Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

Ferguson tractor with Davis Rear mount loader

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 565 times

Old 05-02-2019, 04:09:22 PM
Registered

Default Ferguson tractor with Davis Rear mount loader

I just bought the pieces of a Ferguson tractor with a rear-mounted Mid-Western/Davis 500 loader. Looking around, i believe it is the predecessor of the MF 1001 Loader, and is a reversed TO-30 tractor. I'll know for sure when I pick it up this Saturday.

The reason the guy I bought it from tore it down, was because the differential ring gear and pinion were lunched. he tried to get a diff off an 8N to work, but the splines were different, so there it sat.

A couple of the big questions I have are:
-Will a TO-20 ring gear and pinion work in a TO-30?
-Do any manuals exist for the Davis 500 loader?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2019, 11:22:35 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Ferguson tractor with Davis Rear mount loader

that is a close call the to-20 may fit the to-30, if you can down load the manual that will tell you. I do know the 30 wasn't changed much from the 20 unlike the to-35 (way different tractor)...
Old 05-06-2019, 12:33:51 AM
Registered

So I have picked it up and have laid it out.

According to the serial number (TEA-424xxx), it is a 1954 TEA20-85. The gearbox is magnesium, the steering column is one piece with the gearshift cover, and it has a standard engine. So I am fairly confident it is a TE fergie.

The differential housing where the pinion tail bearing is was previously broken, then brazed back in place. The differential is completely missing (the PO is going to keep an eye out for it in his shop), but the pinion that was there looks pretty chewed up.

The PO's original plan was to take a housing and differential from a Ford N-series, and bolt that onto the gearbox. That housing and differential were included with the purchase, but no axles shafts came with the Ford housing.

The input shaft splines were different between the two brands, but the other issue is I think the casting would not allow us to flip the differential around to allow us to reverse the travel - Not without cutting away some metal, at least.

And that's not getting into fitting the Ferguson axles onto the Ford differential, which I am not sure is even possible if the input shaft is any indication.

I'll turn some wrenches and look at that Ford housing a little closer. I might be able to get a machine shop to make an adapter for me if the differential can work, otherwise I'll start saving up for some salvage yard shopping.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:20:46 AM
Registered

Nope, Ford differential won't fit the axles. I either have to find a set of Ford axles or a housing/diff for a Ferguson.

Is there any differences in the rear axle and differential during the TO/TE 20 production? Fawcett tractor is telling me none of their tractors would work with mine, so I would like to confirm that.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:29:10 PM
Registered-II

not sure, the te was made in England, deferent tooling and bolt size I would think...