eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBayŠ Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBayŠ Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBayŠ Auction Discussion

Cancelled Auctions AFTER Won The Auction

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 910 times

Old 07-07-2019, 09:19:59 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,122 Times in 1,127 Posts
Default Cancelled Auctions AFTER Won The Auction

Hello all
I don't buy much off ebay but in the last few months I have had 2 auctions cancelled AFTER I won the item and paid for it. Both items did not have a reserve or buy it now price.
How is this possible? It's an auction.
When you register with ebay they continually tell you your entering a legal contract when you bid. Why bother bidding if it's not really an auction?

Cheers Scott
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2019, 10:01:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,867 Posts
Default Re: Cancelled Auctions AFTER Won The Auction

Yeah, evidently the "binding contract" thing is a joke. I won an auction (only bidder, no reserve) for a Kohler DC electric plant from a seller who is also a member here, as it turns out! It was going to be local pickup and pay at time of pickup, and he just refused to follow through as regards an address or meeting time etc. Ebay told me "they can't force a seller to sell". No kidding. They should revoke dead beat sellers' privileges, charge them a fee, I don't know. Something besides nothing.

I think many sellers are delusional about the value of everything they "attempt" to sell (as in move the decimal point over at least one place lol), but try (and succeed) to cheat the system by not paying for a reserve auction. Doesn't get the bidding they hoped for? Just refuse to follow through!

Keith
Old 07-07-2019, 10:42:58 PM
Registered-II

Ebay is a joke and has been since day 1. Back about 18 years ago I bought a few things through Ebay. First 3 things went good - then I bought something with shipping included. The guy found out shipping was more than I bought the item for and refused to ship. Even tried to extort more money from me to help cover shipping. I somewhat less than kindly told him what he could do with his extortion demands. He sent my check back - after he had opened it and had his fingerprints on it, by writing "return to sender" on the envelope, thereby screwing the postal service out of funds, but Ebay wouldn't stand behind me so I've never bought anything else and NEVER will. I wrote very strong negative feedback for the pheukwadd and he tried to get sue me for defamation. I told him I'd be glad to see him in court as my FIL was a police captian and we were going to get his prints from my check PLUS I had his extortion emails wanting more money, printed and ready for court and a copy of the sale contract with HIS TERMS clearly stated. He tried to get Ebay to remove my feedback. They refused so he quit using that identity and started over with a new identity. I never heard any more on his lawsuit.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kris Golden For This Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:18:28 AM
Registered

File a complaint with E-Bay (Go to customer service) I had the same thing happen and they kicked them off E-Bay. You can also leave a very scorching feedback.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:54:37 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,984 Times in 3,077 Posts

This is the reason that I don't like E Bay. I got ripped off to the tune of $800. on a E Bay auction scam. Got the bid on an Item that apparently never existed. Sent the money order and never heard from seller again. E Bay refused to do any thing about it. Happens often, not much even E Bay can do to police these scammers. There's always scammers out there looking for easy money.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:17:15 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,584 Times in 4,241 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Cancelled Auctions AFTER Won The Auction

EBay and Paypal ripped me off for $400. I bought a wooden model airplane and the seller didnt ship. Complainned to EBay and got nowheres, same with Paypal. They refused to return my money - said seller shipped, but would not produce proof. i wouldnt buy from EBay on a bet.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:42:00 PM
Registered-III

Andrew, you had to have talked to the wrong person at ebay, because ebay always sides with the buyer when an issue like this arises. Fwurth, why anyone would use a money order on ebay is beyond me. You were asking for problems. Paypal is your source of protection, without it ebay cannot verify any payments were made, since ebay and paypal were hand in hand. As of about ten months ago, a buyer can no longer leave negative feedback, which has let rogue ebayers run rampant. I have flagged many ebay listings which are bought, cancelled and re-sold by the seller. As per the original poster, I would contact ebay with the item number and a screenshot of your payment made. Ebay will step in and do something. A seller can only commit this sort of act if they all of a sudden list that the item was lost or stolen. They can only do this once per year, so if you struck out twice with the same seller this year, ebay would shut their account down. At least that is how ebay operates in the USA. It might be different in Oz. Did you at least get your money refunded after the item was cancelled? It should have been an automatic refund if the seller selected that the item was lost or stolen.

Chris
Old 07-08-2019, 05:10:39 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,122 Times in 1,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tron View Post
As per the original poster, I would contact ebay with the item number and a screenshot of your payment made. Ebay will step in and do something. A seller can only commit this sort of act if they all of a sudden list that the item was lost or stolen. They can only do this once per year, so if you struck out twice with the same seller this year, ebay would shut their account down. At least that is how ebay operates in the USA. It might be different in Oz. Did you at least get your money refunded after the item was cancelled? It should have been an automatic refund if the seller selected that the item was lost or stolen.
The reply from ebay
I know how stressful it is when a seller just cancel an order. Know that cancellation on the site should be an agreement between trading partners. That way, everything is clear.
I've looked into this and I see there was no communication from the seller at all as to why they would cancel the sale. This is definitely not right as this is a binding contract and we expect the seller to complete the sale.
Don't worry, I've noted this seller on my end and we'll look into their account and activities on the site and we'll take appropriate action as per our guidelines.
At this point, the transaction has been fully cancelled and money has been refunded, I'm afraid we consider the transaction as closed now. I understand you wanted the item, I can go out of my way to contact the seller and advise them to get back with at least an explanation as to why they cancelled the order and provide possible option. Yet, please understand that I can only do so much on my end.

In other words...tough noogies Batman.
I did ask them to go out of their way and find out why.......I mean, that's their job isn't it?
Ebay should start suing some of these clowns for breach of contract. Only then will things change. And yes, people don't put reserves on to save a few cents in ebay fees.

Cheers scott