Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

High Temp Paints for Engines?

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 1114 times

Old 06-13-2019, 12:20:55 PM
Registered

Default High Temp Paints for Engines?

Hello, all. What are folks using for paint on engines and boilers? Does a regular enamel paint hold up well on boilers, or at all? What about firebox and smokebox doors, also exhaust stacks? I worked on fixing up the firebox door on the 25 White a couple of weekends ago, and thought it would look nice to highlight "WHITE" on the door. I sprayed some high heat black on the castings for now.. it seems to be easily scuffed though. A gloss black would look nice with white colored lettering. Any input?
Thanks. FD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmall_Doctor For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2019, 12:49:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,304 Times in 669 Posts
Default Re: High Temp Paints for Engines?

Somewhat the same issue. Sapolin used to have "radiator paint" in cans which hosted a variety of colors. Sadly no longer.

I'm finishing a Worthington Duplex Pump currently in rattle can "Engine Enamel" from those people who brought you "touch-up paint" DupliColor. The 500 degree paint is filled with ceramic - goes on in an obvious high quality - can be bought in a variety of colors and glosses - and is available at many automotive stores near you.

BUT - only available in rattle can.

See https://www.duplicolor.com/product/e...-with-ceramic/

I most recently did a Steam Boiler Water Column in gloss black from this source.

Joe K
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joe K For This Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 01:28:17 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts

Most high temp paints need to be 'cured'. If not heated to set, the paint will come off easily. I do not believe that just the heat from firing a boiler will cure the paint Read the directions, the manufacturer will tell you the temperature and time it takes to cure.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:21:42 PM
Registered

Thanked 5,695 Times in 2,203 Posts

Andrew post 3 is correct for some high temp paints which are a suspension of particles in water which will just wash off until they are heated to fuse the particles together and to the metal. The directions give two heat levels. The first will drive off any volatiles and maybe more and the second higher will fuse all together. This has worked well on Oilpull exhaust pipes and Eagle manifold.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 04:03:08 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,177 Posts

Hello all
As an experiment for white highlights, paint some good quality household acrylic paint on a metal plate and warm it to the temperature your working at. You might be surprised. White won't stay snowy white but it might stay white.

Cheers scott

Last edited by Scotty 2; 06-13-2019 at 11:24:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:54:46 PM
Registered

Hentzen Coatings two part epoxy primer followed by two part epoxy topcoat. It is expensive but it lasts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190602_081108.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	337079  
Old 06-13-2019, 10:22:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,891 Times in 773 Posts

Most of the boiler and engine will reach a maximum of 365 degrees. Most paint will have no problem with that. The firebox door, smokebox, and stack is another story. I can get the stack of my model over 1000 degrees. I haven't found any paint that will hold up to that.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:58:04 PM
Registered

Hi Jim
There are several paints available for wood burning stoves for example that say they can survive over 1000F.
Mark
Old 06-14-2019, 07:48:59 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,122 Times in 922 Posts

If your stack temperature is going over 1,000 F, it could mean that heat is not being transferred to the water effectively. That could be due to boiler scale on the water side, soot on the fire side, or a combination of both.

For smoke boxes and stacks, the old-time method is to mix graphite in tallow. The tallow will smoke and char, leaving the graphite. Yes, it does have to be re-applied. Remember, this is steam, high maintenance and that is one of the reasons it is not popular.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:04:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Conte View Post
If your stack temperature is going over 1,000 F, it could mean that heat is not being transferred to the water effectively. That could be due to boiler scale on the water side, soot on the fire side, or a combination of both.

For smoke boxes and stacks, the old-time method is to mix graphite in tallow. The tallow will smoke and char, leaving the graphite. Yes, it does have to be re-applied. Remember, this is steam, high maintenance and that is one of the reasons it is not popular.
Models have a different set of circumstances than full size engines.

The lenght of the flues requires a small diameter to extract the heat in the short lenght.

BUT, if a 1" or 3/4" tube is used to extract the heat in the short length, the tube will soot when not under high fire. Once sooted, the tube will gather very little heat due to the insulating factor of the soot.

In the end, a larger tube becomes a better option. 1/2 scales with 1" tubes are a bear to keep the tubes clean if burning coal with 1.5" to 2" being a much better option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dale Miner For This Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 01:58:49 PM
Subscriber

We have used a mixture of linseed oil and flake graphite on our vertical boiler with good results. We used raw linseed oil, boiled might be better, and mixed in enough graphite to make it thick like pancake batter. Painted it on with a brush, it's a real sticky mess until the boiler is fired. It lasts several seasons, but we have not tried it on the stack which is just stove pipe. Be sure to burn any rags and waste, because if you throw them in a can they can auto ignite and cause a fire where you don't want one. - JM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Mackessy For This Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 09:54:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,277 Times in 169 Posts

I mixed graphite flakes with Rustoleum BBQ black paint to achieve what is on the smokebox door. It has been on there for six months, doesn't want to come off and still looks very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62324394_508819903249395_2107854040594382848_n.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	337628  
http://www.todengine.org
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to todengine For This Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 12:33:27 AM
Subscriber

We just use Rustoleum BBQ black straight out of the can applied with small roller and trim brush. Works fine, seems quite durable to me. Holds up well in all areas from bottom of the waterlegs to the smokebox and stack. Even holds well against the oil drippings.
David
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Myers For This Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 09:38:30 AM
Registered

Jim,

Most if not all 1/2 size case engines with the Terning boiler you can't keep paint on the stack, or for that matter, the smoke box either. That is, if they can develop any horsepower. My boiler is clean and no soot in the tubes (nothing in there after a hard pull anyway). I always felt it needed a tube or two more. More heating surface, less pull on the fire. Many friends with their half's have a tube or two more. equal horsepower, less stack temp as I checked years ago. Ours that dad and I built is a collection of Kauer (Terning) and AC Otto's castings, and a few fabbed.

Always enjoy your posts,

Dan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel L. Carruthers For This Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 08:36:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,891 Times in 773 Posts

I just tried the graphite and linseed oil on my 1/2 scale. A good day of sawing, followed by a lot of rain going home left me with a rusty stack and smoke box. So you can burn off the graphite too.

---------- Post added at 07:36:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32:22 PM ----------

Dan, We have run what we call a half scale 75. - Turning engine on an 18" barrel with lots of 1 1/2" tubes. It takes forever to steam up. I even open the ash clean out door to help with the draft steaming up. But once it is under pressure, it operates much more like a big engine. It is much easier to keep pressure under load. I would assume the smokebox and stack temp is also much less.