Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Trailer Tires, What has been your Experience

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 9474 times

Old 07-27-2015, 01:04:01 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Trailer Tires, What has been your Experience

Any one know of 14" LT tires? Like one the early import PU's - 7.00x14. Thanks, ken.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2015, 09:46:30 PM
Subscriber

LT tires only come in 16 or larger. Makes good sence to have LT tires on a trailer if you already have a truck that has them on, afterall the trailer is going to be going as fast as the truck. At lest my trailer goes as fast as my truck.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:16:47 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken karrow View Post
Any one know of 14" LT tires? Like one the early import PU's - 7.00x14. Thanks, ken.
Lots of 14" LT tires are available. Here's a random example.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....4356&tab=Sizes
The Following User Says Thank You to RobertT For This Post:
Old 10-01-2015, 08:42:47 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,259 Times in 2,666 Posts

There are a lot of crap tires out there. I only have a single axle trailer that might see the occasional 1 ton load. This is an old UHaul 5x8 that was run out and sold by Uhaul as a frame and axle By UHaul before they ended the program.

It has tall skinny Goodyear tires that were virtually new at the time. That was in 1990 and today they're still near perfect. No weather cracking and 90% remaining tread. I'll run it at 75 mph all day with little heat build up etc. as I'll pump them up to 45 psi. Aah, the quality of things in the past. No idea what I'll replace them with down the road.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:55:03 PM
Subscriber

On most of my trailers I run 8-14.5 bias lowboys on Dayton rims. I true them when mounting and check them regularly when on the road and run the rated pressure on the tire. I inquired years ago with the Fla. highway patrol about the legalities of running that style of tire because of all of the people saying they are illegal and his response was if he pulled me over the only thing he could site me for is if they were (mobile home use only) tires. I get very good service with them running 60-65 mph.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Best For This Post:
Old 10-01-2015, 07:07:13 PM
Subscriber

I did not know about LT tires smaller then 16, I guess I just never had to mess with them. What I heard many times was people would change from 15 to16 in. wheels , just to get LT tires, And leave a lot of tire trouble behind.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:04:57 AM
Registered-I

There are plenty of 14 in trailer tires available at Discount Tire Direct.... free shipping too !
Old 10-12-2015, 03:19:20 PM
Registered-I

I have a 25' gooseneck trailer with 7k axles and I tried the expensive ($300 each) Goodyear unisteel 14 ply trailer tires once. I was rather disapointed when the sidewall blew out on one when the trailer was EMPTY! and Goodyear would not stand behind their product. But there are still 2 of them on the trailer and it has been several years now. Now when I get new tires on the pickup, I save the old ones for use on the trailer. They are 10 ply and I always keep 80 psi in them. I generally run 60-65 on the two lane roads and up to 70 on the 4 lane.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

I never have and never will own a trailer with mobile home axles and tires, not worth the trouble.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nebraska Kirk For This Post:
Old 10-12-2015, 09:24:14 PM
Engine Buyer

Thanked 4,032 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska Kirk View Post
I have a 25' gooseneck trailer with 7k axles and I tried the expensive ($300 each) Goodyear unisteel 14 ply trailer tires once.
Are those the Goodyear G614 Tires? I have them on a tandem dually gooseneck and was planning on buying a set real soon for my bumper pull trailer.

I want to buy your engines, especially rare ones! http://www.sideshaft.com
Old 10-12-2015, 09:43:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,528 Times in 1,106 Posts

An all steel (steel in the sidewall) tire is very tough but it can't take running low on air. The steel flexing steel breaks and the tire will blow on the sidewall, called the zipper effect. One of the guys was airing a trailer tire to check for a leak, had it leaning against the wall. It damaged a sheet of iron and broke a stud in the wall.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:29:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,737 Times in 853 Posts

Around here, most trailers are the most abused and neglected piece of equipment anyone owns. Check air pressure? Very seldom. Go to the gravel pit and get a yard (about 1.4 ton) of sand for a weekend project and have the tires end up on the rim because nobody checked. Air pressure check is a MUST before leaving the yard with any trailer. The zipper effect is a non issue then.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoRo For This Post:
Old 10-13-2015, 02:18:55 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,601 Times in 4,252 Posts

When I first got my 8 x 10 flat bed trailer, it had 14" polyester 4 bias ply car tires on it! They lasted about 6 months and blew out the sidewalls. I then went to a steel ply radial car tire. They lasted about 3 years before the tread separated. I then went to a Goodyear trailer radial. 6 ply tread, 4 ply sidewall. They lasted about 10 years at high speed travel (65-70 MPH) before they blew out (within 100 miles of each other! The replacements did not last so long - I tried small truck tires from Costco. 6 ply, 4 sidewall. Chinese crap. Got about 2 years out of them. One let go at about 65 MPH. Darn near took off the trailer fender and did take out the tail light on my truck It didn't go flat though -I drove over 35 miles on the steel belts, at about 45 MPH, and it didn't go flat! Now have radial trailer tires, 6 ply steel on the road, 4 ply sidewall, rated for high speed (F rating). Got them from a tire shop. 3 years on the trailer, still look like new. I run about 2 tons on the trailer at 70 MPH for hours at a time, and they only get slightly warm to the hand.

A BIG MUST - Check tire pressure. Fill to MAXIMUM pressure COLD, NO LOAD. DO NOT run on low pressure! Low pressure builds sidewall flex. Sidewall flax makes heat. Heat is BAD for a tire! Too much heat means rubber breakdown, which leads to blow outs. Check your pressure with the trailer empty - NOT loaded. If you already have a load on, jack the tire off the ground, then check. Once loaded, tow at speed for about 1/2 an hour, and stop. Check the tire side wall for temperature. if hot to the touch, then check for overload or pressure. If low on pressure, let cool, jack and fill to rated pressure. if a tire is running hot, it is a sign that something is wrong! If using a dual axle trailer, MAKE SURE that axles are parallel. if not aligned, the stress will cause excess wear and sidewall heating. backing into or hitting a curb can cause mis-alignment. Check the weight rating on the tires. Overloading will cause early failure. At least twice a year - jack up the axle and spin the tire. Check the brakes (if you have them), and watch for tire distortion and or a bent rim. Bubbles or tire wobble will tell you if there are concerns of tire failure. Run out (tire out of round) can be a sign of tread separation - the rubber breaking away from the belting) Make sure the tires are balanced. Tire balance will help your bearings last, and will also keep things on your trailer from vibrating apart! While you have your tires off the ground -

Check your wheel bearings. There should be no play when you try to twist the tire in and out from front to back, and from top to bottom. Any movement, and you will need to remove and inspect. Many a tire has been lost to bad bearings. I have seen bad bearings actually weld themselves to the axle, leading to lock uo or actual axle breakage! repack at least yearly. Check seals too. If leaking grease, replace and chack bearings for wear. Todays bearing greases are mostly soap complex based. if water gets into the grease, it turns caustic and will cause erosion and burn out of the bearings. Use of 'bearing buddy' grease caps is convenient, but tend to blow out the inner seals, leading to brake failure and grease contamination from the outside. There is no replacement for a manual inspedtion and repacking of your bearings once a year.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:28:22 PM
Registered-I

That is very good advice, Andrew, but you really don't need to jack up a loaded trailer tire to check the air pressure. The tire air pressure will read the same if it is loaded or not.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:02:23 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska Kirk View Post
That is very good advice, Andrew, but you really don't need to jack up a loaded trailer tire to check the air pressure. The tire air pressure will read the same if it is loaded or not.
Totally Correct !!
Old 10-14-2015, 09:10:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,467 Times in 647 Posts

[QUOTE=Andrew Mackey;
Check your wheel bearings. There should be no play when you try to twist the tire in and out from front to back, and from top to bottom. Any movement, and you will need to remove and inspect. Many a tire has been lost to bad bearings. I have seen bad bearings actually weld themselves to the axle, leading to lock uo or actual axle breakage! repack at least yearly. Check seals too. If leaking grease, replace and chack bearings for wear. Todays bearing greases are mostly soap complex based. if water gets into the grease, it turns caustic and will cause erosion and burn out of the bearings. Use of 'bearing buddy' grease caps is convenient, but tend to blow out the inner seals, leading to brake failure and grease contamination from the outside. There is no replacement for a manual inspedtion and repacking of your bearings once a year.[/QUOTE]

I should not say this because I will probablly jinks my self but luckily I have never had a wheel bearing go out. I am faithful about keeping them greased. Same goes for lawn mower blade spindles I grease them regularly, my mower is 33 years old with the same spindle bearings.

The two main reasons I have seen wheel bearings go out is lack of service (grease).
Also I have seen them go out form being tightened to tight. They seem fine when they are cold, but when in use the more they heat up the tighter they get.

It happened to a friend of mine. He packed the bearings on the front of his car, they were fine for a while but at the worst time out in the middle of no where one of them started squealing. He stopped before it locked up but it melted all the grease out. He took it apart and got some grease from the freshly packed bearing on the other side to put in it so he could get to the next town.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:53:47 PM
Subscriber

Well I guess if you leave tires on a trailer long enough and maybe put 60,ooo or 70,ooo miles on them, you mit have a problem some day. On post #5 I said I change tires on my trailer that I haul my tractor on about every 4 or 5 years. I live in Georgia and went to Fla, Ala, Tenn, Ky, Ill, Iowa, Minn, Wis, Ind, Ohio, Penn, NY, Conn, W.Va, Va, N.C, & S.C. in 5 years time. A lot of states at least 4 or 5 times. Well I blew a tire this last Sun. coming back from Fla. What I forgot about was that the tires on my trailer, was that they were on my F250 PICKUP for 2 years before I put them on my trailer. They were made in 06 & 07, Notbad for Firestone LT tires. Plan your trips and be safe. Buy good tires, if posable Roger Weinhold AKA Charlie 1925. Check my profile to see what I haul all over this country.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:09:49 PM
Subscriber

and Md. sorry, bonk:
Old 10-31-2015, 06:39:53 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rozevink View Post
Are those the Goodyear G614 Tires? I have them on a tandem dually gooseneck and was planning on buying a set real soon for my bumper pull trailer.
Yep, those are the ones!
Old 10-31-2015, 08:36:26 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,573 Times in 1,645 Posts

I use truck tires, just put Firestone Transport HT's on the camper a the dually..

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
Old 12-04-2015, 04:07:02 AM
Subscriber

Fred; Where did you get them at and how much? I like firestone tires, got them on one truck, (250 Ford) and two of my trailers . My son has them on his 250 (ford) also. Roger Weinhold AKA Charlie 1925