Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Fairbanks Morse 118

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2345 times

Old 07-15-2007, 08:47:12 PM
Registered-II

Question Fairbanks Morse 118

Hello all, I'm kinda knew to this oilfield stuff so correct me if I'm wrong. I found a FM 118 for sale. It has the heavy flywheels which is guessed to make it about 7-9 hp and is cooled with a condenser(i think). It has a new sleeve, but needs rings, head gasket, and a rod bearing. I don't know much about it, so can anyone give me some info on it before I think about buying?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2007, 02:52:43 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Fairbanks Morse 118

I have one of them...they are excellent, smooth running engines, and parts are readily available through Hit-and-Miss or Arrow, maybe other sources too. After Fairbanks-Morse sold this product line, several others continued producing them until very recently (maybe someone still makes them, I don't know)

What specifics did you need to know?

rh
Old 07-16-2007, 06:50:39 PM
Subscriber

Quite a few parts for the "oil-field" Fairbanks engines turn up on eBay and I would guess that they will continue to do so for many years to come.

They often sell pretty cheap and they probably should too, so have patience if you go there and don't be hasty.

One note of caution regarding the eBay parts from the oil patches: ask a lot of questions! I can say from first hand knowlege that quite a few ZC "oil-field" Fairbanks parts on eBay are run-out junk parts that were left-overs from repairs and may have extreme wear or other damage (like corrosion, rust, etc).

I think there are some great deals to be had, but a lot of these parts are being sold as-is and with little information in the listing that indicates that they are worn out junk.

Pass on the worn-out junk. Save your bids for the parts that are in great condition, and there are some, now and then.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:53:15 PM
Registered-II

Thanks everyone! I haven't purchased it yet, but now that I know it is a smooth-runner, I am very interested. Can anyone tell me about how old it is? Thanks Again
Andy