Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

Osage, Iowa show and videos

this thread has 147 replies and has been viewed 19445 times

Old 08-28-2006, 03:13:13 PM
Registered

Thanked 8,265 Times in 2,127 Posts
Default Re: Osage, IA show...and videos

It looks like those three 110s are about to run out of pre-plowed ground in another 150' or so?
Gary
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2006, 03:37:54 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,860 Times in 7,565 Posts

Has anyone picked up the torch as far as doing the brake and hp demos since Mr. Rixmann passed away? It was most enjoyable to sit there at Rollag and watch him work the different engines and big tractors. He could sure put on a show and you could sit there all day and watch, listen and learn
As far as the maximum output, that was ok; but just having him put them through their paces at different loads did more for me. I was just re-reading Mr. Rixmann's excellent story in the Feb/March 1997 Engineers & Engines of testing Mr. Roen's and Mr. Tysse's 28 Abell engine. The big 10x14 was operated by Mr. Hall and Mr. Pollock and impressed everyone with her smooth performance. They had her putting out 117 horses at one point, evidently with rpms to spare! That engine would sound nice on the plow!
G.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:16:11 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,296 Times in 734 Posts

i think that ground was pre packed for them gary

Last edited by Colin; 08-29-2006 at 12:04:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 04:21:10 PM

Thanked 20,771 Times in 6,010 Posts

I guess it's time for a refresher and this is as good a place and time as any:

I just want to say how honored I feel to have been "appointed" moderator of this forum.
I'm NOT here as a resident "KNOW IT ALL".
Harry has placed a lot of "controls" at my disposal which include moving posts from THIS forum to another if they don't fit the format of the forum. I have unlimited editing capabilities and that includes YOUR posts. If you posted something and your editing option has expired just ask me and I'll consider it if it is appropriate ie: new information. I will NOT, however, edit an old post to save face....yours OR mine!
I have made some errors here and they shall remain.
I'd rather take a chance and CONTRIBUTE than sit on my hands and do nothing because I might make a mistake.
So my stupid errors shall remain.....if for no other reason.....than to make YOU feel better...........
ON THE OTHER HAND, outright personal attacks won't last long here.
FIGHT all you want.....just KEEP IT CLEAN.....
Craig
Old 08-28-2006, 05:42:31 PM
Registered

i am in no way the smart one on steam, But with looking at the picture of those steamers pulling the 60 bottom plows, it does look very cool,
back even then, they had big plows to do the great plains, but i bet those steamers would be pullng a heck of alot harder on unprep fields, but i can see why they did it here, why tear up your toys, for just a demostration,on how it really was like, back in the day,, so what they are case engines, someone would say the same thing if they were Reeves or Fricks or bakers,etc, etc, but its fun reading you all ripp on Colin.(lol)or have different veiws( lol ) just to tease the poor lad..
sorry colin, could not help myself

melon
Old 08-28-2006, 06:28:15 PM
Registered

BDMelon,
Twenty bottoms are the most I have record of, of a factory built plow. However, most plows could be added onto to increase their size and are referred to, in many cases, as "book case" type, in reference to the yestercentury glass front book cases that could be stacked as high as desired, then completed with a finished top. I doubt many of these were used to break with in larger sizes. I've heard stories of larger sizes being assembled and used.

One thing I was amused with was when Albin Carlberg Jr. stated that they pulled sixteen bottoms breaking sod and 14 bottoms plowing cropland with their 32 Reeves cross compound Canadian Special, up in Canada. In my finite mind, I thought you would pull less plows in the tough going breaking sod, but more in already plowed cropland. He stated that the engine had better traction breaking sod, therefore could pull two more bottoms then. I don't know whether that was an across the board rule, or an isolated incident.

Please read the caption below, which pretty much states how big the plows normally got. This was an identical engine as Carlberg's, in this photo of Arlo Jurney pulling a 20 bottom plow, in (I believe?) Saskatoon, or "Stoon" as Arlo stated it. While this 32 cc pulled this plow in this "case", it would have been too much plow on a permanent basis. Plowing to the "max" like this would bring out problems in days or weeks of doing this. These farmers put a load on their engine that they could stand on a day after day basis, and that is why you don't see very many huge moldboard plows out there in yesteryear's photos. It was different with disk plows. You could cut more footage with disk plows. My dad and his brothers cut a 36' swath on flat land with their 32 cc and their six sections of six disk Emerson plows.

I spent enough hours on the late Austin Monk's 40 Peerless pulling 20 bottoms to know that it could and would do that (for a while), but I also know that eventually, it would (will?) find the engine's weak spots.
Gary

Old 08-28-2006, 06:32:49 PM
Registered

thanks for that information, it was great ,sure helpful in understanding
more about this

Brian
Old 08-28-2006, 06:48:53 PM
Registered

Hi wheeler, I saw that engine [40 Peerless] this past wkend pulling 20 bottoms in red clay that had been sunbaked for a long time with no rain. They had pulled a subsoiler a few inches deep, about 6-8 ft apart to help some. It did ok, and was making some pretty stack music. I got some video, but its analog, so can't post it here.
I also got to "man-handle'" the lever on a 12 bottom behind a 28 Minnie in that field too. It did ok with 12 too.
A young man with a 50 Case pulled 8 bottoms in the same fileld, after he got enough steam up.
And for all who missed it,the Somerset Va Pasture Party was a "hot" affair, in more ways than one. I think the heat index was 108 on Sat. But it was a good show with some very nice engines.
I even got to take a turn on the controls of a 50 Case, for the first time since 1969. I only jerked the teeth off a cple gears, and only lost 2-3 passengers.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:24:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,722 Times in 535 Posts

Hey Farquhar,
It was nice meeting you this weekend. Here are a couple pics of the Peerless in the field. 2 of the pics are screenshots from the video I got, so they are a little blurry. I wish I could share the video on here, but it's 140Mb!!!

