Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Steam Plows and Plowing!

this thread has 326 replies and has been viewed 61218 times

Old 11-15-2007, 03:34:15 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 8,238 Times in 2,119 Posts
Default Re: Steam Plows and Plowing!

This first picture was taken near Pownall, Montana. My favorite hill, Square Butte is in the background. Tractors L-R: Pioneer 30-60, Big Four 30, Z-? Peerless, 40hp Reeves US, 40-65 Reeves gas tractor.

This is a closeup of part of the 40hp Reeves, Square Butte and the 40-65.

This is Frank Dvorak's 25 cc Reeves plowing in the Coffee Creek area of the Judith Basin. Notice Square Butte is in the background as well.

This last picture is of a 110hp Best plowing in eastern Montana, pulling multiple horse drawn type of plows.
Gary

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2007, 03:41:22 PM
Registered-III

An Advance plowing near Medicine Lake, Montana.

This is a 22hp undermounted Avery shown plowing near Bozeman, Montana.

This is a very early 30hp Avery plowing in the Judith Basin, near Lewistown.

This is a 30hp Avery plowing on RB Schneider's farm at Fremont, Nebraska, on a postcard I own.
Gary

Old 11-15-2007, 03:47:38 PM
Registered-III

This first picture looks like labor intensive way to plow. Yeska & Abel's 30hp Avery is plowing near Malta, Montana, burning straw.

This second picture is one my late friend Rodney Pitts sent me years ago. It is showing an undermounted Avery pulling an Avery steam lift plow.

This is a picture of a 110hp and a 75hp Case plowing and courtesy of friend Don Bradley. Incidently for those who know him, Don just buried his wife, Phyllis this past Tuesday.

This last post is of the Chapin's near Fort Benton plowing with a 110hp Case.
Gary

Old 11-15-2007, 04:00:11 PM
Registered-III

This first picture is from a Carl Mehmke postcard showing a Holt steam traction engine plowing.

This second picture is one Haston St. Clair owned, showing a 32hp US Reeves and a 32hp Case plowing in Canada.

This is a closeup of the #106 Reeves steam lift plow on the Stillman place, west of Kalispell.

This is a full view of that same 25hp Reeves ds and plow in Pleasant Valley. This is the same engine earlier that has the "dual drivers", as you can see by the hubs in this picture.
Gary

Old 11-15-2007, 07:33:08 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,354 Times in 7,411 Posts

Here are some pictures sent to me a few years ago by Jack Beamish of Hamiota, Manitoba. I hope Jack dosn't mind me using them? They are dated October, 1998.
This shows the Beamish family's excellent 110 Case hauling 14 Oliver plows plus a crow foot packer and harrows. Jack has written on the back that they plowed 8 acres. This must have been at one of their get-togethers at their home place. Maybe Colin will have more to say about the day and some of the people, though he was just a cub back then!??!
G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jb1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	25853   Click image for larger version

Name:	jb2.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	25854   Click image for larger version

Name:	jb3.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	25855  
Old 11-15-2007, 11:55:19 PM
Registered-III

MR 20 REEVES HIGHWHEELER what all could you tell us about fireing with straw while plowing. i would have never thought that could have been done on those big engines pulling a heavy draw bar load. was that a common thing up there back in the day, what engines did that work better in,must have had to reacquire a lot more help then fireing with coal ,just amazing what those old timer's did!!
Old 11-16-2007, 12:41:11 AM
Registered-III

ARU,
I'd never seen it done before I saw this picture. There wasn't a lot of firing with straw in these parts and this is the first time I knew that could be done while plowing. Somewhere else, I have a couple of more pictures in this same type of plowing mode, burning straw. Actually I already posted one. If you will go back to my post 26, and check out the last picture in that post, the Routledge 40hp Reeves is burning straw in the depths of the depression. He couldn't get any money from his banker to put in his crop with gas tractors, so they got the old 40hp Reeves back out and seeded with it... firing with straw. The picture I added, below, is another very early 30hp Avery plowing with straw in North Dakota.

I'm not sure of the time period of this photo. It is possibly the depths of the great depression with dust storms, no rain and little money to work with?

I've noticed in threshing pictures, when firing with straw, the crew poses and smiles with their pitchforks, but the fireman is busy keeping a fire going and pitching his straw.
Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Avery straw burner plowing in North Dakota2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	25863  

Last edited by 20 Reeves Highwheeler; 11-16-2007 at 01:50:17 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:31:11 AM
Registered-III

These pictures are all of Big Forty Gaar-Scott engines plowing. This first one is George Williams' 40hp plowing near Highwood, Montana. Mike's wife, Pam's, grandfather Albert Stordahl is in the picture. He is believed to be the man on the wheel.

This second picture is of a 40hp in their catalog, showing one with the crows nest steerman's platform above. I've often wondered how well it was to see where you were going sitting that high and with a canopy.

This third picture is one sent me by my late friend Tom Stebritz of Ole Hamre's 40hp plowing in North Dakota. Notice this engine has a friction clutch.

This picture was also in the Gaar Scott catalog. It also has the friction clutch. It is purportedly the Hamre engine. I'm not sure it is.
Gary

Old 11-16-2007, 12:24:57 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,605 Times in 2,420 Posts

Ahh, Gary, now you're speaking my language! Talking about the Hamre engine, it's the only one I've seen pics of with the friction clutch. From what I've read, it was a 1907. This makes sense, as the 1908 catalog had some pics of it, but did not feature the 40 in the catalog. (They weren't officially added to the G/S yearly catalog until 1909). According to the parts books, the start of mfg. of the 40's was 1906. I would say Hamre's engine was probably one of the 1st ones, and they made the move away from the friction clutch to the later pin clutch by the 1909 catalog. Interestingly enough, the parts books don't show the friction clutch for the 40.
Mike
Old 11-16-2007, 03:20:34 PM
Sponsor

Gary mentioned the Emerson plows in one of his earlier posts. They were out of Rockford, Illinois and were sold in Canada by Tudhope-Anderson Co of Orillia, Ontario. Tudhope made a range of farm equipment and even made cars. They had major branch houses in Winnipeg, Regina and Calgary.
Here are a couple of pix from Tudhope ads c1907. The Huber one shows some real trick plowing. Not sure you want to try this at home? If my dad had caught me trying to plow in circles, he probably would have kicked my .
The other is quite a rig. I am not sure of the engine but a caption below the ad says a 20hp cross compound? It is a #24 steam plow cutting 20 feet wide and 7" deep on oat ground disced the previous year. "It would take 10 twelve-inch gang plows, 40 horses, 10 men and an investment of $7000 to do as much with horse plows"!
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hubem.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	25902   Click image for larger version

Name:	emer.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	25903  
Old 11-16-2007, 04:23:56 PM
Registered-III

Mike,
I kind of have your Big Fort Gaar Scott info down... pretty well in my head. Evidently that friction clutch was kind of a main clutch on their double engines, or some of them. I know Slim Rennewanz had a 20hp double rear mounted that had it. And I agree with you, any other Big Forty had the pin clutch. It's likely something they discovered early on, they needed a more positive clutch for plowing, then sacrifice the handiness of a friction clutch for threshing or belt work?

Onkel G,
It's really interesting about the Tudhope-Anderson Company. There were "oodles" of Emerson plows used in the Judith Basin. Many of the pictures I posted showed their disk plows being used and the old timers said "Emerson made the best." The topsoil was too shallow for moldboard plows. Once the moldboard penetrated into the "green-yellow gookie clay" it was too late. I posted some more Reeves plowing photos. I hope it doesn't get too overbearing for some? I don't mean it that way. The last two pictures show some of the "trick plowing" you speak of. Their plow would turn either direction in that 19' inner radius. This first picture is one of my favorites. This old US cc is pulling quite a bit of iron along with him and he is obviously trying to keep the outfit moving. My father inlaw used to say, "If it isn't moving, it isn't getting any work done."

This second picture shows Harry Clay on the plow, obviously trying to observe what his invention is doing in the field. Harry often looked for excuses to go out where the steel meets the dirt to observe what works and doesn't work. Mr. Haggard is at right. I forget what his position was at Reeves & Company?

This old 32 cc oil burner is demomstrating "trick plowing" by doing the circle. Their plows would follow either direction and with only a 19' dead spot in the center. They advocated leaving their plows in the ground at the end of the field, to make the return trip back.

This last picture shows what their plow beams were designed to do, when striking a large rock, buried in the ground.
Gary

Old 11-16-2007, 04:37:02 PM
Sponsor

Gary,
Tudhope was a great ol' company with a rich history here. There are a couple of their ol' autos still around - they were a thing of beauty! I think they handled the Emerson-Brantingham lines in the West for years.
As for circle, "trick" plowing, I wonder what kind of strains that put on the main frame, beams, mounts, etc.? I guess I was taught, with any implement, not to be turning with them in the ground! And having repaired farm machinery for a few years, I have fond recollections spending hours welding broken frames on plows, discs, packers and such and adding assorted gussets, braces, brackets and supports. Once those bloody things were broke once, the fun never ended
Oh! All your plowing pictures here are fantastic!
G.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:14:04 PM
Registered-III

This first picture is of a 32 Reeves cc US with "dual drivers" over in northeastern Montana, and courtesy of my old 40 Peerless co-worker and team member here at Kalispell, Doug McDougall.

This second picture is of a late 32 Reeves cc CS over in eastern Montana, courtesy of my late friend Richard Rorvig. Notice the laid down rear water tank, and this is NOT Reeves #6269 Dad and his brothers plowed with.

The late Loren Bowman allowed me to copy two of his pictures, one being this one of a 25hp cc Reeves pulling a steam lift plow and sporting a homemade cab.

I hate to throw in a new plowing photo yet, Onkel G, but I wanted to post a picture of the only OPERATIONAL Reeves steam lift plow extant. For as many as Reeves built and sold, there should be several of these setting around, but not the case. This is SmokStak's own Mike McKnight at one of the museums in Canada, and he was a tadbit younger.

Speaking of Reeves steam lift plows, Lyle Hoffmaster told of Reeves & Company needing some pointers to perfect their plow, so Marshall authorized Harry Clay to invite young, successful steam lift plow builder, Bartholomew of Avery over for that meeting, since he was willing to "help out." After Bartholomew conferred with them, he went back to Peoria and sent R&Co. a bill for $10,000... a pretty healthy sum for circa 1905. A couple of years wages for an engineer of that day?
Gary
Old 11-16-2007, 06:31:35 PM
Registered-III

[QUOTE=20 Reeves Highwheeler;256058],

Quote:

This old 32 cc oil burner is demomstrating "trick plowing" by doing the circle. Their plows would follow either direction and with only a 19' dead spot in the center. They advocated leaving their plows in the ground at the end of the field, to make the return trip back.

Gary
Talk of crop circles lol in that 3rd pic

Last edited by Ben Busfield; 11-17-2007 at 01:11:49 AM. Reason: thanks you to the one w/the help editing :)
Old 11-16-2007, 06:35:45 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
Gary,
Tudhope was a great ol' company with a rich history here. There are a couple of their ol' autos still around - they were a thing of beauty! I think they handled the Emerson-Brantingham lines in the West for years.
As for circle, "trick" plowing, I wonder what kind of strains that put on the main frame, beams, mounts, etc.? I guess I was taught, with any implement, not to be turning with them in the ground! And having repaired farm machinery for a few years, I have fond recollections spending hours welding broken frames on plows, discs, packers and such and adding assorted gussets, braces, brackets and supports. Once those bloody things were broke once, the fun never ended
Oh! All your plowing pictures here are fantastic!
G.
Onkel G,
Look at the beam that dropped off of the plow in that lower picture. Those beams are hinged vertically to purposely swing in the turns. I've never pulled a Reeves plow, but I've pulled enough John Deeres, Cockshutts and a Verity, that I hear what you are saying about them and not to be turning them in the ground.
Gary
Old 11-16-2007, 08:58:16 PM
Registered-III

I like to take off my hat to you guys in here on this thread it has been most enjoyable to read & look at those pictures.. GREAT JOB TO ALL... thanks a bunch

Old 11-16-2007, 11:31:20 PM
Sponsor

Here are some of the star performers from the 1913 Winnipeg Trials. This was the last year of competition at the Canadian Industrial Fair.
First is the 110 Case hauling a 14 bottom Case-Sattley plow. She did 9.340 acres in 117.7 minutes. Drawbar pull was 11,500 lbs. She used 92.6 lbs coal/acre and 837 lbs water.
Second is a 76 Sawyer-Massey (single) hauling a 10 bottom JD with 2 plows lifted. She did 5.29 acres in 91 minutes, av db pull was 7600 lbs, fuel (coal?), 106.9 lbs and 827 lbs water/acre.
Third is the illusive 115 Sawyer-Massey hauling 12 JD plows, 7.845 acres in 109 minutes. Average pull was 9000 lbs, 123.8 lbs coal and940 lbs water.
My goodness, wouldn't it have been nice to be on the ground when these beauties were going through their paces!
G.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wpgcase.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	25919   Click image for larger version

Name:	wpgsm76.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	25920   Click image for larger version

Name:	wpgsm115.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	25921  
Old 11-17-2007, 10:38:34 AM
Registered-III

Gary
Thanks for posting all the pics that one fine set you have there and is real neat to see all of them in one place and get a idea of how it was really done and at some shows to day you dont see a lot of plowing a good distance if you see it here you have to go to the nta for a good sized field witch is too bad its a lot of fun to see ,but i bet the men that had to do it every day and evry year would have someting to sayit was real work ....

does any one know about how meny plows are left ? i have seen some 4 ,6 , 8 and a 10 and hearde of a some 12 bottoms i think it would be neat to have a idea fo a # left
Old 11-17-2007, 10:53:27 AM

Thanked 4,294,967,232 Times in 3,961 Posts

Interesting question Ben.

NTA owns the 10 bottom Cockshutt & the 8 bottom John Deere. Lowell Baker brings his 5 bottom to NTA & Five Points. We have have a 6 bottom Geiser.

Beth
Old 11-17-2007, 10:54:51 AM
Registered-III

and not to takeaway from the out standing older pics but i just had to post this again that was real fun to see a cool port with 2 young girls showing up the men you will just have to do that again Beth so we can watch all the men you see girl 's do know what they are doing !

well that what my mom and grama tell me all the time !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 058.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	25940