Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Antique Machine Tools (Pre 1930)
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Machine Tools (Pre 1930)

A Tale of Woe (help me feel better with YOUR take of woe)

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 1729 times

Old 03-29-2019, 05:42:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,592 Times in 691 Posts
Default Re: A Tale of Woe (help me feel better with YOUR take of woe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickJ View Post
Is gear oil worse smelling then the gallon of milk my mother left in the trunk of her brand new Camry for a few weeks?

My father-in-law forgot several turnips in his trunk. We went on a 1600 mile trip with him and our 6 month old daughter in diapers. The whole time we thought it was our daughter's diapers that smelled so bad. When he got home and our daughter wasn't around it smelled even worse. That year old car was never the same again.
The Following User Says Thank You to DustyBar For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2019, 07:43:15 AM
Subscriber

Potatoes that have gone bad are right up there. Or a mouse that has been dead for about a week. Shellfish reeks too.

---------- Post added at 07:43:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38:38 AM ----------

When you had that contest Andrew, all you had to do it ask for a sample of my wife's flatulence. OMG, when that woman f$#ts it STINKS !
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Holmander For This Post:
Old 03-30-2019, 12:55:58 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,584 Times in 4,241 Posts

My son is in the military. He LOVES laying SBDs at work - drives the superior officers crazy I DO know about spousal farts. We were on our way home from our honeymoon when i smelled a sewer plant near Phily PA, that was near the highway. About 15 minutes (and 35 miles later), i smelled it again, but it was even worse. I turned to say something to my wife about it, and she was trying to smother laughter and tears running down her face. i had to stop and get out of the car it was so bad. Turns out it was not the sewer plant at all - it was her butt! i told her if she did that again, she was riding on the roof! P.U. It was not the last time she cleared a room!

Another stink that stays is panther piss - old stale gas, and not the crappy e-10 stuff either. i mean 20 or 30 year old old style stale gas. i bought a Fairbanks-Morse 11/2 HP Z engine and put it in the trunk of my moms brand new Ford Greneda. We did not have that car for a week yet, when we went to a farm sale. The panther piss gas leaked out of the fuel tank and soaked the trunk liner and went into the spare tire well too. What a smell! i had to pay for a new liner and spare tire (the gas ate the rubber), and to have the compartment steam cleaned. I think the steam cleaning just spread the smel! The car would stink every time it got hot, in the summer, and stil smelled 4 years later when mymom traded it in. The day she traded it in, she hing 4 of those smelly trees in the car, and you still could smell that dead gas!
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 03-30-2019, 08:47:47 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,557 Times in 679 Posts

The worst is when you do it to yourself. A while ago I "found" (or did they find me?) some bananas I had forgotten in the trunk. That's right up there with the spoiled spuds or stale gas for potency. ..................PD
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete Deets For This Post:
Old 03-31-2019, 07:42:15 AM
Subscriber

One last stinky story to share and I am done. In my town, we do not have trash pickup. We have a transfer station where you take all your waste to get rid of it. One Saturday morning I was on my way to the Transfer Station in my little Ford ranger pickup. It was a really hot day and the truck had no a/c so I had the windows down. As I made this right hand turn on the way there I was instantly over come by this horrendously horrible stench. It reeked and I had to actually pull over as I felt like I was going to puke. Once stopped I realized what it was. Apparently someone had hauled a dump truck load of chicken manure. We had had allot of rain recently and the manure was soupy and when the guy made the same turn I did, a ton of it spilled out from his loose tailgate onto the roadway. I drove right through it and my tires threw it up all inside my fender wells. I gagged all the way to the dump, and all the way home. Had to use a power washer on my truck to get it off because by the time I got home, it had dried on the metal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Holmander For This Post:
Old 04-15-2019, 02:46:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,427 Times in 783 Posts

Did you repair the band saw?

I dropped my great grandfathers Old Onan generator while I was beginning to restore it. Sling slipped and with the oil/base removed the Center of gravity had changed enough she tipped over. Broke the aluminum control box and one of the relays. Man was I upset with myself! I ended up repairing it for the most part.

I have a “wall of carnage” at my fathers shop... back in the day we raced just about anything with a piston... I’ve got broken rods, pistons with valves jammed through them, you name it... SH1T happens!
Old 04-23-2019, 04:23:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,838 Times in 937 Posts

Worse yet, accidently weed whack your wifes' poppies that her deceased mother gave her and find out those are worth more than anything cast iron and old.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:56:57 AM
Registered-I

i turned over a number 2 Cincinnati horizontal universal mill with powered indexing head and gear drive installed after driving 250 miles with it safely. thought i would be smooth used a skytrak giant fork lift pulled wrong handle tipped over broke table off crushed gear drive
Old 04-26-2019, 11:31:40 AM
Registered-I

I was well into restoring an ancient teletype when I started on the paper tape perforator. Cleaned the anvil casting from the punch and put it on top of an electric heater to dry. Came back ten minutes later to find a puddle of melted pot metal where I had left a solid casting. End of project!

George
Old 04-28-2019, 09:26:50 PM
Subscriber

Yikes!