Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > Other Vintage and Antique Collectibles > Antiques for the Home > Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors Weeden, Empire, Doll, Jensen, Wilesco, Mamod, Marklin

Vintage Toy Steam Engines and Motors

Adding a Boiler Feed Pump?

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 296 times

Old 05-16-2019, 10:35:30 PM
Registered

Default Adding a Boiler Feed Pump?

Hello, all. Working on some displays for the up and coming show season, and decided to rig up a generator to run a few of my old steamers. Currently a Jensen and an old Empire B-30, both electric heat engines. I have a Weilsco D-21 on a large table top setup, which was fitted with a gas burner and came from the factory with a boiler hand pump.
Frankly, I prefer my older engines over the Weilsco, since for one, it isn't old. And it just doesn't run as nice as the others. Also, it doesn't fire well outdoors.
Anyway, what I think I'd like to do is set up a feed pump on at least one of the older engines. The Empire even has a blanked off fitting that I think could be used for a water line. I'm more of a gas engine person and not too awful schooled on steam. A search online so far has brought back nothing. Weilsco doesn't sell a separate pump, even as parts, for my engine. If I had provisions, I'd machine one myself.
Has anyone ever done such a thing?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2019, 05:52:42 AM
Registered

Default Re: Adding a Boiler Feed Pump?

Fairly easy to make a feed pump with a small stainless steel pneumatic cylinder as a starting point. These are often available on ebay for just a few dollars. Suction and discharge check valves are needed, I have often made them from 1/8 inch pipe fittings, with a 1/4 inch diameter ball, held in place with a light spring (ballpoint pen size approx.) against a compression fitting. See what you may cobble together, takes me about 2 hours plus some readily available brass fittings to make the pump.

Steel balls are available from various bearings, but if you want long life, get stainless balls, or teflon balls. Wind your springs from brass or bronze or stainless wire, or