with the machine and process. The machine illustrated is a museum piece, completely without guards and likely incapable of true grinding speeds, since 5500 FPM would be in excess of 1100 RPM with an 18 inch wheel. 18 inch wheels need to be balanced for those speeds and there is no provision for that. The OP's machine takes 12 inch wheels and would need to turn 1750 RPM for 5500 FPM. If "snarkey" is all you can find wrong with that advice then I'm proud. Couldn't find anything wrong though, huh?
Old 06-23-2018, 11:26:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,042 Times in 1,625 Posts

How about condescending? Disrespectful? Over-critical? Snide? Anal Retentive? Nit-picking? Got it, or should I go on? I can go on...
I really can't recall much of anything you have ever posted that couldn't be described by the above terms...a sign of insecurity & an inferiority complex when all you can do is cut others down, just because they might use different terminology than your high & mighty standards accept.
If you had accomplished one tenth of what the Flatmoe family has in the antique tractor field, you might be qualified to cut them down.
Smokstak member #442
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 05:33:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,037 Times in 3,804 Posts

I guess somebody on here isn't old enough to know anything about the old sandstone-grinding wheels. . .

No aluminum oxide or silicon carbide in them, and Way Shy of 5500 FPM when in use, whether pedal powered or belt driven. . .

Old 07-04-2018, 08:06:25 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,983 Times in 3,076 Posts

Been a while since I've seen a genuine sandstone ,pedal powered wheel. We had one that was barely intact back at the home place when I was little. They were mainly for sharpening the scythes and various knives, had a little water cup that dripped water onto the stone to keep it wet. Slow but could really put an edge on a scythe. Need to find another one just to keep the time line with our various relics.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 09:11:14 PM
Registered-II

This evening I am attaching a picture of the grinder. There are no casting numbers or lettering anywhere to be found on it. I need to locate one more stone and I am in the process of deciding if I should make patterns for the tool rests or make weldments. The 4 x 4s are temporary, to provide some stability for the ride back to western SD.

This is just a simple pedestal grinder but I wanted to restore it because of its local history. We know where it came from! In the very early 1900s The T.B. Veal family settled on Thunder Butte Creek in what would become Perkins County. They settled there before the country was open for homesteading. Eventually, Veal family descendants sold the ranch a few years ago to a new family from Montana. My brother talked to the iron man and asked him to pull out anything in the iron pile that would be interesting to us. Brian checked back with the iron man one day as he was just running the cutting torch through the arbor shaft of this grinder! Allan Severson cut a new arbor shaft for us. On a side note, at the bottom of the iron pile was the frame, side car frame and a batch of parts for I believe it was a 1921 Harley Davidson! That made some guys quite excited when we hauled the Harley frame to the swap meet at Le Sueur a few years ago. If anyone in the Dakotas or Minnesota has any line shaft pieces/parts, I believe our club would be interested. Sorry this got a bit long!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chance.grinder.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	314066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chance.SD.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	314067  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Flatmoe For This Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 09:56:03 PM
Registered-III

nice job, i got some extra n.o.s. 1 1/2 bore by 12" diameter stone wheels if you need. but ur grinder maybe 1 1/4" shaft like my champion. are the felt wicks still in the oiling wells? good luck with ur project.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:13:58 PM
Registered-II

The stones are 1.25". Bummer but thanks!

---------- Post added at 09:13:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12:36 PM ----------

PS: The bearing caps had one grease zerk in place and one was missing. Likely it originally took two smaller grease cups.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:00:29 PM
Registered-III

little tiny bit i know about babbit lube, use oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to mschreiber For This Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 10:02:13 PM
Registered-III

I got one very much like yours, it came from our local blacksmith shop and ran from the overhead line drive. Someone made a very elaborate tin shield for one side and there is about a 6 inch slow moving chain sprocket under it. It for the old large rectangle linked chain, I have no idea what they did with it but they must have used the grinder like a jack shaft?
The Following User Says Thank You to Avery22x36 For This Post: