Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Antique Autos and Trucks
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Autos and Trucks All about finding and fixing old car or truck engines and vintage vehicles.

Antique Autos and Trucks

28 Lycoming Model 4SL International Truck

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 739 times

Old 05-14-2019, 01:29:17 PM
Registered

Default 28 Lycoming Model 4SL International Truck

Looking for Engine crank bearings for this motor. In a 1928 International Farm truck.

Any help is appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Safetyviking For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2019, 06:36:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,960 Times in 2,450 Posts
Default Re: 28 Lycoming Model 4SL International Truck

www.oldinternationaltrucks.com

Welcome to the forum
Old 05-15-2019, 02:46:54 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,242 Times in 969 Posts

There's also oldihc.org, which also has a page of parts sources...
Comments've been that Lyc parts are not that easy to find; I hope that's wrong...
A 36 King Products catalog lists the 4SL in rhe Lycoming engine section, shows no rod bearings, shows 4 mains (rods poured?? NLA then ??)...
In that Lyc section, a diferent engine series that had rods listed (but lists no mains!!) notes three kinds---original die cast used in first motors, later bronze backs, and a third set drilled with two large oil holes "...as used in Intn'l trucks..."...
Under Int'l trucks there's a listing for a batch of 26-33 models that uses the same mains AND shows rod bearings, with the notation "...use (listed rod bearing #) flanged, in interchangeable bearing type replacement rods; Original rods had cast-in bearings...)...
If you have a model # I'll see if that last listing includes yours...
Possibly more helpful. the listing for the 4SL mains says the same mains were on the 2S, 3S, 4S, 4SG, and 4SM 6cyl engines...
Ir's past my bedtime here; in the AM I'll check my Lyc lists to see if anything with familiar names or Clubs used any of those...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Tierney For This Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 10:43:59 PM
Registered

Sorry, can't really help on this one; while 4SLs got into several trucks, IH's the only familiar name...
Others of that set of engines were used by Auburn (maybe---one catalog lists a "2SL" that doesn't appear on my Lyc engine list)...by Elcar (2S) and Gardner (2S)..
I believe all three have Clubs that might know of Lycoming parrs sources...
Lyc did it's share of exporting; if nothing else works out you might query one of the UK members here re' obsolete Lyc parts sources in the UK or on the Continent...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Tierney For This Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 11:30:32 PM
Subscriber

Try Egge Machine. I don't think they list that old under IHC. But they have parts for many engines and know everything. Check first if it's shell or poured rods.
Also... how's your oil pump. That's the achilles heel on those engines.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:07:19 PM
Registered

OT---The Lyc oil pump problem may be limited to some of the C series engines: the CT and the Cs used in Gardners for sure, but I was advised one of the Cs used in an Auburn had a cast iron pump...'
So far I haven't seen or heard of any of the other Lycs using the pot metal types; if you have anything definite on this please advise
Old 05-16-2019, 01:23:03 PM
Subscriber

It’s usually easier to find a good replacement motor than weird old engine rebuild parts.
I’m the Central CA “IHC Warehouse” but don’t remember having one of those motors.
Here in the San Joaquin Valley, trucks might’ve gotten wrecked out but engines/ chassis were kept to run Irrigation pumps or other farm-related tasks. This stuff is still all around us.
To illustrate my point: I recently bought a $225 1920s GMC truck without a motor. Without much work found a running motor about three hours away. The “donor” is a 1921 GMC shortened into a tractor. At the same place I bought the first GMC the seller had an ancient Best Tractor that was skeletonized to an Irrigation pump.
Don’t get stuck on application. Look around. Take a trip to Central CA before it gets hit!
Good Luck! I’ll be looking for you!
Old 05-17-2019, 01:12:05 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
The Lyc oil pump problem may be limited to some of the C series engines: the CT and the Cs used in Gardners for sure, but I was advised one of the Cs used in an Auburn had a cast iron pump.
The CT have the pot metal pump. Not sure about any others.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:41:07 PM
Registered

MMs comments above raise an interesting point...
Assuming you're trying to keep it original, I've wondered, of those IH models using Wauk anf Lyc engines, whether the company provided an IH engine option for those buyers who preferred to stay as "in-house" as possible...
If so, the "in-house" engine would probably be one of their production engines, presumably easier to find/repair, and the truck would still be 'period' if not original...
I'd also assumed you'd exhausted the profe$$ional obsolete parts dealers like Egge (Jobbers Inc reportedly has a considerable range of obsolete parts, which they sem to, also reportedly, think quite highly of---understandably)...
If not, there's a fair list to begin with on the Vendors and Restoration Services section of justoldtrucks...
Old 05-17-2019, 01:53:12 PM
Subscriber

Yes, my like-year IHC six speed special had a Waukesha. Ran great. I suspect easier to find Waukesha than Lycoming.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:25:15 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsonmotors View Post
It’s usually easier to find a good replacement motor than weird old engine rebuild parts.
I’m the Central CA “IHC Warehouse” but don’t remember having one of those motors.
Here in the San Joaquin Valley, trucks might’ve gotten wrecked out but engines/ chassis were kept to run Irrigation pumps or other farm-related tasks. This stuff is still all around us.
To illustrate my point: I recently bought a $225 1920s GMC truck without a motor. Without much work found a running motor about three hours away. The “donor” is a 1921 GMC shortened into a tractor. At the same place I bought the first GMC the seller had an ancient Best Tractor that was skeletonized to an Irrigation pump.
Don’t get stuck on application. Look around. Take a trip to Central CA before it gets hit!
Good Luck! I’ll be looking for you!
Thats great information.
Would you know where to start looking for a replacement engine.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:33:42 PM
Subscriber

I always start by googling what I’m looking for.
You can also try Tempest or AllofCraigslist.
Patience sure helps.
The wider you throw your net the better your chances are.
I’ll pay more attention to what you are looking for around here. Please post pictures of your engine and the truck if you haven’t already.
Often in these cases the parts truck you are looking for, upon discovery and purchase, becomes the viable builder while the original truck becomes the parts truck! It happens to me all the time. That being the case try not to take the search or the outcome or yourself too seriously.
However, have no doubt that a replacement is out there. Just gotta turn over enough stones.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:48:08 AM
Registered

I think a man named Crismon?? is/was the IH truck historian with several detailed books---one might say if your particular model had engine options or came solely with your Lyc...
If solely with your Lyc then you need to know if your model used a transmission that was designed to bolt up with other vendor period engines or whether you'd need to acquire/fab an adapter...here talking with other owners of your specific model will help with questions like if new motor mounts etc must be Mickey-Moused...
IH also used other Lycs in your period---C, CT , maybe other C's of the infamous oil pump, K, 3S (old catalogs differ). One of them might be easier to find and might---might---drop in...
IH also used the Wauk X, XA and XAH series, as mentioned above; aworkhorse engine series used in all kinds of vehicles, power unis etc, lots more around but may require major alterations...
Old 05-25-2019, 11:46:48 AM
Registered

Several years ago, before the last site meltdown on OldIHC.org, there was an attempt to fit a modern oil pump in place of the die-cast. I seem to remember they used a GM pump, It might have been a pump from an "Iron Duke" 4 cyl.
A lot of machining was done, but I don't remember all that was involved. but IIRC they got it working.
Might want to post over there and hopefully someone saved the info to their computer before the crash.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:30:58 PM
Registered

CB89---the replacement oil punp info from the US-Aussie oldihc replacement has been forwarded to the Gardner Club, as Gardners used some of the crumbling pumps (gardnermotors.com??)...
Don't have any info on the replacement pump worked out for Jim trembles Fageol...
Think---repeat, think--the oldihc archives concerned irretrievably lost...
OOPS---missed your point re' someone having the info on their computer; actually, it was one of the original parties who forwarded the info to the Gardner Club (sloroll??)...
Old 05-25-2019, 03:18:26 PM
Subscriber

Colonel Fred Crismon passed away a few years ago. His books on military vehicles and International Harvester are like bibles. However, the appropriate parts manual for your specific vehicle will tell you the real deal.
My point in this:
1) A replacement engine exists. Just gotta find it. You might have to purchase another truck and ship it. Those are the breaks.
2) And to not be so stuck on application. If another (running) engine will work why not use it? Our Depression-Era forebears used what was available and gladly so.