Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Treloar Restoration

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 3729 times

Old 06-03-2019, 03:46:55 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,235 Times in 348 Posts
Default Re: Treloar Restoration

Finished two more jobs on the Treloar today The first one was the fuel tank . My cobber in Ashburton made a filler cap for me so that got fitted and soldered in and the top soldered on.

The other day I got hold of some 20 gauge cartridge brass sheet, so today I had a go at making the end cap for the magneto I made a hardwood form on the wood lathe to slightly larger that the size I wanted. The idea was to make a disk with rolled edge then roll a strip to round and solder that onto the disk. Simple in theory and actually not too bad in practice. I had never done this before. It actually after a good clean up and polish, it came out quite acceptable although a tight fit but I am happy with it and it looks the part.
Some photos.

Merv

[IMG]DSCF5302 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCF5301 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCF5299 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2019, 04:58:23 AM
Registered

Hi Merv .
Engine taking shape ,looking good .Thanks for your time the other week most interesting .
Regards Warwick
The Following User Says Thank You to WAL For This Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 07:17:30 PM
Subscriber

Merv, I'm going to ask a very silly question: How do you fellows pronounce Treloar?
Is it Trayloar, Truhloar (truh as in grandmother's "trunk" she traveled with) or perhaps a soft/quick treeloar?
Told ya. I'd like to get it right when talking to other fellows about a MM/TC tractor engine here that has the side valves or IF anyone EVER unearths a 1917 Duesenberg side valve engine.
Thank you.
That interrupter cover and tank turned out great!
Old 06-06-2019, 05:55:37 AM
Registered-II

Interesting question Duey, I did some research to find out where that family came from I was unable to find anything, Undoubtedly If I put enough time into it I could find out. My family originated from Cornwall and go back a long way and having spent time there {I am second generation Kiwi} I am certain Treloar is a Cornish name. Many Cornish names start with Tre.
The the pronunciation is as it sounds Tree-l-oar as in oar with no accented syllables that is how the Cornish say it as well.

Having said all that there are subtle variations to the Kiwi accent particularly in the south, where they roll their R's and places in the north where there is an ethnic influence from the Maori and Pacific islanders. Some would say it as Tr-loar with the accent on the oar and kind of miss out the e'

Thanks for the complement, I am now well on with the cooling tank.

Merv
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 04:38:49 AM
Registered-II

In between looking after for my wife who is disabled and doing all the chores that need to be done. I still manage to get some more jobs done on the Treloar. Progress is slow bit it is going well.

I now have the drive wheel for the magneto dry fitted and timed. the trip arm on the magneto was too short but that was easily taken care of by cutting and welding a 10 mm piece into it. It is now the same as the one I am copying and a good spark is produced.

The disk was made from a cast iron pulley blank, by my friend Graham in Ashburton, it was big enough to get get right dimensions out of. It is held on by a tapered pin. Graham partly tapered the hole and I finished it on the engine with a reamer. It is a perfect fit. All I had to do then was to mark where the slot for the roller had to be.

Monday I was back at Grahams workshop where the slot was cut and the roller and locating bolt was made. He had already made the new components for the Carburetor. I will finish that job as time permits. Meanwhile I have been doing some more to the cooling tank. I am not far of finishing that. I am getting closer to completing the restoration which is encouraging.

Merv.

This is a photo of the finished mag drive dry fitted

[IMG]DSCF5307 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

The new components for the Carburetor

[IMG]DSCF5311 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 03:47:45 AM
Registered-II

I have not done much to the Treloar over the last two weeks, but I have the cooling tank finished and in place. I still have to connect the plumbing and make clamps to hold it in place. After that, all that is left is to get the carburetor operational and connect the fuel. That should happen soon.
Here is another photo.

Merv

[IMG]DSCF5314 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 09:36:05 PM
Registered-II

The last day or two I have been working on the carburetor and fitted the new parts. Yesterday I tested the fuel valve and found it wasn't sealing. We had made a new one using a tiny O ring for the seat. I was reluctant to take apart the one off the other engine. but when I did I found there was a small ball in the seat. I removed the new bits and in the meantime I borrowed that ball, put it in my one and a tap with a punch it sealed properly.

I made the intake shroud that goes over the exhaust so here are photos of the dry fit. One photo is not very good but gives the idea

Merv.

[IMG]DSCF5315 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSCF5316 by Merv Cloake, on Flickr[/IMG]
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Merv C For This Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 11:10:28 PM
Subscriber

Real life sure does slow us down.
I think your progress very good.
Wonderful update!
Thanks Merv.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duey C For This Post:
Old 07-18-2019, 03:15:25 AM
Registered-II

Well, it is alive!
Today I got it to fire up. Once I figured out the settings I got it to settle down and it ran quite well. I took it outside and filled the water tank and gave it a good long run. There are some issues to deal with, like the leak in the water tank. I think there is too much oil in the crank case, as some is being thrown out and causing a smokey exhaust. There is end float on the crank shaft that won't be hard to take out. I think that is one of reasons why oil is coming through the mains on one side. In spite of the issues, I am happy to get it to run well. It has very good compression runs very quiet, in fact the most noise comes from the magneto arm hitting the drive. Not much I can do about that. Here is a short video just after start up.

Merv

https://youtu.be/SjmliYSbJIA
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Merv C For This Post: