Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Heavy Industrial Equipment > Railroads and Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Railroads and Equipment Vintage Rail Engines, Vintage Railroads and Cars, Equipment and Lore

Railroads and Equipment

Uncle Pete vs semi

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 1119 times

Old 03-22-2019, 02:43:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,262 Times in 2,666 Posts
Default Uncle Pete vs semi

A little excitement in my town this morning. A semi hauling steel got hung up on a grade crossing and here comes CP. Truck obviously split in two and Uncle Pete ate some beams. I'm sure they'll drop that one off at the Butler shops to buff out the scratches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8000.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	331128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8001.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	331129   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8002.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	331130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8003.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	331131  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2019, 05:11:34 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Uncle Pete vs semi

I'll get the story from my kid the cop tomorrow. He was on scene responding to it.

Lucky it didn't derail right in the middle of town. It was an ethanol alky train and that could have torched a big area.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:15:24 PM
Registered-II

no pic of the semi? or whats left...lol..
Old 03-23-2019, 09:21:22 AM
Subscriber

The crash was around 8:30 am and the semi was all cleaned up and gone when I got there around 2:00.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:52:52 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,602 Times in 4,252 Posts
Exclamation Re: Uncle Pete vs semi

We had a grade crossing in town that always had trucks getting hung up on, even though there were LARGE signs saying NO TRUCKS. It seemed one would get hung up a month. Most just needed to have the pony wheels and the mounts at the front of the trailer to be burned off and a large wrecker to help the tractor pull the trailer over the hump to move the truck. One idiot hit the grade so fast he actually lifted the tractor drive wheels a foot off the ground, and actually bent the railroad rails under the trailer! Luckily, the train only runs thru town twice a week, and with 6 grade crossings, we have never had a train/vehicle collision in over 100 years of railroad operation. About 6 years ago, we did stage one though. We took a school bus that was going to be scrapped and stove in one side with a back hoe. That was a hard thing to try and fold up! We then took the bus and turned it on its side near one of the grade crossins and then the locomotive crew ran the engine up against the bus to simulate a collision. VERY realistic looking. The train crew also had 2 tank cars and 4 bulk carrier box cars, and they manually derailed several of the box cars. As i said, VERY REALISTIC. We then had a bunch of local scouts (both boys and girls) as well as family members get into the bus and lay on the ground at the scene, with various injuries simulated. Then the tones were sent out for fire dept.response. This was a major mass casualty drill for us. Unknown to us, a county monitor picked up the tones and thought it was the real thing! Next thing we know, county dispatch sends out a county all call for both hazmat (tank cars) and multiple town ambulance response. One hell of a drill, as it turned out. We learned a lot from that one. End result: nobody injured, everyone played their part, and the train crew was great. As for our truck hanging crossing, the town and railroad finally closed the road at the crossing. made one end a dead end street, and completely eliminated the crossing and access at the other side (low end). Now if we can stop idiots from making the right turn where the road no longer exists!

Lucky that CP loco only got scratches. i have seen a lot worse train/truck collisions!
Old 03-23-2019, 03:12:13 PM
Subscriber

How's the semi driver?
Old 03-23-2019, 04:04:41 PM
Subscriber

He was out before the spark show.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:38:46 AM
Subscriber

My kid the deputy reported in.
The crossing is next to a greater than 90 degree intersection. The semi was trying to make that turn after driving over the tracks but to make the turn he had to back up a couple times. (stupid move) The back end of the trailer got hooked on some bollards and there it sat.

He was hauling a heavy load of about 3x5 foot 1/2" thick steel plates.
The choo choo hit the last 5 feet of the trailer sending these sheets everywhere and spinning the trailer around and it clobbered the loco high up.

