Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

Long Model A

this thread has 92 replies and has been viewed 17670 times

Old 04-23-2014, 08:15:25 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,256 Times in 522 Posts
Default Long Model A

Located a Long model A tractor recently. Basically looks like a Cockshutt 30 with a Continental motor. I know these were a post war tractor slapped together to fufill shortage. How many were produced? Anybody collect these?
The Following User Says Thank You to Molinegb For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2014, 07:18:37 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,354 Times in 7,411 Posts
Default Re: Long Model A

Somewhere around here I have a bit of info on the Long, Model A - I'll see if I can find it another day.
They were sold, in Ontario at least, by OTACO out of Orillia. That was formerly Tudhope-Anderson Co. and they used to have branch offices in Western Canada and sold the Emerson-Brantingham line. They also made automobiles in Orillia and assorted farm equipment.
OTACO was better known for the TACO kits to convert your old car, Model A Ford or whatever, to a tractor. They sold thousands of those kits.
They picked up the Long as a "real" tractor in the early 50's and I have seen it painted up as an OTACO tractor. I seem to remember it was a 30 hp tractor with Continental 162 ci motor?
RM.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 04-24-2014, 05:14:15 PM
Registered-III

I worked for Long Agribusiness in Tarboro, NC before they went belly up. I had a chance to do cosmetic restorations on Serial numbers 4 and 20. Number 4 is owned by the Long family and #20 was sold at auction when the company folded. They were available in single-wheel narrow, dual front narrow, and wide front configurations. You are correct that the engine, transmission, wheels, seat, and fuel tank were all sourced components. Not much else to fabricate other than the front end and controls. As best as I could tell, only about 500 tractors were ever built and sold. There are 2 different versions of frame rails (6-bolt early and 4-bolt later on). I have heard that the front cultivator for a John Deere would fit these. The very first tractors were built around November 1948 and the later ones sometime in 1949 and that was the end of it.

G Willikers, I'd love to know of any additional information that you have. I do have a reproduction of the original owner's manual and an advertisement brochure/poster. Here is a picture of me driving serial number 20 at the Sunbelt Expo in Moultrie, GA shortly after I got done with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	long a.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	193849  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jebaroni For This Post:
Old 04-25-2014, 12:57:50 PM
Sponsor

Ok guys, I found a bit from a 1950 OTACO salesman's binder.
The A - row crop was priced @$2,085.00 and the AW standard tread was $2,200.00.
OTACO stood for Ontario-Tudhope-Anderson-Co.. They also made a good line of plows, tillage equipment, shit spreaders (yes, that's what we call them here!) and other stuff to go with the tractors.
RM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	otaco1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	193918   Click image for larger version

Name:	otaco2.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	193919   Click image for larger version

Name:	otaco3.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	193920   Click image for larger version

Name:	otaco4.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	193921  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 04-25-2014, 12:59:52 PM
Sponsor

And the rest of the OTACO-Long brochure.
Good looking tractors really! I hope this is of some help?
RM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	otaco5.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	193922   Click image for larger version

Name:	otaco6.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	193923   Click image for larger version

Name:	otaco7.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	193924  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 04-25-2014, 03:42:24 PM
Registered-III

Hey Rick,in Sask. we try to be a little more politically correct and we call them "mechanical politicians" pun intended.
Back to the thread, at one time I was in love with a long,but never did buy it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Gordon For This Post:
Old 04-25-2014, 08:54:52 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,985 Times in 3,078 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gordon View Post
Hey Rick,in Sask. we try to be a little more politically correct and we call them "mechanical politicians" pun intended.
Back to the thread, at one time I was in love with a long,but never did buy it.
Around here we simply called them politicians. While some Long machinery was sold here very little is left, mostly newer things. I have a small tractor mounted back hoe that is mostly useless, there were a few late model tractors but they weren't too good. Lots of motor problems. I have seen a few combines but never knew much about them, not sure if they were sold under different names or who actually built them. They probably would have fared better if there had been a good dealer support behind them, the small problems become much bigger when you cannot get any parts or service to help. F.J.W.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 04-26-2014, 06:32:15 AM
Registered-III

The Model A was the only tractor that Long designed and built themselves. All of the later tractors were imported. While I was there from 2003-2005, they were importing from India (FarmTrac), Korea (LandTrac), and Romania (LongTrac). They had in the past built some peanut combines and I believe a rotary cutter and switch plow, but everything else was purchased, repainted, and sold. Loaders and Backhoes were always designed and built in-house to fit the tractors that we were importing at the time. You are correct that lots of the units had engine issues and it's hard to get a good dealer network when the factory doesn't put out good product, or won't support the dealers. I heard at one time that the engine problems were so prevalent, tractors were being sent to dealers that would not crank. They had to push the tractors off the trailer and do engine rebuilds at the dealer. The quarterly dealer newsletter headline read something to the effect of "We're rolling out tractors!..." The old ford tractor that was discontinued when Ford was purchased by New Holland became the Farmtrac after the Indians purchased the rights to continue building the tractor. Seems to me they took a good design and made it worse.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jebaroni For This Post:
Old 04-26-2014, 10:08:33 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,045 Times in 1,626 Posts

