Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Tractor Collecting and Young People

this thread has 107 replies and has been viewed 7392 times

Old 06-12-2019, 10:19:11 AM
Registered

Thanked 5,695 Times in 2,203 Posts
Default Re: Tractor Collecting and Young People

Wouldn't that beer be nice for the young ones so as to get them started early drinking the urine of a lower form of life which stinks and tastes bad until one develops that horrible addictive habit!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2019, 01:01:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,025 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilpulled View Post
Wouldn't that beer be nice for the young ones so as to get them started early drinking the urine of a lower form of life which stinks and tastes bad until one develops that horrible addictive habit!
Scratch the beer, hot dogs may not be the best either?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 02:40:18 PM
Subscriber

Don't drink beer myself. The statement was made in jest. If you want to draw the interest of the younger generation offer free beer. Most of them are already drinking it. Seems to be the norm.

Last edited by b7100; 06-12-2019 at 04:53:10 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:05:09 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,206 Times in 539 Posts

Quote:
Get a sense of humor!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Bays For This Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 06:47:42 PM
Registered

How about cider and doughnuts?
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 07:28:13 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,234 Times in 905 Posts

Free beer....tomorrow....
Old 06-12-2019, 10:16:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,349 Times in 438 Posts

I feel that our hobby has been and will always continue to be in the minority. The changing demographics certainly do not help our situation however. As time progresses, we see fewer farms, fewer families farming and over all fewer people that even live rurally, and so the number of first hand connections to these types of collectibles diminishes.
In addition to this enrolment in the skilled trades is down, and finding other full time, decent paying work can be difficult, so the skills and dare I say money necessary to enjoy this hobby in its fullest may be lacking for many youth.
I think one way to attract those youth that fall outside the ever shrinking core demographic is to have the youth that already participate personally introduce their friends to the hobby. Why not have your pals from school, work or boyfriend/girlfriend hang out for an afternoon at home tinkering with something, take a drive going on a parts run or go as a group to their local show?
This hobby is all about the socializing anyways.
Maybe its too simple?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Blaney For This Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 01:27:56 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by b7100 View Post
Offer free beer and hot dogs,
I feel like you have missed out on a brilliant career in marketing!

---------- Post added at 05:27:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18:05 PM ----------

Quote:
How about cider and doughnuts?
The alcohol is still the excreta of yeast... a single (brain?)celled organism.
Lower form of life? To some maybe.
The Following User Says Thank You to mihit For This Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 02:03:42 AM
Registered

Here are a few ideas to catch the interest of the wine and cheese set.
1. Offer free wine and cheese (Cider and juice works too)
2. Set up a display with a small power running a dynamo that is charging batteries hooked to an inverter and offer free phone charging, now you have a captive audience
3. Run a grape crusher, collect and ferment into wine and offer it at next years event for free tastings. Do it every year.
4. Smile and don't be an old curmudgeon

Signed
An Old Curmudgeon
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oilzum For This Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 07:57:33 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,637 Times in 7,479 Posts

Don't know about the alcohol. If they are of age, that's their business. I am not allowed to drink anymore, but can still buy it if people want a beverage.
But the idea of good food is okay. If you are having a young group over, by all means offer up a BBQ or something nice. Everyone likes a good meal and there is something to be said for a nice gathering and eating together. It helps build the idea of a family.
Someone mentioned the old lads sitting around listening to old timey music. Yep, that can still the young heart. I recall at a show many years ago, the younger set, me included, put a couple of tractors on the Baker fans in the evening just at a medium rpm to enjoy the sound while we chatted. The old timers sent someone over to shut us down because it was interfering with their music show.
Young people like action, sights and sounds. Anything you can hook a tractor's draw bar or belt pulley to will help add to the appeal. If I ever get caught up and half-arsed organized, I want to have a fall plough day and have some folks over. Nothing fancy, just some farm-style ploughing and a BBQ. I know there are some younger folks around the area who would come.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 08:44:39 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,323 Times in 546 Posts

Need an Ap for antique tractors and shows. Seems like more important things on phones! Most shows I go to no young people even show up. Not sure if issue can be rectified. Maybe it will make a comeback like old cars did. I went tractor route as the car thing priced itself out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Molinegb For This Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 09:06:25 AM
Subscriber

A lot of shows don't let kids do very much unless they are old enough to have a driver's license, which I understand is dictated by their insurance. Not much to do about that.

However, there seems to be a growing number of smaller private events and plow days where things are more laid-back.

If I ask my 13 year old daughter if she'd rather pull a plow around the field with her Farmall, or sit on a golf cart and watch dad with his OilPull for the 500th time, I know which one she'll pick.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BMyrkle For This Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 09:37:30 AM
Registered

Being a beer drinker, homebrewer and hot dog eater, I like the idea about offering free beer and hot dogs. Never thought of beer containing the piss of lower life forms, but that is absolutely true.
Here's my suggestion... offer FREE TATTOOS.
Kevin in NC
PS. I'm 56 and spent 23 years in active and reserve Navy. Never wanted a tattoo then and don't want one now.
The Following User Says Thank You to bartlett0815 For This Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 09:54:25 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,025 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlett0815 View Post
Being a beer drinker, homebrewer and hot dog eater, I like the idea about offering free beer and hot dogs. Never thought of beer containing the piss of lower life forms, but that is absolutely true.
Here's my suggestion... offer FREE TATTOOS.
Kevin in NC
PS. I'm 56 and spent 23 years in active and reserve Navy. Never wanted a tattoo then and don't want one now.
I had to laugh at that one and think, how about piercings?
Anyway, we have a great gal that works hard putting up a hands on spot for little kids called "uncle Milts' shed". Hand crank corn shellers, small crafts, etc. That can sure take care of the underage folks, and also a pedal pull, lots of participants for that. Quilting demo was also there for a time, horses are always a good thing and then the FFA has a petting zoo and runs the gate.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:20:57 AM
Registered

JSWithers, Post 18 is very positive. At Baraboo show one year I met a man, maybe JSWithers, who had designed a simple tiny oscillating valve engine which youngsters were making and assembling. The engine could be run on low pressure air or steam. This was a real attraction to young folks.
A very helpful book (series) which helped me in the '40s & '50s is Alfred P Morgan's "The Boys' Book of ________&_______". The blanks being "Engines, Motors & Turbines" or "Electricity & Magnetism" or "Radio & Electricity". Those plus my folks help and other books on astronomical telescope making etc. Helped me and were the impetus toward my career. My first real project at age 15 was a 120 volt 60Hz generator by rewinding a Ford Model "T" generator. That electrified the farm, at least for a fan and radios. That plus the old farm led to my career which included 4 patents on motor and generator inventions. The books mentioned are sometimes available on ebay etc. but the title should also include "Girls'"
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 02:51:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,624 Posts

Quote:
Must be a hell of a view from up there on your high horse...
Smokstak member #442
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 03:37:37 PM
Registered

You're right! I lost a brother and his grandson to beer and a good friend is a paraplegic for life, thanks to beer. So, yes, Ron, it's a hell of a view even from down here on ground level. All were interested in the hobby and the paraplegic did participate very actively until it got so difficult that he couldn't any more.

I have one family with grandchildren actively participating in the hobby. One grandson got out the Ford "A" which had sat for 8 years and I smelled stale gasoline and within 30 minutes he was driving it. Then he changed the oil in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 01:06:08 AM
Registered

I've known some evenings (...mornings) to get messy on the booze, but how do you drink yourself paraplegic??
Old 06-14-2019, 06:33:11 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,234 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
JSWithers, Post 18 is very positive. At Baraboo show one year I met a man, maybe JSWithers, who had designed a simple tiny oscillating valve engine which youngsters were making and assembling. The engine could be run on low pressure air or steam. This was a real attraction to young folks.
A very helpful book (series) which helped me in the '40s & '50s is Alfred P Morgan's "The Boys' Book of ________&_______". The blanks being "Engines, Motors & Turbines" or "Electricity & Magnetism" or "Radio & Electricity". Those plus my folks help and other books on astronomical telescope making etc. Helped me and were the impetus toward my career. My first real project at age 15 was a 120 volt 60Hz generator by rewinding a Ford Model "T" generator. That electrified the farm, at least for a fan and radios. That plus the old farm led to my career which included 4 patents on motor and generator inventions. The books mentioned are sometimes available on ebay etc. but the title should also include "Girls'"
I believe the man you met at Baraboo was Jerry Swedberg. He was always encouraging young people to get involved in our hobby. Swed was a machine shop teacher in his younger days at a trades school in Wahpeton, ND. He always came up with various projects for his students to teach various skills. These projects were simple to complex but were usually a hot air engine or steam engine. He started a simple engine building class at Rollag for young people to make a small wobble steam engine. He taught this class at Rollag in the mornings at the show. The kids would end up with a simple operating steam engine they could take home. I believe he set this class up at Baraboo and maybe other shows. I have one so that I could say I had Swed as an instructor. (Swed was my 2nd dad).

Also, Rollag does a kids day with various hands on things for kids to do on a separate day from show time. Usually coincides with Steam School weekend which is this weekend. Both activities are generally Father's Day weekend. Rollag also has and is developing more kid friendly activities during the show. But for the larger kids it's still important to allow them to get up close and personal with our hobby under our watchful eye and tutelage.

One last point, I don't begrudge anyone a beer but alcohol and our hobby do not go well together. Our show doesn't allow alcohol consumption on the grounds during normal show hours. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen in the campgrounds but generally no one is operating equipment.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JSWithers For This Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 09:29:06 AM
Registered

Post 39 JSWithers; Yes, it was Jerry Swedberg and that teaching which he did really impressed me.

Post 38 mihit; My friend drank himself into a paraplegic future by driving from Illinois to Wisconsin in order to get and consume beer. The beer did what beer does and the sad result was intoxication resulting in an auto accident in which his back was broken.
My brother became alcoholic and a life of that addiction resulted in mental or brain damage and finally a stroke.
His grandson went to a bar with friends. One 'had enough' and left, driving away, wrecked his vehicle and called the grandson for help. The grandson's help resulted in his own electrocution from the downed wires as the vehicle had hit the pole. The other driver was already lying dead after he had called.
Here are four lives gone due to the mind altering effect of beer or other 'legal' alcohol. Don't get the young ones started. They may end up dead or killing someone else due to beer!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post: