Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Fuels and Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Fuels and Alternative Fuels Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Fuels and Alternative Fuels

Who here has a pellet stove?

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 10531 times

Old 02-25-2011, 11:04:39 AM
Registered-II

Default Who here has a pellet stove?

Here is my stove in action, burning about a 90/10 mix of corn and wood pellets. I also have a high efficiency wood burning fireplace insert. My gas/forced air furnace is my secondary heat source for my house. Lets hear about your alternative sources of heat for you home or shop.

Also here is a video of where my corn comes from, more or less an unlimited supply(our farm)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2011, 09:34:04 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Who here has a pellet stove?

do you make your own pellets?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:01:58 PM
Registered-III

i have 2 corn stoves one in shop and one in the basement of the house in the rec room... when they work they work good...but sure are hard on auger and stirrer motors...+ corn at almost 7 bucks a bushel hurts dumping it in a stove......john
Old 02-26-2011, 11:44:01 AM
Registered-II

I have had mine for over 4 years now, had no problems with it at all. Basic cleaning and maintence in the off season. I have done a few mods but basically stock. And yes Corn is high right now, but for me its "nearly" free as in I put up a few hundred bushel off the back of truck in a separate storage trailer (gravity wagon) after harvest.

I would like to try making my own pellets but new pellet mills are expensive and I have not found a used one worth the money, plus for a novice like me figureing out the best consistancy with binders ect... seems like a lot of work considering they might not burn very well.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:19:41 PM
Registered-III

my stove's are englander's i have lots of problems with then and always when it really gets cold ... we have a few thousand bu in grain bins at almost all times here..if i were to do it again i'd go back to heating my shop with wood.we have a box in basement that we fill from outside the house it holds about 40 bu gravity fed to a door just like a gravity wagon works really well ..we bucket it up once a month and fill it....john
Old 02-26-2011, 06:57:18 PM
Registered-III

John.......where I live in Albany ,West Australia on the south coast wood chips are exported mainly to Japan for paper production. The timber is a variety of Eucolyptus [ Blue Gum] grown in plantations . The residue from the harvesting ,ie leaves ,twigs ,all the rubbish are now being transformed to pellets . These are being exported to Europe as a alternative fuel for power generation .
Old 02-26-2011, 08:38:43 PM
Registered-I

hey john what breaks on them? i have a harman so far it works great. it has the two burn pots one for corn and one for pellets. rich
Old 02-26-2011, 09:11:48 PM
Registered-III

Rich, on mine the stirrer motors and auger motors and the fiber boards burn out every season ... i have replaced 1 circut board over $ 200. fiber boards are $ 60 . motors are 150 each ..this year i have replaced 1 fiber board 1 auger motor and 2 stirrer motors between 2 stoves... 1 stirrer motor was under warranty so it was replaced at no charge..the last time i called for parts the woman was snotty and rude to me...and i had to wait 45 min on phone before i could talk to anyone . i spend 3-400 a year keeping them going plus the corn....every time we get a real cold spell coming one of them quit working, usually on friday eve and i cant order parts till monday.. and i have to wait a week to get it going again, and by that time it warms back up ....do not buy a englander ....i'm not happy with mine...maybe other brands are good but mine are junk..............john
Old 02-26-2011, 09:13:33 PM
Subscriber

I've had a few pellet stoves. I have a USSC King Ashley in the living room. Runs 100% wood pellets. Had a large Traeger forced air pellet furnace and you couldn't feed it enough pellets. I also have a Dove pellet stove that will burn corn or wood pellets. Overall the pellets are OK but given my druthers I'll take a rice coal stove anyday. Burns much hotter than wood and comparing heat produced per pound of fuel, it's a far better deal than wood pellets even though the coal costs more per ton. The irony of it all is we here in the People's Republic of New York are sitting on a huge reserve of natural gas locked up in the Marcellus shale formation. NYS has banned all drilling for this. Go online for the 411 on this. Back to Pellets. The best luck I've had with any one brand comes out of a Kentucky based operation that makes oak hardwood flooring. There is nothing else but oak in them. No bark, no junk wood, no garbage. Low ash and high heat is what you get. I have burned corn and must say that it does seem to burn hotter than average run wood pellets. The big problem with corn in my area has been supply. Most of our local farms produce corn for thier livestock's consumption. The whole plant is harvested. Corn ears are pulled separate and then the plant is cut and ground up in one operation. The corn gets ground for cattle and horse feed. The plant is turned into silage. Most of our locals wont sell the corn as they plant enough to get them through the winter and early spring. After that the livestock gets turned out to pasture. Farm stores like TSC sell bagged corn but it is more expensive than wood pellets.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:35:34 AM
Registered-II

Wow John you have had troubles. I have never had any problems with my stove after 4 years of heavy operation. I do routine maintence after each season (throurough cleaning, grease zerks on the gearboxes, ect...)

