Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

It is My Wife's Fault

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1221 times

Old 06-04-2019, 09:07:25 PM
Registered

Talking It is My Wife's Fault

All I wanted was a tractor to do antique tractor pulls. No not the ones where they make a 1934 case do 80MPH down a track dragging a weight transfer machine.

I wanted one to compete in a friendly area group who held a pull in small area towns thru out the summer.
A PTO on the tractor was required because you could only have a tractor that produced something like 19HP per 1000 pounds.

Having attended several pulls in farm stock on the same day/night as the antique pulls I got the idea I wanted a red with yellow wheeled tractor, or gold with red wheeled tractor.

I found a very sorry looking 1951 Massey Harris 44-4 that needed rescuing from a John Deere dealer, So I did rescue it.

When I said in sorry shape it didn't have a PTO shaft so I was in need of one of those. The hubs were a hodgepodge of homemade and a made to work from an Oliver.

So the search began, let my fingers do the walking thru a book I bought of tractor salvage yards looking for a PTO shaft and a pair of hubs. This was done during the week before I went off to my night shift job. I never did run across a salvage yard with the parts I required.

When I got a weekend off I would load the two kids and the wife in the SUV and go off searching fence rows looking for abandoned Masseys for the parts I needed. I could use the parts from the Massey model 30 up to and including the 444 so there was a wide range of models and years to choose from.

I was offered a 44 special diesel by the JD dealer when I went to pick up my prize. They wanted an indecent price for it, was a complete tractor but had a seized engine.

I saw it was going to be auctioned off in an upcoming auction. I made a point of attending and getting it for a fair price.
My dad took one look at it and said that is sure a nice tractor to be parting out so it was brought home for a later project tractor. The search continued during the weekends that I had off.

We ran across several nice complete tractors. My wife said why don't you just start collecting them

So now I own in the neighborhood of 22 Massey Harris tractors From a 1949 Pony to a 1957 555 diesel, a 1965 Ford 5000 gas, a 1961 Allis D 17 gas and a Farmall H year unknown.

Took me two years to finally run across a parts tractor and get my 1951 44-4 puller going.
My dad immediately took it over to pull in the 5000-pound class.
He took second place with it in the first outing.

I told the guys not to be skipping any meetings on a Saturday afternoon once a month. But they did until one Saturday the JD power block guys and the guys with Money had the majority and the 19HP per 1000 pounds went by the wayside. the antique tractor pulls fell apart. the sled was sold and there were no more at the local towns.

The finally have a big circuit of those power pulls in a couple of the towns. No local puller show up except the Power Block guys and those with lots of money.

Al
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Trail twister For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2019, 06:11:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,385 Times in 453 Posts
Default Re: It is My Wife's Fault

the old tractor pulls at our local county fairs were farm tractors pulling a long sheet of steel
and a person stepping on every 10 feet from each side.
max speed was the flag man walking backward, the stands were full and it was fun!
the next day, all of the tractors went back to work, some with bragging rights at the coffee shop
now major $$$, lots of black smoke and the stands 1/2 full.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:50:33 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,988 Times in 3,080 Posts

The insurance and liability issues have basically eliminated the old time spectator assisted pulls.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 05:46:12 AM
Registered

Talking Re: It is My Wife's Fault

Well there are those who like to spend money and out due every one else by a mile so they got what they wanted.

We also had a few around where the farm stock complete with cow manure pulled a sled with big concrete blocks one then back adding blocks at each direction till there was just one tractor left.

Most times at those pulls the tractors were weighed before hand and whom ever pulled the biggest precentage won not always the last tractor that could pull the weight.

The smnall antique pulling club had paid a fee for a dyno and portable scale and the weight machine.

Tractors were weighed so there was no guess it weighs 5000 ponds when it was really 6000 pound tractor.
when the class was pulled they kept the first 5 at the end of the class in a area and no one was allowed to mess with the tractor.
Those 5 were dynoed and if any went over 19 hp per 1000 poiunds they were
DQ and the next tractor of the five took its place. Mostly they got the top 3 each time as no one was wanting to cheat except the JD guys with the power blocks.

Seems tractor and truck pulling has become a big money event these days.

Al
The Following User Says Thank You to Trail twister For This Post:
Old 06-23-2019, 02:08:45 PM
Registered

as heard at the end of every tractor pull:

2nd place winner yells at the 1st place winner: Hey you no good cheatin dog!!! no wonder cause you cheat!!

1st place winner: what do you mean and who you calling a cheat!!

2nd place winner: well i was cheatin my AZZ off and you beat me!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to tlock0331 For This Post: