Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Antique Machine Tools (Pre 1930)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Machine Tools (Pre 1930)

Lineshaft Shop Steam Engine

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1625 times

Old 05-04-2018, 02:12:20 PM
Subscriber

Default Lineshaft Shop Steam Engine

I would like to share my latest acquisition...This is a J.W, LEES. early box bed steam engine that I will be using as a partial power source for my line shaft machine shop museum. I will explain the "partial power" part in a moment. The engine was built in Renovo Pennsylvania.. but aside from that I have little to no information on the maker and its existence...it is a beautiful well made engine. The flywheel on this engine is not correct and has been replaced with a small flywheel at some point in its life... I am searching for a curved spoke flywheel roughly 28-30" inches in diameter give or take with roughly a 4" face... if anyone can help me out with that please let me know. I would also like to put the word out that I am searching for a generator or dynamo from the 1800's to also incorporate into the line shaft shop... This will only to be used for period style hanging lights.. I know very little about the difference between a dynamo vs. a generator ...I believe a generator is AC power and Dynamo DC but information and suggestions on this topic are invited as I am going through the learning process. As for the "partial power" that I mentioned earlier.. I will have the shop completely set up to run on steam but I will also have a gasoline mill engine set up in the shop to depict the period of transition during which a shop may have abandoned the steam power and switched over to a gas engine...this also enables me to run the shop at a moments notice without building steam. Any help on finding a flywheel and finding a dynamo or generator would be much appreciated along with any helpful information or ideas. Thanks George
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s1.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	309757   Click image for larger version

Name:	s2.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	309758   Click image for larger version

Name:	s3.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	309759   Click image for larger version

Name:	s4.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	309760  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to George Kulisiewicz For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2018, 12:59:21 AM
Registered

Default Re: Lineshaft shop Steam engine

That is a nice engine you have for your line shaft shop. I have been also working on a small line shaft shop.
The Following User Says Thank You to cncFireman For This Post:
Old 05-07-2018, 10:43:47 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Lineshaft shop Steam engine

cncfireman,
How is your shop coming along? What for machines will you have in it and what type of power source?
Old 05-08-2018, 12:11:21 AM
Registered

Default Re: Lineshaft Shop Steam Engine

It had been coming along but I am moving currently. So I will be moving my shop. I have a few lathes from the 19th century in various periods. Two of my engine lathes are most likely pre 1850. I have the same Wilkinson planer you have. I posted a picture in your other thread. And some other machine tools from the 1900s. A couple of vertical steam engines and piles of line shaft hangers and pulleys and raw stock to fabricate the shafts. Overall its a small hobby shop sized collection.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:59:41 AM
Subscriber

I would love to see your shop when finished... My shop will largely consist of small machines... Easier to manage and fit more in one area... I have lots of good ideas to incorporate into my shop but always looking for different ornate machines to add.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:29:01 AM
Registered

I have seen your othet threads you have a nice collection. Sounds like a fun project.
The Following User Says Thank You to cncFireman For This Post:
Old 06-18-2018, 11:02:31 PM
Registered

i can probably help you with your flywheel i build patterns so i can make you what ever you need i know im years late finding this post but figured i would reply any way
Old 06-27-2018, 06:59:58 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by old iron shops View Post
i can probably help you with your flywheel i build patterns so i can make you what ever you need i know im years late finding this post but figured i would reply any way
Thank you for offering..I am happy to say I found a flywheel from another Stak member and it seems like it will be a real nice fit...I will add some pictures when I get some time.