Here's the plow after pulling a row, it got all clogged up with corn stalks that they had to clean out every now and then. That red clay was seriously rock hard though!

Here's the engine working pretty hard!

And making a turn right in front of us.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:05:24 PM
eMail NOT Working

Hi Brad

Who was the engineer? It looks alot like John!
Old 08-28-2006, 09:47:49 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,134 Times in 3,931 Posts

Hey Gary!

Excellent point. For those of us that farm or use machinery, most do not beat them to the max everyday as it would not be efficient and definately expensive on the repair end. Demonstrations are meant to show what they can do in a controlled environment (ie tractor pulls).

While I cannot make it to Rollag, I would really like to see a 110 Case (or even a 32 Case) show its stuff. I don't want to see it beat to death, but it would be fun to see it "flex" its muscles.

Tim, that looks like John up there in his nice red shirt! That Z has alot of horses (and has a REEVES boiler! ). Austin did a wonderful job on that old girl.

Gee Colin, I guess I am a ...Really 110's and Cases in general, are not a bad engine, we just prefer other makes for our own reasons. Celebrate that you have the lineup that you do.

Beth
Old 08-28-2006, 09:53:32 PM
Registered

Brad,
I will never tire of seeing another picture of the Peerless plowing. I have lots of analog video of it. That was about the only beauty I could see in being home in bed with the flu, this past winter... I got to watch steam video and like I said, the Peerless doesn't get tiring to me. I always feel like I have dirt in my nose, ears and eyes after watching a bunch of video plowing.

Thanks for posting the pictures.
Gary
Old 08-28-2006, 10:07:44 PM
Registered

Good eye Beth, that was John engineering. He did a lil "shim" work on one of the bearings early Sat morn. The bearing cap on that baby must weigh 75 lb.
And I handed him about a pickup load of wood Sun morning to get the fire going. That old gal has a big appetite for dry cedar.
And Brad, it was a pleasure meeting you & your family there. I hope you can make the trade for the Case portable in your "backyard".
Old 08-28-2006, 10:29:47 PM
Registered

Farquhar,
I'm glad you mentioned the Peerless' appetite for wood (and it had an appetite for water too). When I wrote the story of Austin Monk in Steam Traction a few years ago, I mentioned something like using a third or half a cord of wood for "a round." I think I said something like 350 gallons of water too. Austin used to say it took a half cord of wood and 500 gallons per round, but I didn't want to sound like I was exaggerating, so I shaved it back.
Gary
Old 08-28-2006, 10:36:01 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,860 Times in 7,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Anderson
I guess it's time for a refresher and this is as good a place and time as any:

I just want to say how honored I feel to have been "appointed" moderator of this forum.
I'm NOT here as a resident "KNOW IT ALL".
Harry has placed a lot of "controls" at my disposal which include moving posts from THIS forum to another if they don't fit the format of the forum. I have unlimited editing capabilities and that includes YOUR posts. If you posted something and your editing option has expired just ask me and I'll consider it if it is appropriate ie: new information. I will NOT, however, edit an old post to save face....yours OR mine!
I have made some errors here and they shall remain.
I'd rather take a chance and CONTRIBUTE than sit on my hands and do nothing because I might make a mistake.
So my stupid errors shall remain.....if for no other reason.....than to make YOU feel better...........
ON THE OTHER HAND, outright personal attacks won't last long here.
FIGHT all you want.....just KEEP IT CLEAN.....
Craig
Say now, despite what everyone says about him, that Mr. Anderson is actually a real gentleman through and through. Even when he's slappin' the nasty-boys down, he is still nice and his language is sweet Thank you for all your hard work good man.
G.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:43:16 PM
Registered

Gary, the rounds in Somerset weren't too long, but you can see a cloud of coal smoke in Brads pics hanging around, and I bet thare was a few lbs of coal involved in that too. I had eat enuff dust the day before on the plow, so I never got to see the fireman work on the Peerless, at least not unless you count that cloud of smoke. It was hot enough there that the injectors were getting a lil "stubborn" at times too.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:52:38 AM
Registered

Farquhar,
Who was firing the Peerless, making my friend John look good up there? He was the guy making this thing "go!"
Gary
Old 08-29-2006, 12:32:34 PM
Registered

I found out, the guy making it go for John was son Jimmy!
Old 08-29-2006, 01:39:53 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,532 Times in 528 Posts

i just recieved some peerless stuff from jack hottel. THANKS JACK!!!
it says the 40 is RATED at 199 hp on the brake!!! that is some serious power.

Last edited by JBoogie; 08-29-2006 at 02:08:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:02:34 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,630 Times in 2,437 Posts

Whoa dude, that's, like, 1 HP more than a 110 Case pulled one time years ago.....................
Mike