Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Railroads and Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Railroads and Equipment Vintage Rail Engines, Vintage Railroads and Cars, Equipment and Lore

Railroads and Equipment

Union Pacific vs Nevada

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 404 times

Old 07-11-2019, 02:55:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,064 Posts
Default Union Pacific vs Nevada

Union Pacific seems to be having a hard time with their trains passing through Nevada. Not long ago it was a munitions train derailment up by Elko. This time a trainload of new cars derailed just Southwest of me by Caliente. Can't help but wonder if UP hasn't been a bit lax in their rail maintenance. Certainly a big dang mess....
Doc

https://fox13now.com/2019/07/10/doze...in-derailment/
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2019, 07:39:16 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,238 Times in 2,657 Posts
Default Re: Union Pacific vs Nevada

And the investigators arrived on scene.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	338885  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 01:02:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,105 Times in 457 Posts

Working for a class 1 railroad I can tell you this is going to be more and more common. All class 1’s except the BNSF have moved to a new operating system made popular by the late Hunter Harrison called “precision scheduled railroading”. In a nutshell this means fewer and longer trains (some up to 3 miles long) and a drastically smaller workforce While moving larger volumes of freight. All of this to line the pockets of the shareholders. I am quitting in 8 weeks and can not wait to be out of that S$&t show they call a railroad!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Turbo For This Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 07:39:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,789 Times in 780 Posts

Doc, That is one hell of a mess!

HH, There is special place in hell for Mr HH. I don't know too many who worked for CPR that have anything good to say about him. CPR is doing better without HH.

UPRR has spent a ton of money on infrastructure so they can play with their Big Boy.

Robert
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Railroads For This Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 08:40:51 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,354 Times in 7,411 Posts

Cowboy Hat ran CN for a while. I was never sure why we had to endure his presence up here to tell us that we could not run railways. We have only been doing it for close to 200 years.
During his CN reign, he single-tracked some of the mainline in Ontario that had been double tracked since the turn of the 20th century when Grand Trunk.
The CN main line runs through here. During Cowboy Hat's time, a high percentage of the ties were bad and not replaced - deferred maintenance looks good on the account books. There were long, heavy freights running at 50-60 mph and Via Rail passenger trains running at 80-90 mph. I never figured out how they kept them on the rails.
As soon as Cowboy Hat left CN, the next management had to spend big bux on rebuilding the track. Cowboy Hat left a hero and the new guys had to shoulder the costs.
It was a sad day when he came back north to run CP. It was a profitable railway, but the shareholders in New York wanted more out of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 09:56:20 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,984 Times in 3,077 Posts

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the share holders. The board of directors have all the power to hire the man they want to do their bidding. The board will absorb most corporate profits with those short term deals to turn a fast buck, share holders only get a marginal voice in it. Saw the same methods with other large corps. The guy that ran Home Depot for a while also took Chrysler down from a top position. Those guys are constantly moving from one position to another simply to grab all the cash they can! BTW, Home Depot paid the guy close to 160 million just to leave!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post: