Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

The 1953 Massey 44 Special Diesel

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 437 times

Old 06-07-2019, 09:51:22 AM
Registered

Talking The 1953 Massey 44 Special Diesel

As I wrote before I was in need of a parts tractor to get my 44 gas ready for pulling.
When I went to pick up the puller I bought at a JD dealership they told me that had gotten in the 44 special diesel and it was in a shed out back forgotten.
they took me back to where it was and told me a price, said it was going to a machinery auction the next week.

I called my dad and talked to him about it and he said I shouldn't buy it from the dealer as it would probably sell cheaper at the auction since it's engine was seized.

That began a wild adventure in what not to do for a tractor. I went to the auction sale and bought the tractor paid when the dealer had wanted for it. Seems those bidding againest me thought the rear tires were worth the sale price alone.

My poor old pick up I didn't think up to going that far to fetch the tractor home. I borrowed my dads pick up and rather than drive home for my trailer borrowed my brother in laws trailer a mile from dads home.

Saturday came and I drove to the auction site no one else around to load the tractor. Half way up the ramps the come along broke with the rear tires of the 2 wheel drive pick up raised off the ground. I walk down th eroad to a home and knock and asked to use the phone to call wrecker. Fellow asked what the problem was and he said he thought he could pull the tractor up on the trailer for me.

Ya he was able to get the tractor up on the trailer for me refused any pay also. It is getting late in the day so I start heading home about 25 miles down the road I see I have a flat tire on the trailer and no spare for it. Ease it to a driveway into a field to get it off the road unhook from the trailer. Saw a leafe from the spring leaf had broke and came out the rub on the tire making it go flat. Is late Saturday evening so no tire stores are open in the nearest small town so decide to drive home and check some bigger stores and TSC on Sunday. No one where i checke dSunday morning had a tire that size. Remembered a friends son worked at a tire store who would check their stock for a tire.

The had one in stock and would meet me at the trailer and change it for me.
I had removed the bad tire so beat the leaf spring in place and used some u clamps to keep it in place while the young fellow removed the tire from the wheel mounted the new tire and aired it up. I put it back on the trailer and let the jack down to go on my way.

Dad said to keep the pick up till I got the new spring for the trailer and took it home. after buying a tire and a leaf spring set for the trailer I should have drove the 6 hours and got my own trailer. Maybe took a chance with my own truck and trailer and put the money in my stuff if it broke down.
I also never used ther parts off the tractor as dad said it was to nice to part out. I thought so also.

Al
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2019, 09:27:23 PM
One Millionth Post

Default Re: The 1953 Massey 44 Special Diesel

Never fails with borrowed equipment, especially trailers. You always end up rebuilding them for the owners that let them get that bad in the first place!
Old 06-08-2019, 05:12:19 AM
Registered

Yes your right brother in law got a new tire and a leaf spring stack. I still remember the price I paid for that stack too, $77.00.
I bought a new pick up in 91 and shortly later a tri axel trailer.

Al
Old 06-08-2019, 09:47:43 AM
One Millionth Post

As for your 44 D, I got one the same way, some time back. It also needed a motor overhaul. Got new pistons ,sleeves and bearings from the obsolete Continental parts place in Chicago. Had to replace the oil pump as it's poor out put is what caused the lower end failure to start with. Had the injection pump redone as well as they some times leak fuel into the oil pan when the seals get bad. Some of the internals are the same as the gas version.