Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers and pumps.

Farm Antiques and Collectibles

Deming 1890 Water Pump

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 7775 times

Old 03-05-2012, 09:34:19 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Deming 1890 Water Pump

New to SmokStak. Was wondering if someone could give me idea of an 1890 Deming water pump. Works and is in good shape. I'm going to try and put up a picture.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2012, 11:11:54 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,584 Times in 4,241 Posts
Default Re: Deming 1890 water pump

What do you want to know about it? They make nice display pumps. Most parts for 'em are still available at a good well supply. Capable of around 75 PSI output, most set for around 40 PSI. Mine is chery red, with raised lettering in gold. Had 1/3 HP electric motor on it, I put a 32 Volt Delco 1/4 HP, DC motor on it, and ran it with my F/M light plant. I bought a rebuild kit from Demming Pump, in Freehold, NJ a number of years ago, and it cost me $95, for the set. Included new sleeve for the cylinder (brass), new leather cups for the piston (2), new brass seats and hard rubber poppett valves for the inlet and outlet check valves (2 each), new seal for the piston shaft, and 4 gaskets. I asked the counter guy how much the pump was worth - he told me they were out of production, but if I wanted to trade it in, after the rebuild, they would give me $550, for the pump! In our business (old engines), $25 to 75, depending on condition. I picked up several at a local junkyard, for $10.00, before they changed thier policy, and won't sell anything once it hits the yard (BUMS). Evil bay is another can of worms!
Andrew
Old 03-06-2012, 08:06:06 AM
Registered

Andrew, I appreciate your response. I should have proof read my very first post, but you did answer my question which was what is the value of these pumps. I am very intrigued with Smokestack and collectors of motors, it is very cool stuff, but I am trying to get a handle on the value of this pump so that I could potentially sell. the problem with this whole thing about finding the pump is that after being on smokestack, Im not sure I want to sell the pump anymore, instead I may want to restore it and be part of the smokestack motor head crowd. Two more question for you Andrew. First, I did ck the smokestack calendar through July, was wondering, do antique motor collectors get together in NJ at all or do I have to travel to PA and upstate NY for the closest antique motor meetups. My second question is in reference to your statement on the junk yards and their policy on selling. Are you talking about one junk yard and what yard might that be. I am located in Jefferson, NJ
Old 03-06-2012, 11:04:44 AM
Sponsor

Exclamation Re: Deming 1890 Water Pump

gdaly136, welcome to the Stak!. You are in my back yard! I am in Rockaway! As for the junk yard, it was Conca's in Dover. They no longer sell to the public, which is a shame. I have seen quite a few nice things go to the shredder since they changed hands. The closest yard to you would be Raimios, in Byram Twp., but I do not know if they allow people in the yard anymore either. i used to deal with 2 other yards, both in Morristown, but they now are closed. Rockaway recycling here in Rockaway, does not sell to the public either (BOO HISS) There is an auto yard, up your way, Roxbury Auto Wreckers, that gets neat stuff in now and then, you might check them out.

As for shows, there are several in South Jersey, One I know is near Allaire State Park, another in Cape May. 100+ miles away from us. I do not know their names, if someone knows them, please feel free to let us know their names. The Delaware Valley show (Delaware Valley Old Time Power Association), At Washington's Crossing State Park, is a good one, but again is a ways from us, about an hour and 15 minutes for me. The closest show is the Jacktown show (Blue Mountain Antique Steam and Gas Engine Association), in Bangor, PA. It is only 45 minutes from my home, and you are even closer than I to that. It is only about 10 minutes from the Delaware Water Gap. The North Jersey Antique Engine and Machine Club displays our equipment at the Sussex County Farm and Horse Show Grounds, in Augusta, NJ. It is off State Rt 206. Just follow State Rt 15 north, you can't miss it! If you are looking to buy an engine, or otherthings, Look to the Flea market at Jacktown (coming up in May), Or try the 2 shows there, one in July and the other in October. You missed the Snow Show there in Janurary. best bet for finding good stuff is to go to the Hudson Valley Auction, in Hudson, NY. A 2 hour ride for me, but well worth the trip! I have bought and sold many engines there, as well as equipment to run with them! Rhere you will find all kinds of pumps, Steam engines, and anything from B&S 5-S engines to 15 HP monster hit & Miss Engines! I have helped run the auction for over34 years, and I see new stuff there every year! Simple for us to get to too - I-80 East to I-287 North, Then the NY Thruway North to exit 23, the Rip vanWinkle bridge exit. Another 15 miles on Srare Hiway 23, and you are there!. Another great show is the big one at Kinzers, PA (Rough and Tumble Threshermans Reunion). That one is also easy to get to, takes about 3 hours for me, towing a trailer. I will give you a PM, and we can talk.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 06-05-2016, 10:58:05 AM
Registered

Default Re: Deming 1890 Water Pump

i'm looking for manual on deming hand water pump Model AA 4473.
I have it all apart and need a source for some part to make it work
again....any help is welcomed. thanks Ron
Old 07-11-2019, 05:26:06 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mackey View Post
What do you want to know about it? They make nice display pumps. Most parts for 'em are still available at a good well supply. Capable of around 75 PSI output, most set for around 40 PSI. Mine is chery red, with raised lettering in gold. Had 1/3 HP electric motor on it, I put a 32 Volt Delco 1/4 HP, DC motor on it, and ran it with my F/M light plant. I bought a rebuild kit from Demming Pump, in Freehold, NJ a number of years ago, and it cost me $95, for the set. Included new sleeve for the cylinder (brass), new leather cups for the piston (2), new brass seats and hard rubber poppett valves for the inlet and outlet check valves (2 each), new seal for the piston shaft, and 4 gaskets. I asked the counter guy how much the pump was worth - he told me they were out of production, but if I wanted to trade it in, after the rebuild, they would give me $550, for the pump! In our business (old engines), $25 to 75, depending on condition. I picked up several at a local junkyard, for $10.00, before they changed thier policy, and won't sell anything once it hits the yard (BUMS). Evil bay is another can of worms!
Andrew
Great info on Deming Pumps! Also, how can I get a manual / diagram or maybe Kindle equivalent?
hucksrl
Old 07-27-2019, 03:14:30 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: Deming 1890 Water Pump

Sorry, I have not been back to this post in a while. there was a demming dealer in Flemington NJ, not sure they are there any more. i do not have any manuals myself.