Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Fuels and Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Fuels and Alternative Fuels Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Fuels and Alternative Fuels

Chevy Cruze diesel

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 3610 times

Old 09-05-2013, 02:54:52 PM
Registered-II

Default Chevy Cruze diesel

I saw that Chevy will be making a diesel version of their Cruze. Does a diesel use less fuel at idle in traffic than a gasoline engine? I was wondering if a diesel car is a good idea and made financial sense. You do not need to worry anymore about ethanol!

dwight
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 03:51:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,037 Times in 3,804 Posts
Default Re: Chevy Cruze diesel

I don't worry about ethanol now ...... but yes a diesel will (or should) use less fuel.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:33:48 PM
Registered-II

Hi Dwight,
I work at a Chevy dealership. The diesel Cruzes have been out for several months. They seem to run nice (they all do when they're new) but the fuel mileage is not that much better than gas, the cost is considerably higher and diesel fuel is higher than gas and not everyone carries diesel fuel. When the diesel breaks down it will cost considerably more to fix. I'd buy a bicycle before a diesel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coolhand Luke For This Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 04:35:01 PM
Subscriber

GM is advertising the Cruze getting 46MPG. Diesel is 35-40 cents more than gas and you have to use the new DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid). So where is the economy factor?, when you can get 38MPG with a Toyota Corolla?
Joe
Old 09-05-2013, 05:40:22 PM
Registered-III

Diesel cars typically exceed their EPA ratings. I would expect the Cruze to deliver 50 MPG highway in real-world driving. The cost of DEF is incidental- a little more than windshield washer fluid. Regarding the additional cost of diesel over RUG, keep in mind that diesel fuel contains about 10% more energy per gallon, so it the price variance is within that difference, the real cost is the same. It's the BTU's that move the car, not the gallons. Availability of diesel fuel is a non-issue today, especially considering their extended cruising range. Another factor not often mentioned in the payback calculations is resale value. A good platform will return most (or more) of its original option cost at resale. For example, the cost of the diesel option of my 2003 Dodge was originally about $5900, but according to KBB, it returns $6200 on resale. Let's see a hemi-powered Ram 2500 do this- and that trip included over 100 miles of brutal Long Island traffic. That trip penciled out to 22.8 MPG- and the DTE was still 180 more miles- not too bad for a 7300# 4X4 pickup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0247.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	174058   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0248.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	174059   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0249.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	174060  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RSCurtis For This Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 07:49:58 AM
Banned

Does it come with an "off" position on the key switch?? My biggest complaint with diesels involves their owners not shutting them off. They pull up outside my shop door, and come inside to conduct business while leaving the thing running. I'm on the phone trying to talk to a customer, and this abomination sits right outside the door and hammers, beats, rattles, and clatters..... Sure, I could put up a sign that says "No Idling", but why on earth should I have too?

I mean will they not restart?? Has diesel technology not improved over the last 50 years or so? Are we still in the era of leaving it run all night?

In an effort to maintain control of my blood pressure, I will abstain from commenting on those aftermarket exhaust systems, apparently designed to "enhance" the diesel experience......

Rant over. I'll stick with gas.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:43:49 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,781 Times in 3,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprkplug View Post
Does it come with an "off" position on the key switch??...
That is a left over from the days when diesel pickups were new, stylish and the latest greatest thing. You left it idling so everyone would know you had a diesel. My eventual response these days is to walk up and say"...are you afraid it won't start back up? Shut that noisy thing off...". Beats me how Kenworth can make a 600hp truck that is quieter than my mom's Buick, but a diesel pickup has to make a racket like a 1950's Caterpillar bulldozer.

One drive thru restaurant I know has a fix for diesel owners who won't shut the #$%^ thing off while ordering. They keep a coffee can full of gravel handy and shake it near the headset microphone when replying.

(Full disclosure- I own many diesels and they sometimes idle, but I am considerate of others when practical)

To the OP, diesel vehicles were great when the engines were mechanically injected and we could get diesel fuel with a reasonable sulfur content. I would not buy a new one these days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 09-06-2013, 03:57:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post

(Full disclosure- I own many diesels and they sometimes idle, but I am considerate of others when practical)

There you go....that's all I'm asking. Thanks, Wayne 440.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:05:23 PM
ron17571

The noisy engines in dodge trucks is from the thin block to keep the weight down. Ive been told of dodge trucks getting around 25 MPG.
I think the time has come for diesels to be in more vehicles.
One thing I keep seeing is people modifying diesel pickups and then laying a big black cloud over cars and people walking on the side walk(I saw this for myself)