Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Fuels and Alternative Fuels
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Fuels and Alternative Fuels Materials or substances that can be used as a fuel, waste oils, vegetable oils or animal fats, which can be used alone, or blended with fossil fuels.

Fuels and Alternative Fuels

Cooking grease theft now $75 million a year industry

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 924 times

Old 04-19-2019, 02:49:24 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,268 Times in 2,471 Posts
Default Cooking grease theft now $75 million a year industry

Black market thieves are stealing more than $75 million in old cooking grease each year, according to a new report.

A man was caught earlier this month siphoning about 150 gallons of grease from a dumpster behind a Burger King in northern Virginia, the Washington Post reported.

Law enforcement officers told The Post that a hike in biodiesel prices is helping to spur the fast food grease thefts.

Rendering companies normally pay restaurants a fee to remove the grease and sell it for things like biofuel or animal feed, The Post reported.

Corporate lawyer Charles Gittins said his rendering company lost $5 million in grease thefts in 2015, the last year. “You can make $10,000 in a night,” he added.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cooking-g...ndustry-report
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harry For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2019, 12:22:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,867 Posts
Default Re: Cooking grease theft now $75 million a year industry

Another form of scrap theft...

I wonder how long before they start breaking into the kitchen to steal the grease right out of the fryer?
Old 04-19-2019, 01:33:44 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,205 Posts

That sounds like bullshit to me. How the hell could you make $10K on one night stealing fryer oil? What could it possibly be worth? Even if you could sell it for $2 a gallon, you would have to sell 5,000 gallons of stolen oil a day, I don't think so. 5000 gallons of vegetable oil a day would be enough for an entire city.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Hazzard For This Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 02:07:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,159 Times in 2,046 Posts

Last I heard the rendering companies were still CHARGING restaurants to remove the grease.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:15:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,241 Times in 648 Posts

Driving diesels the last 35 years I know the LAST crap I would put in my fuel tank is filtered waste fryer oil. To me driving for free isnt worth destroying my injectors and pump over time with its corrosive properties plus you have to make damned sure you get ALL the moisture out of it. These rotary style pumps are lubed by the fuel so thats vital. I'll take my #2 thanks. Reminds me of the old German that would mix waste engine oil, lathe cutting oil, transformer oil, and anything else he got his hands on into his 700,000 mile beat up 1960 Mercedes 190D 30 years ago when those old inline pumps could take it.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:01:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,239 Times in 2,657 Posts

I have to agree with moto. The few people I know that fiddled with waste frying oil eventually gave up as it's too much of a problematic hassle. Pumps wear out and the engines gunk up the rings as it's such a dirty form of fuel. Or their oil burning shop heaters would gunk up and quit, or the stuff would congeal.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:33:15 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,573 Times in 1,645 Posts

Titrating WVO can be a pain, but with patience it can save a lot of money if you are using a lot of fuel. Even with today's prices at you can save $2.50 per gallon. Initial investment for a apple seed processor and other equipment and chemicals is high unless you make you own equipment. McDonald's in Chicago at one time had their own plant for their delivery trucks. McDonald's would also not let you have their waste oil because of liability reasons. Krispy Kreme said they didn't have any waste oil because it left in their donuts. They just continued to add oil. If the fuel was made correctly a vehicle would run better and got better performance on WVO. The ones I have been around sounded a littler noisier but smelled like french fries. The people that I knew of made a kit so to test the waste oil before they removed it because it can be cooked till it has no value. Four families in Green Hill Indiana ran 4 VW TDI's for 100's of thousands of miles with no problem. It is a good way of recycling waste cooking oil and what is left after titration is biodegradable.

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Van Hook For This Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 09:07:10 PM
Subscriber

I looked into wvo some years ago when diesel was $5 gallon, then I opened the lid and looked into a wvo tank, it was all I could do to choke back the dry heaves. Wmo seems much easier and smells better imho, sadly my truck cannot handle it. When in Tx I stop into the free store twice a week, get all the motor oil, 2 stroke and dex/merc, 1 qt per tankfull keeps the truck happy.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:56:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,251 Times in 646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormowers View Post
Driving diesels the last 35 years I know the LAST crap I would put in my fuel tank is filtered waste fryer oil. To me driving for free isnt worth destroying my injectors and pump over time with its corrosive properties plus you have to make damned sure you get ALL the moisture out of it. These rotary style pumps are lubed by the fuel so thats vital. I'll take my #2 thanks. Reminds me of the old German that would mix waste engine oil, lathe cutting oil, transformer oil, and anything else he got his hands on into his 700,000 mile beat up 1960 Mercedes 190D 30 years ago when those old inline pumps could take it.
Modern low sulfur diesel fuel has next to no lubricity in it either, that's why a lot of older pumps get destroyed trying to use it. Converting it to biodiesel should actually extend pump life because the biodiesel better lubricates it than the diesel fuel of today. Now trying to run that WVO as-is without processing first you'll just wreck the pump with grit and wreck the cylinders with coked up rings and valves. Very few engines can take straight WVO without problems, I'm told the indirect injected diesels tend to fare better because the longer flame path gives the fuel more time to heat up and burn.

But its like everything else in the world really. If you ask first plenty of non-franchise places will let you have some without too much fuss. Franchise places almost never allow it because of liabilities. A lot of people seem to think they can just help themselves to these 'waste' materials, when it is still theft and you don't really know if they are paying to haul it or being paid for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Odin For This Post:
Old 04-19-2019, 11:48:42 PM
Subscriber

Ok, I have to ask, what is the perceived "liability" of letting someone have used cooking oil?
Old 04-20-2019, 12:43:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,241 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Modern low sulfur diesel fuel has next to no lubricity in it either, that's why a lot of older pumps get destroyed trying to use it. Converting it to biodiesel should actually extend pump life because the biodiesel better lubricates it than the diesel fuel of today. Now trying to run that WVO as-is without processing first you'll just wreck the pump with grit and wreck the cylinders with coked up rings and valves. Very few engines can take straight WVO without problems, I'm told the indirect injected diesels tend to fare better because the longer flame path gives the fuel more time to heat up and burn.

But its like everything else in the world really. If you ask first plenty of non-franchise places will let you have some without too much fuss. Franchise places almost never allow it because of liabilities. A lot of people seem to think they can just help themselves to these 'waste' materials, when it is still theft and you don't really know if they are paying to haul it or being paid for it.
If its an old inline pump it wont be affected because those are lubricated by the engine oil not the fuel. Old rotary pumps are another story though. I dont know anyone at all that runs straight WVO that hasnt processed it. It will clog the fillters in no time and sludge everything thing up, plus with all the water in it it wont burn right and will cause corrosion problems in the system. That being said. There is no such thing as free fuel. No one factors in their time to buy the equipment or make it, cost of changing filters, time needed to run it through all the processes, then dispose of the waste after, then clean the tanks for the latest batch, you really save very little. My time is valued at $40.00 per hour. I'd rather be making money doing repairs than spending it filtering fuel. Its different if you have a huge fleet of trucks and have a refining setup in house and go through LOTS of fuel. And that soy biodiesel is another joke, a local school bus company ran all their busses on it. Most times when you saw them they were spitting out blueish white raw fuel because of all the fuel system issues they kept having. Eventually they switched back to diesel which was $1.00 cheaper a gallon than soy based biodiesel.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:53:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,251 Times in 646 Posts

I worked with a guy at one point who had a VW Passat TDI rigged to run straight veggie oil. Had a 50 gallon tank in the trunk with its own fuel pump, and a switch on the dash. Fire up the engine on standard diesel, then once it was hot throw the switch to cut off the diesel tank pump and turn on the WVO tank pump.

His setup would use engine coolant to preheat the WVO so it would be thin enough to get through the injection system, and had multiple filters in the line to catch all the crust and any water that got through.

The biggest caveat to all this was that he had to switch it back to diesel before letting it cool down, or the WVO would thicken in the pipe and it would be very difficult to get it running again. But eventually he'd probably have issues with coked up piston rings and valves, requiring a major engine teardown to correct. Of course the car was a beat up clunk anyway, so I don't think he cared and would just run it until it died. His WVO came from the fryer of a family member's bar, so he was saving a ton of money on fuel costs driving over an hour each way to get to work and back.

I would think by now those interested could buy prepared biodiesel, that way they have convenience not far from pump diesel as well as compatibility with an unmodified vehicle. At the very least there's enough people around that have the equipment to do the processing that they could probably turn a profit if they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
Ok, I have to ask, what is the perceived "liability" of letting someone have used cooking oil?
Sometimes I think a lot of creative people that would have been successful writers or moviemakers got forced into law school. If you push the matter they'll invent some wild scenario about you using their waste oil to make ANFO and blow up a building, or some other similarly crazy situation that they could end up with bad press or worse direct liability for anything bad happening. Its just safer and ultimately cheaper for these businesses to tell you no and then pay a qualified hauling company to take it away instead of letting you have it for them.

And I know there have been cases where a company 'gave away' hazardous waste to someone who volunteered to take it and 'recycle' it, only for years later a hazardous waste site was discovered and traced back to them as the source, with the nobody who had hauled it at the time completely gone from the analysis and liability path.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:15:30 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 9,573 Times in 1,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
I was told that if there was a spill after it left their premises it was their responsibility to clean it up and/or could be fined. Also they said that someone could claim to be a employee and if hurt workmans comp and insurance could get involved. (law suits)
The company I used to work for changed hoist chain every year (thousands of feet) and would not let employees have it because if someone got hurt using it they could have been held responsible.

Engine movies can be seen at: pileofiron
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred Van Hook For This Post: