Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers and pumps.

Farm Antiques and Collectibles

Unknown Burr Mill ID

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 435 times

Old 06-03-2019, 07:59:45 PM
Registered

Default Unknown Burr Mill ID

Hello, an elderly friend has offered to give me this little burr mill if I will clean it up and get it running. I know nothing about these machines and have been trying to research it with multiple searches without positive ID. Could someone please help ID it and also any advice on restoration would be helpful. My next step is to begin disassembly and cleaning. My preference would be to remove the electric motor and power it with an old hit-miss engine if possible. Thanks. Glenn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mill02.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	336287   Click image for larger version

Name:	mill04.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	336288   Click image for larger version

Name:	mill07.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	336289   Click image for larger version

Name:	mill08.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	336290  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2019, 12:39:56 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Unknown Burr Mill ID

My best guess is that this is an Associated grinder sold through Montgomery Wards. Don Tomlinson would be the go-to guy on Associated stuff. This machine shares some similarities with the C.S. Bell and David Bradley "Little Wonder" machines, but it is not one of theirs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebaroni For This Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 02:05:42 PM
Registered-II

"shaker/sifter box that Jeberoni designed"

Jeb, Jim mentioned this in a post. Could you repost the design?

God bless
Old 06-04-2019, 05:23:23 PM
Registered-III

Here ya go, Mike!

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showt...bradley+sifter
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebaroni For This Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 06:32:11 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,416 Times in 660 Posts

I'd like to hop on here with, what is the difference between a burr mill and grist mill? I have a big box thing from 1880's that advertising calls it a grist mill. thanks 4 any help.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:16:42 AM
Registered-III

Burr mill/Buhr mill/Feed Grinder/Gristmill is a lot like Fiddle/Violin. They're really essentially all the same thing, more or less. The difference is primarily in what the words MEAN to the person who is speaking them.

"Grist" is anything that is ground up by a mill, or which can be converted from something useless into something useful. So technically, a mill which is grinding wheat into flour and one that is grinding corn into animal feed could both technically be called "gristmills".

"Burr/Buhr" refers to the part which actually grinds the grain. "Burr" usually refers to a metal plate and "Buhr" is more properly used to refer to large stone grinding wheels (millstones).

And a "Feed grinder" is exactly what you think it is. This term is a little more vague as it could also be referring to hammer mills and other means of grinding which do not involve rotating plates.

Now in common everyday use, the term "Burr Mill" = "Buhr Mill" = "Feed Grinder" = a small grinder with metal plates used to make animal feed. "Gristmill" is almost exclusively used to refer to those which use stones to grind with. Kinda why you never really hear people talking about "the old water-powered burr mill down by the river...."

To make things more complicated, the quartz stones that were quarried from France and other areas for grinding grains were often known as "Buhrs" or "Buhr stones". They were typically made of many small pie-wedge shaped pieces that were held together by a metal band. Not many people outside of the milling community use that term and just use the more general "millstone" to describe all grinding stones in general, whether they be assembled from pieces or made of one big giant rock.

Hope that's clear as mud!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jebaroni For This Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 10:48:38 AM
Registered

Jeb, thank you very much for that information. I will try to get in touch with Don.
Glenn
Old 06-06-2019, 01:21:08 PM
Subscriber

Glenn, you do indeed have one of the Waterloo built mills that I believe were made by Associated in Waterloo, Iowa. Before the Associated Mfg. Co. was formed, in 1909, they may have been made by one of the several companies that came together to form Associated, but there are few, if any, records left. This model was called the Iowa "Meal and Flour Grinder" and was sold by Montgomery Ward, through their catalogs "complete with Bolting Attachment" for $17.50 in 1919. It uses many of the same parts as the "Iowa No. 16 Grinder", which is shown in Chilton's Tractor book to have been made by Associated. Associated's "Repair List and Instructions for Iowa Engines, No. 124" contains a repair price list for the No. 16, Iowa Grinder with part numbers, descriptions and prices, but there is little other information, except from M-W catalogs that I have seen. I have posted photos of a Meal and Flour Grinder that I restored in the Gallery on this site so please take a look. I don't believe the pulley on yours was originally in that position. Under where your pully is, is where the shaker parts should be located. These are good little grinders as long as you keep the speed up, and work better with a throttle governed engine of 3 H.P. or more. I hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Tomlinson For This Post: