Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Fuels and Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Fuels and Alternative Fuels Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Fuels and Alternative Fuels

propane anyone? ford truck

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 9201 times

Old 12-27-2013, 08:02:56 PM
Registered

Default Re: propane anyone? ford truck

In the 1980's I drove a propane delivery truck. My boss gave me all the propane I could burn in exchange for occaisionally using my pickup for the company. I loved it. '79 chevy 350stock and a '82 chevy with a 'warmed up" sb400. Cold weather starts(down to 0 deg.) for me were better on LP than gasoline. The only reason I'm not using it now is I need all my bed space. I still have my LP system. I think now they have systems that work with the on board computer.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2013, 09:44:29 PM
Registered

Another reason I don't use it anymore is because Texas makes you pay the road tax for all the miles you drive if you have an LP system, so when you burn gasoline you're being double taxed. The tax is paid once a year based on the odometer. The federal tax is paid by the gallon just like gasoline. At least it used to be that way. I guess the epa don't like LP as an alternative fuel although it's very clean'

Jeff
The Following User Says Thank You to motormanjeff For This Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 08:23:10 PM
Registered

When I posted this thread last year I really didn't think I would get this much response. It has been interesting reading along with the debate. All I know is that my truck runs good in the cold and in the heat. Fuel is cheap (relatively speaking). I love my truck and I laugh all the way to the bank every month. As far as I am concerned I would like to be using propane for the rest of my life.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bryce D For This Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 08:40:22 PM
Registered

there's my baby.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050187.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	187426   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050189.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	187427  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bryce D For This Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 02:16:13 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,149 Times in 751 Posts

Lots of slightly off statements here about what you can and cannot do on LPG.

Europe is very big on LPG for road vehicles, countries like Holland have LPG at every service station, in the UK we have a fair number and we can get almost anywhere on our gas (gas) tanks and our gas (petrol) tanks.

Petrol is $7 or so a UK gallon, maybe a bit more, LPG is about half the price.

We run a 1999 Land Rover 4.0 V8 on LPG. We pull a maximum load trailer with it and we reckon we are probably down about 5-6hp or so, maybe even less, out of 185hp. Talk of 20% sounds a lot to me, but the way the engine gets the fuel makes a big difference.

BUT: we have multipoint injection which makes a BIG difference to how the engine performs.

The fuel injection system on the 1999 to 2004 Land Rover is Bosch Motronic with multipoint injection, ie one injector per cylinder.

Green petrol injectors and the stubs for the individual LPG pipes:

Another shot of the top of the engine during the rebuild:

Gas valve blocks on top of the inlet manifold:

On gas, we have a Zavoli ECU which switches over the drives from the petrol injectors to the LPG injectors, and everything else remains the same. The O2 sensors, MAF etc etc are all stock and are not modified.

The compression ratio is standard 9.5:1, we haven't touched that, the valves were hand lapped when we put the new engine in, and 45000 miles later they didn't need much more than hand lapping again, we haven't had any burnt seats or valves.

Change-over is automatic, the car starts on petrol and switches to LPG when there's enough heat in the vapouriser. You can force a start on LPG if you want, it will do it but likes a bit of heat in the engine first.

We've had this system on the car since we bought it, it was originally fitted in 2005. We have done 62,000 miles with it and it is great. We are just fitting some extra tankage to increase our range between fill ups, at present they are small tanks under the door sills and we get about 155 out of 48 litres. The new tanks will give us double that.

The LPG ECU can be tweaked via a laptop for cut-in rev's, temperature to switch over at and so on.

When we have the 60wheel drawbar trailer on the back and with the Ruston & Hornsby loaded, we are grossing nearly 6 tons.

Oil stays clean far longer than on petrol, we run the engine on Chevron Supreme 10W-40 Diesel oil, as we find it works well with the LPG. Oil changes are mandated at 12000 miles, we find that the oil on the dipstick is still clear at that mileage, but we still change the oil and filter.

I'd recommend it to anyone.

Peter
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ListerDiesel For This Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 03:44:31 PM
Defective Email Address

Thanked 1,008 Times in 417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListerDiesel View Post
Lots of slightly off statements here about what you can and cannot do on LPG.
Peter
No doubt! Prior to this thread I had never heard of having to start on gasoline and switch over to LP. Spent much of my youth aboard lpg Farmalls and they would start at any temperature that you would expect a gasoline engine to start, in Nebraska anyway. If they wouldn't it was because of a problem with the system, not the propane. The old 4-cylinder models were the best, when the sixes came along we had a lot of valve problems with them. We would start them on vapor and leave them there unless they started to act silly and then open the liquid, the sixes seem to like the liquid a lot more than the fours did. Had a 22-ft Ford tandem with a 391 that burned valves bad until it got some wicked expensive sodium filled valves that seemed to have cured it. The Farmall C and the 8n Ford ran on vapor only through a demand regulator, no heat at all, and I'm going to have to run out in the yard and look but I kinda' think the F30 Farmall is set up the same way. I think it may boil down (pun intended) to the size of the tank vs. the engine's demands. I'm running a 454 Chevy on vapor with no heat off of a 500 gallon tank with about ten feet of 3/8ths fuel line, pulling around 60hp. I didn't need or want that much engine but it's all I had at the time, I left it there so far because it's only using 5 gallons per hour, I don't know if I will gain anything by switching to a 350 or 305 that will be loaded a little more, but I'm going to change it out and find out this summer. The 454 will start and operate below freezing, no problems. We had a pair of '72 Chevy 1/2 ton 350 cu.in. pickups with the dual fuel setups installed when they were new, one went over 250K with a lot of hard miles and the other topped 300K under ideal care, they each took a timing chain and a couple of broken exhaust manifolds but neither of them had a head off. After a decade or two the Quadrajets got dry and obnoxious and they were perfectly happy to run lp only. The road vehicles all had an electric fuel shut-off and the vapor and liquid valves stayed on all the time. The gas carb on my little 9hp Briggs & Stratton generator has gotten sticky so now it uses lp all the time. FWIW
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine Whisperer For This Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 07:23:52 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,280 Times in 1,929 Posts

[QUOTE=Bill Wehrman;The gas carb on my little 9hp Briggs & Stratton generator has gotten sticky so now it uses lp all the time. FWIW[/QUOTE]

You buy a kit for the B&S?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:43:47 PM
Defective Email Address

[QUOTE You buy a kit for the B&S?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and there is not much too it, just a spacer that fits between the carb and air filter and a demand regulator, really clean install. No change to the gasoline carb with this kit so you can use either fuel, I think you can get lp only also. Always starts on lp on the third pull. I got the kit from an outfit in TX but can't recall the name. Kinda' wanting to put my Grasshopper mower on lp too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine Whisperer For This Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 09:47:28 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,038 Times in 3,098 Posts

The old Ensign system that was original to the Farmall's was probably the easiest to start and run. There was a lot of them around here till the 100+ hp diesels took over and they had a good record. There was also a lot of MM propane tractors around, they always started good in cold weather. I think they used the Century setup. The MF 97 LP we have has been easy to run but it likes it fuel, It turns out a bit over 100 HP. After all the price rip offs in the fuel industry we try to keep the different fuel tractors so we can use what ever fuel we can save on. LP was looking good til this last so-called shortage, they have jumped it from 1.56 to over 5.00 per gallon in just the past 3 weeks.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:37:20 PM
Defective Email Address

We used a beat up 560lp to load cattle feed at remote locations and fitted it with a propane fueled block heater that fed off of the tractor. It worked okay, you had to try to park it out of the wind or it would blow out.