Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Railroads and Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Railroads and Equipment Vintage Rail Engines, Vintage Railroads and Cars, Equipment and Lore

Railroads and Equipment

End of the Line

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1030 times

Old 03-05-2019, 11:35:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,610 Times in 2,325 Posts
Default End of the Line

This documentary short offers a nostalgic look at the steam locomotive as it passes from reality to history. In its heyday, the big smoke-belching steam engine seemed immortal. Now, powerful and efficient diesels are pushing the old coal-burning locomotives to the sidelines, and the lonely echo of their whistles may soon be a thing of the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg9_TnwrCXw
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2019, 02:30:35 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,869 Posts
Default Re: End of the Line

Internal combustion engines are a passion of mine, and electricity is my favorite phenomenon, yet I really and truly lament missing the era of steam on the railroad.

"We", as a society, are quick to throw away the past, to cast aside history. Always in a hurry to change. Hell bent on change. Change just for the sake of change! The shear number of sights and sounds and experiences that are gone forever is staggering. Too many to list, and no doubt many that are so lost that they are no longer even known to have existed. Not just big obvious things. Subtle things too. The sounds of old refrigerators. What a telephone ringer is supposed to sound like. The sounds of old automobiles. Heck, the sounds of old Detroit or Cummins diesel trucks plying the highway in the middle of the night.

Even the distinctive sound of those old naturally aspirated EMD 567s in that film have become exceedingly rare. The 645s that I so loved listening to 30 years ago are also becoming scarce. And now the 710 no longer has a future.

With each step forward, more sole is lost. Modern stuff has no sole. It's all been carefully engineered out. Cheap, soleless plastic is king. We've become a throw - it - away society.

That film was really neat. Thanks for sharing it.

Keith
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 03:26:20 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,789 Times in 780 Posts

Keith, Well said.

Casertractor, Thanks for the video.

Robert
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Railroads For This Post:
Old 03-07-2019, 05:10:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,774 Times in 1,869 Posts

Just today I heard something on the radio about Alcatraz having been built over some kind of Civil War military installation? Evidently this had not been known until recently. Have to look into it. The Civil War really wasn't all that long ago, and was of course less than one hundred years prior to the building of Alcatraz.

Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 10:25:31 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,239 Times in 2,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
Heck, the sounds of old Detroit or Cummins diesel trucks plying the highway in the middle of the night. Keith
Great post K.
It gave me a memory of one of my my motorcycle trips out west. I was tired from riding maybe 800 miles on one day, laying in my tent at a KOA somewhere in Norcal. The freeway was on a long grade. As I was dozing off I hear a Detroit, probably a 318 screaming as the driver deftly clicked umpteen downshifts to make the grade. Eventually the sounds faded and I faded into sleep.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 11:49:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanks for the very interesting documentary . My dad took me to look ata train wreck in about 1943 where 2 trains hit head on in the middle of the night in Pefferlaw Ont. Thanks John. Bill H.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BHoward For This Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 12:13:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
Just today I heard something on the radio about Alcatraz having been built over some kind of Civil War military installation? Evidently this had not been known until recently. Have to look into it. The Civil War really wasn't all that long ago, and was of course less than one hundred years prior to the building of Alcatraz.

Keith
I'd be dubious about that... but just my Utah history bias. California was indeed a state during civil war, by 11 years before 1861 start. Nevada joined before end. Guess only Utah was left out of any involvement in West... statehood witheld until 1896 due to polygamy offending congress.

Uh, nope. Oregon, Washington, Montana 1889, Idaho, Wyoming 1890. So only California and Nevada were West states during civil war. Colorado 1876.. and Arizona and New Mexico not till 1912! Gosh, I thought Utah was last holdout.

So... there could have been a military installation on Alcatraz... but can't see any reason for civil war involvement.
Doc
Old 03-08-2019, 03:31:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,200 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHoward View Post
Thanks for the very interesting documentary . My dad took me to look ata train wreck in about 1943 where 2 trains hit head on in the middle of the night in Pefferlaw Ont. Thanks John. Bill H.
. Was this the wreck you were at? That area has seen its fair share of wrecks!

https://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/ne...hoto/499295587
The Following User Says Thank You to David Hoover For This Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 06:40:36 PM
Subscriber

No David. The one I was at there were two steamers hit head on . Both engines remained on the track but the cars were everywher. There were dead cattle and pigs lying around all frozen. It was one of those nights that it was -40 . Do you have any info on the one you posted? If that is in that area I was probably there too. That one is a diesel. I can remember at least 3 within 1 mile of there, and another one a few miles up the line at Beaverton. Bill H.

---------- Post added at 05:40:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17:58 PM ----------

David. That one you posted was just last yere. I was not at that one. I was only 10 years old when my dad took me in the 28 Ford. I,m 86 now. Bill H.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:04:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,998 Times in 1,200 Posts

I wonder what makes that track so dangerous? That’s some bad luck history!
The Following User Says Thank You to David Hoover For This Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 07:15:26 PM
Subscriber

I think that,s the main line to the west. It gets a lot of traffic .