Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Fuels and Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Fuels and Alternative Fuels Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Fuels and Alternative Fuels

Stokol Hydraulic Drive Coal Stoker - Anyone Have a Manual/Parts Breakdown

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 5754 times

Old 10-20-2013, 11:35:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,176 Times in 2,057 Posts
Default Stokol Hydraulic Drive Coal Stoker - Anyone Have a Manual/Parts Breakdown

I'm getting ready to open up the gear box on a Stokol Hydraulic Drive coal stoker used for a furnace or a boiler, every shaft seal is oozing oil, and internet searches are not turning up anything on this except old newspaper ads. I suspect its just some type of vari-drive, but I just don't know and I hate going into stuff blind. The In/Out lever engages/disengages the auger, and the lever marked 1-5 controls the speed of the auger. So anyone here know anything about these? A manual with a parts breakdown would be nice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stokol 1.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	177572   Click image for larger version

Name:	stokol 2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	177573   Click image for larger version

Name:	stokol 3.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	177574   Click image for larger version

Name:	stokol 4.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	177575  
The Following User Says Thank You to dalmatiangirl61 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2013, 11:36:16 AM
Registered

Default Re: Stokol Hydraulic Drive Coal Stoker - Anyone Have a Manual/Parts Breakdown

I have no manuals but we had one when I was a kid. The in/out clutch is used to let you manunaly rock the auger to break up clinkers or big lumps that might jam the auger. Inside there is a wierd timer that runs the stoker intermittantly to keep the fire from going out. There is a square bucket on a rocker arm. It is filled with hydraulic fluid via a choice of several orfiaces when the unit is running and drains out thru an adjustable needle valve in the bottom of the bucket. As the bucket tips back and forth slowly it triggers a mercury switch to cycle the thing on and off. The adjustments let you adjust off and on run times to suit the type of coal used and natural draft of the furnace. If the thermostat calls for heat then it runs constantly until the house warms up. You will see all the controls when you open the end if the unit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Post:
Old 11-05-2013, 07:03:26 AM
Registered

Default Re: Stokol Hydraulic Drive Coal Stoker - Anyone Have a Manual/Parts Breakdown

You might try this forum group as the have a separate heading for stokers. http://nepacrossroads.com/
Anthracite Coal & Bituminous Coal Heating forums, along with some state based forums.
The Following User Says Thank You to PTSideshow For This Post:
Old 11-06-2013, 04:21:14 PM
Subscriber

Hi PT
I started a thread on the NEPA site first, I'm working on setting up a coal fired boiler to heat my Nevada home, and although there is a lot of info on this site about coal and boilers its not heat related. No one on the Nepa site had any info on the Stokol stoker, so knowing the vast array of experience on this site, I was hoping someone here knew a bit more. The Stokol unit has been put on hold until I get more info.

I did drag home a Muncie Gear Works stoker yesterday, yep the same Muncie that made the transmissions and the Neptune/Mighty Mite boat motors. So far no info has been found on the Muncie stoker either, but its just a straight gearbox that needs some seals so that is what I'm working on today
Old 11-06-2013, 04:25:47 PM
Subscriber

The Muncie stoker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muncie 3.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	178930   Click image for larger version

Name:	muncie 1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	178931   Click image for larger version

Name:	muncie 4.jpg