Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Bench top milling machines?

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 1633 times

Old 04-12-2019, 05:47:51 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Bench top milling machines?/Rust control

LPS-3.
Slightly more user friendly than cosmoline. Sprays on.

Pete Stanaitis
----------------
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2019, 02:44:21 AM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,235 Times in 348 Posts
Default Re: Bench top milling machines?/Rust control

I have had one for thirty years. As others have said, a great drill press. I have used it for milling simple jobs and it was perfectly fine for that type of work.
It does need some work done on it now to get it back to be able to mill with it.

Merv.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:36:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,243 Times in 2,660 Posts
Default Re: Bench top milling machines?

As to protectant, we all see signs for Amsoil. A buddy sells the line and he talked me into their rust proofers. There are two grades of these rattle can wonders. MP1 and MP2

MP1 is a thin product. For machined parts it's very good. I have a piece of steel about 2 wide by a foot long that I slab milled and bolted to my milling machine to accept mag bases for dial indicators. After about 4 years it's still perfect. And this is in the humid wisconsin area and the garage where the cars drag in salt brine all winter. Every year I just give it a squirt and it's good.

MP2 is a thinned out tan colored product. Spray it on and after a day or two it dries out leaving a relatively thick waxy film. I've used this on cars, squirting it on body welds, those countless brackets that rust off, in rocker panels and doors. Amazing stuff. I've also used it as chain lube.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:11:04 AM
Registered-III

I use a product here called Lanox. It is Inox mixed with lanolin and does a great job in keeping surface rust at bay. I now have gone to buying it in 5 litre bottles and use a squirty bottle to apply it. I live near a salt water river where it will rust out plastic buckets and this stuff works well. I don't think it would last as long as the MP1 product mentioned which sounds like a great product. I also buy Lanolin grease which is thick and protects steel until you remove it.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:48:25 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by b7100 View Post
In regards to the surface rust you mentioned - it's always a problem. I have come across a product called fluidfilm. It is used to rust proof cars (I just did my truck). It has excellent reviews. There are special tools used to inject it into the fenders/body of cars. You can buy an aerosol can of it at Oreilies. I started using it on my lathe and mill. So far it seems to do an excellent job. And good luck in getting a new home for your toy collection.
Also good on painted surfaces, with Fluidfilm dust does not stick to it and makes cleaning easier
Its a wonderful product, been using it for many years