Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

American Abell Only

this thread has 257 replies and has been viewed 57256 times

Old 05-09-2006, 11:57:42 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,133 Times in 3,930 Posts
Default Re: American Abell Only

Chad,
The jacket serves numerous purposes.....cleanliness, easy to clean, pretty, & best of all.....keeps it extra warm!

What kind of wood did you use? Did you wrap the boiler in anything? Mine had asbestos around the boiler before the wood.

Thanks
Beth
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2006, 12:17:15 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,294 Times in 734 Posts

Jackets are pretty nice. id like to do one someday. maybe on our 80. thought this would be a good place to ask how many states still allow you to run with a jacket on? the only engine ive ran with one is the 40 advance cc at new rockford. a time or to we covered that big stack with a metal garbage can lid, and put in a chunk of RR tie and some coal and we had 15 lbs in the morning The old steamer guy that had been to Winnipeg plowing contest and lived here with dad for a bit used to run a 25 case at Austin with a jacket and he'd do the same thing. dad said he'd rake the fire and add some wood, then crack the blower and look around with a silly smile every time i guess he was proud to have steam first
Old 05-10-2006, 12:29:35 AM
Registered

Thanked 8,242 Times in 2,121 Posts

Colin,
Check over in the Minneapolis thread and see the 28 hp Minneapolis I had fired up last Friday and Saturday at our NWAPA show grounds. That engine has its original jacket on it. I suggested to Austin Monk several years ago that he take my holesaw and cut some holes in proper places underneath, on the bottom side of the jacket. He did and the Montana Boiler inspectors have allowed it. It has a canopy and has been somewhat protected from the elements. They went over the boiler with a fine tooth comb (and ultrasound) and would allow factory new pressures and more, due to no erosion. I just learned recently that this butt strap engine is a US model, not a Canadian model, but they would allow 175 psi on it and it is stamped 160 on the headsheet, I am pretty sure.
Gary
Old 05-10-2006, 09:44:17 AM
Registered

Since all of the jackets i have installed are on engines for display only, its just plain old lumber, no paper or aspestos (many did have) oh some were strips of light tin stapled to the slats, plain wood with now insulation will last quite some time before needing replacement, i would say a fiberglass blanket is the way to go now, were working on a way to make the jackests easy to remove for inspection so we can apply them to our running engines, Up here in canada an engine without a jacket isn't worth a tinkers ------- since our threshing show is offten done in the snow in the middle of september! LOL
Old 05-10-2006, 06:37:19 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,158 Times in 510 Posts

I have included some pictures of the American Abel at the Rocanville Saskatchewan museum. It came from the WDM at Yorkton. Some of the gearing was missing so the engine was parked next to the shed. They steamed the boiler and plumbed the steam into the building to run a stationary steam light plant. The last time I seen it steamed was about 8 years ago.

Kelly T

Old 05-10-2006, 08:15:41 PM
Registered

we seen this engine about 6 years ago now but i didn't get any pictures of it. we bought a couple of those Symons oil cans for steam cyl oil that they sell there. do you have any pictures of the other engines? theres a 60 case with 24" drivers in there, and one of 2 or 3 buttstrap 80s left in Canada. this engine is a heavey beast, but maybe more like 30 tons loaded with extensions, not 45 I think there is a guy with a differential and some other parts up in northern Sask?
Old 05-10-2006, 08:20:14 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,158 Times in 510 Posts

It would be nice to see a diff and the rest of the gearing put in this engine. Although the fellows that were the driving force behind alot of the bigger projects there and the museum in general have passed on. I haven't been to the Rocanville show in a number of years. I wonder if anything will ever be done with it?

Kelly T
Old 05-10-2006, 11:00:59 PM
Registered

theres a fellow in hudson bay sk, has misc peices of another one, first time i have seen this rocanville engine, that makes 4 (units) i know of. they are exactly 44,150lbs empty, and est 55,000 with water and coal.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:13:15 PM
Registered

heres a couple moee close up pics from the saskatoon able. that pump off the int gear is kind of unique i wonder how they worked? where is the 4th Able. does anyone know if the one at Reynods in Alberta has a cosmetic restoration and is on display?

Last edited by Colin; 05-14-2006 at 08:40:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:32:00 AM
Registered

4 engines, Wetaskwin, Hudson Bay, Rocanville, Saskatoon. I'm quite sure the renolds one is just sitting out. theres a nice Reeves restored for display. Just a note, i made that con rod for the pump, also there was nothing there but the plunger and body but theres not much too it. Don't know why no other company used something simular,, oh what do you suppose would happen if you tried to move the engine with the feed water valve closed?? Note: i added a pressure relief.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:42:06 AM
Registered

i was going through some steam tractions and found a pic of an old 32-120 able kevin smal sent in, the heavey beast has double rear extensions and double front wheels its in july aug 2003 p18
Old 05-12-2006, 09:44:36 AM
Registered

I have seen that somewhere too Colin, can you scan it and post it for others too see?
Old 05-12-2006, 10:32:20 AM
In Memory Of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
Jackets are pretty nice. id like to do one someday. maybe on our 80. thought this would be a good place to ask how many states still allow you to run with a jacket on? the only engine ive ran with one is the 40 advance cc at new rockford. a time or to we covered that big stack with a metal garbage can lid, and put in a chunk of RR tie and some coal and we had 15 lbs in the morning The old steamer guy that had been to Winnipeg plowing contest and lived here with dad for a bit used to run a 25 case at Austin with a jacket and he'd do the same thing. dad said he'd rake the fire and add some wood, then crack the blower and look around with a silly smile every time i guess he was proud to have steam first
Is it really true that there are some jurisdictions that do not allow engines to run with jackets on the boilers? I was not aware of that, but it sure might be true? I was only aware that some jurisdictions require the jacket to be removed for inspections--but it was my understanding that they would not mind a bit if you put the jacket back on until the next inspection required its removal again.

I think it would be in everyones best interest not to mention asbestos or the burning of RR ties.
chuck
Old 05-12-2006, 03:29:27 PM
Registered

Thanked 8,242 Times in 2,121 Posts

Chad,
I'll post this for Colin, as I have it in my files.
Gary

Old 05-12-2006, 04:43:08 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts

Well that's one cool looking contraption!!!!!!!!!
Mike
Old 05-14-2006, 04:36:54 PM
Registered

20 Reeves Highwheeler,
Thanks for posting the American-Abell for us. The late Danny Roen let me make copies of the photo that he had. The photo was taken at Birnie,Manitoba in 1911-12. The rear drive wheels with the dual drivers for extensions make it 16 feet wide. A-Abell used a longer front axle to accomodate the extra front wheel extensions. What is interesting is that A-Abell used the heavy flat strap spokes for the front wheels,but these extra front wheel extensions have round spokes. They sure do look like Advance Thresher Company wheels to me. I have read about these engines having trouble with the front end doing a nosedive while plowing, so i would say they tried using those extra wheels for extensions. I would love to hear one of these 32 Canadian Giants in a good hard pull with 200PSI. And thank you to everyone on this thread for sharing and educating me on the American-Abell engines. I hope to see these 32HP engines someday.
KEVIN
Old 05-14-2006, 06:25:32 PM
Registered

Hi Kevin. i forgot about one of these being at Bernie, Man. Dad remembers his dad talking about one and maybe going to see it in the early 50s near Erickson manitoba. that would be not too far west of Birnie, maybe 45 miles as a crow flies. so it could have been the same engine. but its too bad it got cut up that late i guess no one got on the ball quick enough to save it and things were hard to move for the averave guy back then i did a 4 in 1 scan here of the 28 Abel that Danny Roen and John T restored, and the 32 that is in Rocanville now, and the 32 from Saskatoon. 3 of these pictures where taken at Yorkton probably a little before they had a clean up sale. some smaller museums were alowed to pick a few things and buy them from WDM before they had the sale. so that is how that 32 got stuck in Rocanville the 28 has the Green flywheel and is the closest one in the picture of both of them. Can anyone remember the exact year they had the sale, im thinking 86-88 but we can't remember. i can just barely remember being out there for it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aabels.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	8985  

Last edited by Colin; 05-16-2006 at 12:39:53 AM.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:07:01 PM
Registered

HI Colin
Thanks for those nice photos at Yorkton. Danny told me about the 28 coming from that sale and it was back in 1987 when they bought the 28 A-Abell. I wonder how many 28 and 32 HP Engines were actually built??? I know the 32's were only built in 1911-12. Are there any production records at any of the Canadian museums?? Somwhere in another post or thread,I read that A-Abell put a name on each engine they built. The engines were named after the workers who built the engines or something like that right???I boght a few old Iron Men Albums this weekend and in a 1973 issue there is a photo of a 28 and a 32 A-Abell (doubleheading) moving a house somwhere in Canada. Here is another photo of John and Dannys 28 A-Abell that i posted before in the newer pics thread before. I would like to see more pics of these 28 and 32 engines if anyone has them to post. It is interesting that there are more 32 American-Abell engines in existence than 40HP Reeves engines!! KEVIN

Old 05-14-2006, 09:02:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 9,440 Times in 2,018 Posts

Kevin Small
Here's some photos of Danny Roen's 28 h.p. American Abell at Rollag:

Gary K
Old 05-14-2006, 11:52:47 PM
Registered

Far as i know the 32 was built longer then that, long enough that the counter shaft went from like 4-3/4 to 5-1/4 in 1/4 increments, i figured from 09-13, thought they were sold as "the canadian advance line" after 12? I don't see why the front wheels would be any worse then any other engine, relitively the same ground psi, except that the both go into the same mudhole lol. any idea Why there made like that, other then they say more positive steering and no chains to break,,,