I remember seeing one of those Romanian Longs, I think one of the salesmen at the JD store traded for it...wasn't real impressed...
I have no idea how it found its way to Western Colorado, there was no dealer anywhere close that I knew of.
The Following User Says Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 04-26-2014, 06:15:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,628 Times in 2,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
Ok guys, I found a bit from a 1950 OTACO salesman's binder.
The A - row crop was priced @$2,085.00 and the AW standard tread was $2,200.00.
OTACO stood for Ontario-Tudhope-Anderson-Co.. They also made a good line of plows, tillage equipment, shit spreaders (yes, that's what we call them here!) and other stuff to go with the tractors.
RM
these tractors have a Cockshutt and Massey Harris Look to them especially the MH 30/33 and Cockshutt 30.Must have used parts from both tractors.John
Old 04-26-2014, 08:32:35 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,100 Times in 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebaroni View Post
I worked for Long Agribusiness in Tarboro, NC before they went belly up. I had a chance to do cosmetic restorations on Serial numbers 4 and 20. Number 4 is owned by the Long family and #20 was sold at auction when the company folded. They were available in single-wheel narrow, dual front narrow, and wide front configurations. You are correct that the engine, transmission, wheels, seat, and fuel tank were all sourced components. Not much else to fabricate other than the front end and controls. As best as I could tell, only about 500 tractors were ever built and sold. There are 2 different versions of frame rails (6-bolt early and 4-bolt later on). I have heard that the front cultivator for a John Deere would fit these. The very first tractors were built around November 1948 and the later ones sometime in 1949 and that was the end of it.

G Willikers, I'd love to know of any additional information that you have. I do have a reproduction of the original owner's manual and an advertisement brochure/poster. Here is a picture of me driving serial number 20 at the Sunbelt Expo in Moultrie, GA shortly after I got done with it.
Jebaroni- Thanks for the great info! I really like these tractors and hope to get my hands on one someday. Do you have any thoughts on the story behind the connection with the literature G Willikers posted???
The Following User Says Thank You to JFred For This Post:
Old 04-26-2014, 10:36:12 PM
Sponsor

In the above posts, when I said "they" made a line of plows, tillage equipment, animal-intestinal-expulsion-distributers, etc., I meant OTACO made them. Tudhope went way back and made a lot of machinery. They made a very nice automobile in the 19-teens. I expect they simply picked up the Long tractor to have a full sized tractor in their catalogue as they were still making car-tractor conversion kits into the 50s. The company was still around into modern times making auto parts (seats maybe?) for the bigger companies.
As for Long stuff, I recall seeing one or two Long tractors here at shows but have not seen one lately. It couldn't have been a big seller for OTACO judging by the scarcity around here? I don't recall seeing any other Long equipment.
RM
Old 04-26-2014, 11:03:32 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
In the above posts, when I said "they" made a line of plows, tillage equipment, animal-intestinal-expulsion-distributers, etc., I meant OTACO made them. Tudhope went way back and made a lot of machinery. They made a very nice automobile in the 19-teens. I expect they simply picked up the Long tractor to have a full sized tractor in their catalogue as they were still making car-tractor conversion kits into the 50s. The company was still around into modern times making auto parts (seats maybe?) for the bigger companies.
As for Long stuff, I recall seeing one or two Long tractors here at shows but have not seen one lately. It couldn't have been a big seller for OTACO judging by the scarcity around here? I don't recall seeing any other Long equipment.
RM

Did Tudhope not go into the Trucking/Haulage buss in later years?.or is this a differnt company?.John
Old 04-27-2014, 12:05:29 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,985 Times in 3,078 Posts

The later Long tractors that were in this area were the Romanian ones. They seemed to have a good lay out as to general purpose work. Once the engines were put right they did alright and easy on fuel.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 04-27-2014, 06:37:48 AM
Sponsor

Not sure about Tudhope haulage and have wondered the same thing? It is not that common a name so perhaps a family connection.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:46:25 AM
Registered-III

Tractor is for sale. How would you put a value on it? It falls int a rare category but there aren't many Long collectors out there.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:20:41 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,654 Times in 1,146 Posts

Gary, I have a listing in a value guide by Dean & Swenson that's a few years old. The price ranges from $1800 for one that is not much more than a parts tractor to $9000 for a top quality restoration. I don't know how accurate this info is today.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:49:22 PM
Registered-III

Thanks for rough idea on value, Phil. The Long really falls into category of oddball or orphan. One would wonder what percentage ended up in Canada. This Long is like most here it is a wide front.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:14:40 PM
Sponsor

Just looked it up and the Long model A was tested at Nebraska - test # 410, May, 1949. The data will be in some of Mr. Wendel's books.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:02:39 PM
Subscriber

Ford model A with OTACO Tractor conversion(Autotrac).John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	johndeereadays110.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	194185