I bought spare motors and gearbox assemblys to have on hand (have not needed them yet) for the auger and agitator (stirrer) and I paid $15 for each from the surplus center. Now the circuit board issue sounds like a defect or your not using a good enough surge protector to keep clean power to the stove. USSC sent me a brand new updated version of their board for free when they changed some of the presets for auto-mode, however I rarely run in auto-mode I fine tune the feed rate, agitator speed/frequency and draft fan speed independent of the factory presets.

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 AM ----------

Edit: Here is the online catalog that has replacement motors. They are available for purchase online too.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/pages/Catalog284-140.pdf
Old 02-28-2011, 11:54:16 AM
Registered-III

i have a very good surge protector..there are no zerks to grease or gear boxes in it. the motors direct drive everything..some of the motors in the link you posted look the same i'll have to check out the spec's on mine and compare.. 8.99 vs 150 big difference. i'm sure they are putting the screws to people..their parts dept. takes forever to get anyone because they have too many break downs. i clean them every 3 days and really go through them 1 or twice a year.. mine burns corn or pellets and i burn all corn......john
Old 02-28-2011, 02:02:01 PM
Registered-II

Well I added the grease zerks, they don't come installed. Pretty easy to do just dismantle, drill and tap on the side of the case. I also added more insulation for the agitator motor just as insurance because it is so close to the side of the firebox. I also read about a replacement for the insulation board/brick in the fire box and there is a really cheap replacement product for it, but cannot remember where I saw that. Mine is in good shape still. I burn straight corn, and corn/pellet mixes. I guess I have been really happy with my USSC model 6039.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:18:21 AM
Registered-I

hi john look at the Harman pc-45 it has a auto igniter witch is nice for when it warms up the stove shuts off. saves on pellets. it can burn oats too. here is a web site to check on http://pelheat.com/ rich
Old 03-01-2011, 12:06:23 PM
Sponsor

justme,

I will second the Harman. Going on 5 years with not troubles at all. Is all we heat with. Just yearly maint...
Old 03-23-2012, 12:39:18 PM
busman7

Used to sell both Dove & Harmon stoves, the Dove corn stove needed more development to work properly & Harmon while they make an excellent stove the company was a greedy PIA to deal with so quit them.

All in all I heated my house, alternative energy store & bus shop for over 10 yrs with pellets/corn.

Experimented with the idea of pelleting corn (to breakup the outer husk that causes the clinker) & adding some coal to the mix to increase BTU's but never found the correct size dye for the pellet mill I found at an auction cheap.

Lease on my store/shop got terminated by a sleazy real-estate agent so got out of the alternative energy business, this was back in the late 90's before it became profitable.

Now living in El Salvador where I don't need heat.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:01:27 PM
Subscriber

Any speculation on how the drought situation and corn production this year will effect the cost/efficiency of running the corn stoves this year ?
Old 09-06-2012, 12:40:44 PM
Subscriber

I bought my corn stove in 2000 to supplement my heat and reduce my fuel expenses. Corn was about $1.80 a bushel at that time. Since then, even though propane and fuel oil have increased substantially in price, corn has gone through the roof, thanks to the ethanol mandate. Currently, corn is near $8.00 a bushel. I think one could burn GASOLINE and come out cheaper. Corn burning made sense for me up to about $4.00 a bushel. The last time I saw that price was about 3 or 4 years ago, I think. I have since modified my stove to burn pellets and they are cheaper that oil or propane, so I now burn pellets and have given up on corn.

Bob
Old 03-21-2013, 12:44:48 PM
Subscriber

I barter for corn.Corn stove is better than wood stove and less work. It's a lot cleaner to.