Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

Show Insurance

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 3253 times

Old 04-11-2012, 12:49:55 PM
Subscriber

Default Show Insurance

Apparently, our local club, River Bend Steam and Gas, Allendale, MI, is having trouble renewing our show insurance with our past provider. We are a well established show with a clean record. What insurance do some of the other clubs have? With who?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2012, 02:01:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,900 Times in 3,758 Posts
Default Re: show insurance

Not being on the Board, I don't know who our insurance is through, but it would be interesting to see how the rates and coverage compares with different companies.

Would be good information to take along to the next club meeting.

I believe we are 'self insured' as far as property insurance at the railroad and museum complex, (and took a major hit from flooding two years ago), but as far as I know, I THINK the club still buys insurance for during the show at the local Fairgrounds.

What kind of coverage is available ?
At what rates ?
With what deductibles ?
Etc., etc., etc....

Are there any companies that specialize in show insurace ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 04-11-2012, 03:34:24 PM
Registered

They wont renew it or are the rates going up?
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest A For This Post:
Old 04-11-2012, 05:05:53 PM

Thanked 6,837 Times in 4,339 Posts
Exclamation Re: show insurance

The NJAEMC gets its insurance from I believe High Point Insurance, here in NJ. Our rate nearly doubled as our membership rose to over 100 members. It appears that the number of members has a direct bearing on the rates applied!

Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 04-11-2012, 05:23:05 PM
Registered

You need Liability insurance if nothing else to protect you from somthing that you would be liabl for. I would have to check but I think our Liab insuarance is with Western World. I can check and let you know later. Has anything changed like now you have steam and did not before? A couple of years ago, I got a call from a underwriter that wrote the Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Clubs policys, wanting to know how we got insurance and had steam at our show. I told her we have no problem getting the coverage. She said at that point she had some shows in MI that could not buy insurance because they have steam at the shows. I will check my paperwork and get back to you later.
Terry

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

You could try Early Days and Gas Engine Assc, But dont even think about it if you have a train. Otto, Freeport would be out and so are we as both have steam trains. Some insurance goes by the # of Members, but most rates are set by # of peopel through the gate. That is how our rate is set.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terry Welch For This Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 08:02:58 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest A View Post
They wont renew it or are the rates going up?
Thanks for your response, guys. My understanding is the past provider will not cover us, not a rate issue. We have 2 steamers, one traction and one portable. No train. Parked our people mover last year because of insurance. Have a clean record and have made no changes.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:23:12 AM

Thanked 4,294,967,134 Times in 3,931 Posts

Len,

NTA uses the Stapleton Insurance Group out of Ohio. Craig Kachmarik is our agent. I'll PM his phone number.

Beth
Old 04-13-2012, 08:06:50 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Show Insurance

It sounds like our guys have a couple of good leads on insurance providers. Our past agent is just not responding. Don't know why. Thanks for your help, friends.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:44:14 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,210 Times in 3,164 Posts

Any insurance co or written policy is only as good as the local agent. If the agent works against you the policy is worse than worthless, the company always will go by the recomendations of their agent. As you can see if a different agent takes over things can change dramaticaly on their end even if no change on the customers end. F.J.W.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:55:12 AM
Registered

Our club does have Western World for our Liab coverage. I checked with our agent and he is not licensed to sell in Mich. But you could try Associated Insurance in Sussex WI. Jim Stein has sold insurance to collectors for years. He is licensed in Mich. Here is his e-mail, jimstein@associnscenter.com he is very aggresive on getting you coverage.
Terry
Old 05-08-2012, 04:09:35 PM
Registered

I had gotten a quote from 2 or 3 different insurance providers for the Darke County show a few years ago. I can't remember the insurance companies right off hand. I believe that the current provider for the club is out of Columbus, Ohio. There are still providers out there for clubs with steam. Don't get discouraged At Miami Valley Steam Threshers their local insurance agent usually sponsors the parade through town. If I remember correctly it should be in the ballpark of 4 grand a year. Maybe quite a bit less if you don't have your own grounds, buildings, equipment, etc. As with all insurance I would say it's always good every few years to get a competitive quote.