Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Surface grinder

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 553 times

Old 04-11-2019, 06:40:07 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,526 Times in 1,105 Posts
Default Surface grinder

A friend gave me this Sanford surface grinder, I didn't have one so I'm glad t get it. It seems to be in good shape. It came with three magnetic chucks, two permanent and one 120 volt. The 120 volt wasn't working, just a loose connection, as antique as it looks it works well. There was a end mill sharpening jig, looks like it did a decent job for my first try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	surface grinder 1.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	332477   Click image for larger version

Name:	surface grinder 2.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	332478   Click image for larger version

Name:	surface grinder 3.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	332479  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2019, 07:11:18 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,064 Posts
Default Re: Surface grinder

Good score. Do yourself a favor and set up a plastic curtained grind booth. Don't want that abrasive grit spreading through your shop.
Doc
(p.s. Gorgeous Vette!)
Old 04-11-2019, 10:21:49 AM
Registered-III

Thanks Doc, I have a lean to shed outside with my blasting cabinets, I may put it out there with a drop cover when not in use. The Vette has been around since 1978, finally finished it last year.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:27:41 AM
Subscriber

So Snoopy Me , nice vett by the way , what are the 3 engines on the floor next to vett
Wayne

---------- Post added at 08:27:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24:31 AM ----------

Check Steve Summers on u -tube he's working on a grinder , maybe some good tips for u
Wayne
The Following User Says Thank You to OrgWayne For This Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 11:44:25 AM
Registered-III

The first engine is a Kenner Marine Engine, made in New Orleans, came out of a sunken logging boat in the swamp near here. It will be my next project, nice looking open crank, exposed camshaft. The second is a Holiday marine engine, it was in a grocery boat that went into the swamps and swapped groceries and supplies for fish and crabs, the third is a Palmer YT2.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 11:47:18 AM
Registered-II

I bought an old 8" X 20" Galmeyer and Livingston surface grinder many years ago and its first job was to grind an anvil's face. I thought I'd just grind it "dry". Bad idea. I took me 2 weeks to clean up the shop after that experience.
Grinding anvil faces is the main job that grinder does. I take a 2 thou deep pass with 50 thou advance and about 2 inches per second feed rate. I hardly ever do an anvil that takes less than 30 thou to clean up, so I make a lot of dust.
I went with a homemade coolant system after that and never regretted it.

Maybe, if you are using your surface grinder for doing stuff like sharpening end mills and touching up from a milling operation, you wouldn't have too much of a dust problem.
I did take some evening classes at a vo-tech school where they had a super power suction system that worked pretty well. So that might be another option.

If I had a vote, I wouldn't put a surface grinder outside and expect it to do precision work.

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination,
Pete Stanaitis
---------------
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Spaco For This Post: