Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Homelite DP3-1 Trash Pump

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 320 times

Old 06-18-2019, 05:14:31 PM
Registered

Default Homelite DP3-1 Trash Pump

I was given this interesting old pump and would like to get it running again. The 2 stroke engine is tired and needs new rings. The engine runs through a gearbox that cranks a large diaphragm. DP3 must stand for diaphragm pump 3 inch. It will pop but gradually slows down, compression is too low.
Any ideas where to get new rings and a head gasket.
While the engine is 2 stroke it isn't configured like any homelite chainsaw engine I have seen. Possibly it was used to power other equipment, any ideas there?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2019, 08:09:29 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Homelite DP3-1 Trash Pump

Some pics would be appreciated.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:51:36 PM
Registered

I decided to remove the engine to look for any numbers. I found 71070-d on the cylinder. I'm hoping to find another application for this cylinder and the piston size. It has carbon scoring over the exhaust ports and a few scratches elsewhere but not deep. The cylinder was loaded up with carbon. There is a short block for this engine on ebay but the price is over the top. The piston is not scored so I think I can re-use it, I would like to find the piston rings. Possibly someone can advise how to remove these scratches too. Can I just use 320 paper to rub them out?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1740.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	337424  
Old 06-19-2019, 12:48:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,877 Posts

As I understand it, Homelite made quite a variety of two stroke equipment, back in the day. There were different sizes of engines, and singles and flat twins. Mostly see generator sets, 1-1/2 kW - 5 kW in size. I would guess your engine is the same or similar to the 1-1/2 kW or 2-1/2 kW generator engine. The 5 kW was the twin. As far as I know, all ran at 3600 rpm, even the DC ones.

I would think to hone the cylinder. I would not use sand paper. And don't use a ball hone either, as they'll chew up the edges of the ports. You want to use a stone hone. Might find a motorcycle or small engine shop that can hone it for you.

Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 10:40:03 AM
Registered-III

I've have this one sitting in shed. Has spark and what seems like enough compression to run, I pulled and pulled, but couldn't get it going. You could have a pair! Can email more pics if anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	337437  
The Following User Says Thank You to John Dunn For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 10:43:27 AM
Registered-III

One more pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	337438  
Old 06-19-2019, 01:45:33 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,601 Times in 4,252 Posts

There are several sponsors here on the Stak that make piston rings. Give them a call. Have you tried a homelite dealer? They made thousands of these engines, maybe a dealer has some old stock,
A light honing with a fine stone will help seat rings, as long as the ring grooves are good on the piston. i would not worry about getting all the scratches out. If they are very deep, a hone job wil not help mush. You just want to break the glaze so the new rings will wear in and seat

After installing the new rings, LOAD the engine. Just idling with no load will not let the rings seat. You do not want to run the engine with a dry pump, you may burn the seals out. Ask the ring maker about break in oiling. Some engines need a little extra oil for the first tank full.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 04:55:00 PM
Registered

John, I'd be interested if you wanted to part it out, but the entire machine is too heavy to ship. Wouldn't be worth it. I pulled a long time on mine too. I pulled long enough to where the exhaust pipe got good and warm. It wouldn't keep running more than a few seconds. I did clean the carb, but the needle wouldn't seal good enough and it would flood. I elevated the engine so any gas would run out the back of the carb with the air cleaner off. It would come close and I think it would run if the pump wasn't connected. Just not much compression.

Andrew, I don't know of any Homelite dealers that were around here and none now. I also don't know the piston size. I would have to figure out how to measure it if I can't find any spec's on it.