Per the railroad guys it broke the alternator off the diesel and bent the frame so they'll scrap the loco.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0322191534.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	331247  
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 09:55:52 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 5,988 Times in 3,080 Posts

I'd be willing to speculate that the trucker was following his GPS to find his delivery point. Those things ought to be banned! The thing will always route you through places where you have no business! It will send you through a maze of suburbs instead of down the main highway that likely will run past a few blocks away. Send you down dead end streets or alley, when the through streets are one street over. Learned this the hard way, now I don't even have one as the Damned things are dangerous to use. I often wondered if the people behind the GPS program, do these routings for evil pranks or if their that stupid! But once it gets you in trouble with a large vehicle your screwed!
Old 03-24-2019, 10:03:43 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 6,799 Times in 3,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWurth View Post
I'd be willing to speculate that the trucker was following his GPS to find his delivery point. Those things ought to be banned!....do these routings for evil pranks or if their that stupid! But once it gets you in trouble with a large vehicle your screwed!
The GPS programmers assume that everyone will be driving a little car that can turn on a dime. IMHO, GPS devices should have a "large vehicle" option that avoids those small streets.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 10:13:20 AM
Registered-II

I have not acquired one yet but an RV specific gps device is available giving routing specifically tuned to your vehicles capabilities. You input the parameters.
JG
The Following User Says Thank You to jgreen416 For This Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 10:20:25 AM
Subscriber

As to the greater than 90 degree turn and a long trailer, anyone can do a fast mental calc and not attempt the turn. Yeah it's a small town with good wide roads, and yeah he'd have to go straight or turn the other direction then make a turn around to get where he is going. I can't blame a gps for this debacle.

Fortunately those steel plates didn't kill anyone. That old Milwaukee Road train depot is now a restaurant and it was full with people chowing breakfast. The kid said a plate did hit it and some windows were broken and five were transported to the hospital. Most probably because they shit themselves.

edit:
Kid says they brought in a truck from the local lumber yard with one of those fork lifts that self attach to the back of the truck to clean the steel up. Yeah so what to do with the stuff? He apparently made 'the delivery' to the end customer which was only a half mile from the crash. I guess it took a couple trips as it is just a tandem straight truck. Nice service huh? A major crash and the customer still gets his material the same day.

Last edited by I like oldstuff; 03-24-2019 at 10:44:10 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:16:48 AM
Subscriber

He was attempting this turn.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	turn.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	331268  
Old 03-24-2019, 11:41:31 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,788 Times in 1,880 Posts

Wow. Bent frames are normally reserved for major derailments. Maybe the auxiliary generator was broken loose, but it is hard to imagine the traction generator being broken off from the prime mover. They are ~3 MW, and very large! Even in severe wrecks where the prime mover is torn from the frame, seems the generator remains attached to the engine.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:56:57 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,166 Times in 1,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
The GPS programmers assume that everyone will be driving a little car that can turn on a dime. IMHO, GPS devices should have a "large vehicle" option that avoids those small streets.
GPS units are made specifically for tractor trailers. They are supposed to keep them on tractor trailer safe routes. Amazon Best Sellers: Best Trucking GPS Units - Amazon.com.

When we take long trips, I have a CB radio, and follow trucker advice on routes around accidents or tie ups. The only complaint I have heard is in traffic tie ups, Trucking GPS do not show alternate routes using local roads.

Truckers tell each other about local roads around traffic problem, and any bad spots.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:41:22 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
Wow. Bent frames are normally reserved for major derailments.
Of course we're relying on a cops second or third hand report!
Maybe the frame had a dent in it. Maybe the gen was just garfed up. We all know how stories go.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:49:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,092 Times in 1,909 Posts

Why the rail road isn't held responsiable for crossings being difficult I will never understand. .But railroad gets all the perks.Not in the best intrest of the people.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:14:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,788 Times in 1,880 Posts

In virtually every case, the railroad was there FIRST, and they graciously ALLOW public crossings at grade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 03-24-2019, 02:14:45 PM
Subscriber

+1 Van. The railroad came in around 1870. The town Oconomowoc was started as there's a very active flow from an aquifer that powered a good size feed mill. As the town grew it then became a summer home playground for the rich from St Louis, Chicago etc. On the many lakes around here are mansions with names still recognized today such as Armour of Armour meats and several others. Capone also had a lake home here. All the red stone for the classic style railroad depot was choo choo'd in from Missouri and other areas.

Funny thing is that as the town grew in the last 40 years so did train incursions. We now seem to get 1-2 train somethings per year.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:24:20 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblue66 View Post
Why the rail road isn't held responsiable for crossings being difficult I will never understand. .But railroad gets all the perks.Not in the best intrest of the people.
You're kidding, right? Take a look at the Google pic. The RR runs straight through. Now look at the road pattern. Why did the town build such a screwy street pattern?