Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Off Roading & Travel
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Off Roading & Travel Jeeps, back country 4X4, mountains, power plants, ghost towns and underground mining.

Off Roading & Travel

Donkey Engines

this thread has 34 replies and has been viewed 5233 times

Old 01-02-2003, 09:52:33 AM
David Greenwalt

Default Re: Donkey Engines

Lot of different opinions on this, it's one of those words that have been around so long they are used on a lot of things. According to a 1927 dictionary I inherited from my grandmother, the word originated in 1858 and referred to a small, subsidiary steam engine, used to assist another engine. It is also referred to a small locomotive used for switching engines in a yard. I like this old dictionary, it's about 10 inches thick, besides words has over 12,000 phrases, some 4000 color pictures, and you can find a lot of words and terms that are out of use today. Charts and formulas, etc.. It's like burr mills, I used to wonder why you guys called them burr mills when all my old books I read from that era refer to them as buhr mills. So I looked it up and it gives buhrstone, burstone, and burrstone as the same definition for a mineral used in making millstones. Doesn't matter, not trying to be a know-it-all, I was just curious. It's kinda of neat to have a book from the same era as most of these engines, so you know the terms were in common use at that time. Just having fun. David.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2003, 12:20:36 PM
Ralph Leonard

David, I find that info very interesting. That's what this site is all about.

One of my most treasured books is Gas, Gasoline and Oil Vapor Engines by Hiscox 1904. I could use your dictionary when I read it.

Thanks for sharing, and I have read your posts, its not likely you will be called a ---

Just pikin, Ralph in NC
Old 01-02-2003, 12:27:09 PM
Jim Tremble

I was just playing around with my search engine and found this site.

This an article of the recovery of an old Donkey from the mountians.

http://www.issaquahhistory.org/press/articles/donkey7-21-93.htm

Here is the home page for the site. Go to search on the left. Click and type in Donkey. There will be alot of choices to look at. Very interesting to those in the NW and maybe others.

http://www.issaquahhistory.org/default.htm

Copy and paste these to your browser.

Jim
Old 01-02-2003, 03:59:38 PM
Don C. Wiley

Ralph;

Years ago "they" did the same thing with the pocket pistol. After Darringer built the best pocket pistol made, they all became known as a "Darringer".

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Old 01-02-2003, 04:58:56 PM
David Greenwalt

Ralph, anytime you come across a word not in the modern dictionary, just give me a holler. Here's a link I keep in my favorites in case I get stuck on a word. (donkey engine is actually in there, I didn't think it would be in the modern dictionary) David.

http://webster.com/
Old 01-02-2003, 05:05:24 PM
Paul Gray

Default Re: More Donkey Engines

Check out the Robson minimg museum at http://www.dol.net/~pgray/QuartzRob/quartz.htm it is just outside of Wickenburg, AZ. You can do Quartzite show, Vulture mine in Wickenburg and Robson mining museum nearby in a weekend. Fer 'chrissakes if the Sierra Club wants that old iron off BLM land, at least let us engine hounds have a crack at removing it !!

Old 01-02-2003, 05:32:42 PM
Rob Charles

Default Interesting tug of war

Hi, It occured to me if you had an old engine with a tree growing up threw it the tree huggers would bust up the engine to save the tree and us collectors would cut down the tree to get the engine.Rob
Old 01-02-2003, 06:20:54 PM
Sierra Club

Default Re: More Donkey Engines

We will tell you what IS fun. We will tell you when to have fun. We will tell you where to have fun. We will tell you how to have fun. We are smarter than you. We are richer than you. We are superior to you. We have the power. We buy the politicians. Send us your money. The power to regulate is fun for us.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:16:02 PM
Simon Thomson, Scotland UK.

Default 1911 encyclopedia

Check out this link to a 1911 encyclopedia. To check out engines you need to look under gas engines, oil engines and steam engines etc. Diesel isn't in it refer to oil engines. Just thought I'd post it in response to Davids old dictionary. Simon

1911 encyclopedia.
Old 01-02-2003, 08:57:05 PM
Ed Deis

Another use for the steam donkey engines was for the coffer dams on the Ohio River. I purchased 3 of these at a site across from E. Liverpool, OH several years ago. They were in storage and in good condition and there were several more I could have purchased at the time, along with many NOS steam engine castings. Believe these were used also on the steam boats (work boats-tugs-pull-??) It was a real interesting place with at least one working boat (don't believe steam or at least converted). I also remember the steam driven vertical air compressor on the boat along with a couple in storage. Need to visit again sometime if I can locate the owner again. Believe there is still at least one coffer dam in operation on the Ohio and maybe some donkey engines? Someone will probably know of this and if I'm correct it's on the Indiana section. I also have seen different engines referred to as donkey engines, but mostly on a winch or for use in RR yards. Lots of history here. Ed
Old 01-02-2003, 09:35:51 PM
Bill Sherlock

My Webster's New World Dictionary, Modern Desk Edition, circa 1964, under donkey refers also to a small portable steam engine: in full, donkey engine.

Bill
Old 01-03-2003, 12:31:38 AM
David Greenwalt

Default Re: 1911 encyclopedia

Thanks Simon, another addition to my favorites list. David.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:38:54 AM
David Greenwalt

That's interesting Ed, there is a dam about 30 miles from here on one of our small rivers I used to fish for walleye about ten years ago. I remember there was a shed on top of the lock that said boiler room on it. Wasn't collecting old iron then, so didn't mean anything to me. I'm gonna have to go check that out. David.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:42:40 AM
Russ Hughes

I can't think of a worse place to have one of them things discharge, can you?
Old 01-03-2003, 05:09:26 AM
Russ Hughes

A 1937 Websters Dictionary I recently got from my mother said among other things concerning the word, or term "donkey"; "dusky, and dim, an ass, a stubborn, stupid, or obstinate person", but more to the point it also said "donkey engine, a small pumping or hoisting engine" and it also said "donkey pump, an independent, or auxilliary steam pump used to wash decks, feed boilers, etc."

Now I would like to know what the "etc." was all about.

In any case the word "small" keeps creeping into the discussion about donkey whatevers. Therefore; a donkey engine, a small engine, as compared to a big engine, and used mainly for miscelaneous purposes.

A donkey engine in railroad parlance, meaning a small railroad engine, a locomotive usually used in switch yards and industrial locations. Again the word small comes into view regarding donkey engines.

Now we can discuss just what the word "small" connotates in this context, in which "connotates" came in the dictionary between the words connoisseur and connubial, both of which are related to possible states of bliss depending on ones pursuasions.

Its getting late and I really ought to turn this thing off and turn in for the night. Woe is winter!