Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Tractor Collecting and Young People

this thread has 107 replies and has been viewed 7204 times

Old 06-16-2019, 12:29:35 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Tractor Collecting and Young People

Now ya gone and done it. I get the alcohole issue. Some folks are better off without it.
Sooooo..... now that it is legal, why not show the cultivation and uses of hemp. Have a roll your own station, put it next to the Maytag displays since nobody likes their smoke anyways .
I guarantee you your food sales will increase greatly.

Kidding aside, you cannot please everyone and getting the attention of a population that has the world available 24 X 7 in its hands is a challenge. Some get bit by the iron bug, some by the silicon bug.
It takes resources to support this hobby, more than people realize. And when the last part you need is a dumaflatche burbinder gazinta that is made out of unobtainium and the only person on the planet that has it wants an obscene amount of $ for it .... it limits who can afford to play.
Storage and transportation are also factors that can limit participation for younger folks.
Is there a single solution, probably not. Just enjoy it while you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oilzum For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2019, 04:02:31 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilzum View Post
Have a roll your own station, put it next to the Maytag displays since nobody likes their smoke anyways .
I guarantee you your food sales will increase greatly.
lol!
I think you mean marajuana proper, not hemp. Hey, it's an idea that could bring in a few (and definitely get the food sales)... but I don't think you'd want them around flywheels and belt gear eh?
Old 06-18-2019, 11:58:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,184 Times in 1,341 Posts

I do not believe this hobby will die.
Is attendance down? Yes, it appears to be so. I have been in and out of this hobby as I juggle it with some others for many years. I feel this "hobby-hopping" may give me some different insight to share in hopes of helping some of the tractor crowd to understand part of what may be taking place.
I grew up buying, fixing, selling, bicycles, lawn mowers, mini-bikes, snowmobiles and eventually trucks and cars. I also fished and hunted. I did not have or ever touch a cell phone or computer until I was 45 years old.

This may actually sound like a familiar way of life to many of you...but not anymore! It is a different world now!

If a young person lived today as I did in my time, they may be subject to a disorder label and have psychological evaluation and medication pushed at them for being "different" or socially dysfunctional.

Our beloved tractor hobby has always been a smaller segment than automobile and some others. Changing demographics have have shrunken it even more in recent years. Smaller, numerous family farms are nearly gone and many of the young folks go to college and live in cities these days. Many 20-25 year old people have never applied for the privilege to drive. They are not going to. A car would be a major problem for them...parking, insurance, repairs...makes no sense when you live in an economy apartment with public transit every few blocks.
My generation dreamed every night of the day they may finally get their license. Many of us had logged many hours behind a steering wheel in our teens. Not as much these days...
Side note...my daughter struggles with boyfriends as potential mates because she expects them to fix things with tools and most of them can not
The big broad auto hobby has changed also and is shrinking as well. As a teen, I was a car nut and hands on hot-rodder who was always swapping a big cube V8 into an intermediate chassis and still enjoyed the old original items too. Many of today's rural or small town youth have no interest in old autos. The definition of old has moved all the way up into 1960+ now! The new electronic age kids are into "tuner cars" or resto-mods that can easily ingest large sections of interstate speedway.
Prices of pre-70s cars have dropped dramatically much like the common high production farm tractors have.
Another issue...
Plenty of senior collectors (auto, tractor, antiques) purchased and hoarded these items with extreme addictive behavior that resulted in large farm-site buildings that were completely filled with old iron. Many of you have seen what I am describing.
This obsessive behavior has unleashed a tidal-wave of estate clearances at a time when interest in the old stuff is down.
Simple math here...
World wide economic embarrassments...too much product...lack of interest...falling prices...all adds up to "hobby depression".
Invasion of the smart phone...
I will keep this one short and hope it does not turn into a "thread derailing" sore spot.
We have an entire generation (or two?) that is heavily dependent on their phone/tablet/computer. These all in one devices place people in a virtual world where they pass much of their free time consuming news, gossip, and games that feel so satisfying that they may lose sight of the real world.
I have not produced ideas here on bringing young folks into the hobby. My intention was to help people see some ideas on the causes of "hobby depression".
There are brilliant young people everywhere and not all of them fit previous descriptions.
This thread is based on what I have seen and learned in more than one hobby. I believe what I have stated, however, you are welcome to realize that this is just my opinion.
Lastly, no young people were injured or abused during the making of this post.
Good luck on your projects everyone!
Tony

Last edited by Tony Thompson; 06-18-2019 at 10:37:10 PM. Reason: Forgot to wish everyone well on their projects!
Old 06-18-2019, 12:30:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,849 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Thompson View Post
I do not believe this hobby will die.
Is attendance down? Yes, it appears to be so. I have been in and out of this hobby as I juggle it with some others for many years. I feel this "hobby-hopping" may give me some different insight to share in hopes of helping some of the tractor crowd to understand part of what may be taking place.
I grew up buying, fixing, selling, bicycles, lawn mowers, mini-bikes, snowmobiles and eventually trucks and cars. I also fished and hunted. I did not have or ever touch a cell phone or computer until I was 45 years old.

This may actually sound like a familiar way of life to many of you...but not anymore! It is a different world now!

If a young person lived today as I did in my time, they may be subject to a disorder label and have psychological evaluation and medication pushed at them for being "different" or socially dysfunctional.

Our beloved tractor hobby has always been a smaller segment than automobile and some others. Changing demographics have have shrunken it even more in recent years. Smaller, numerous family farms are nearly gone and many of the young folks go to college and live in cities these days. Many 20-25 year old people have never applied for the privilege to drive. They are not going to. A car would be a major problem for them...parking, insurance, repairs...makes no sense when you live in an economy apartment with public transit every few blocks.
My generation dreamed every night of the day they may finally get their license. Many of us had logged many hours behind a steering wheel in our teens. Not as much these days...
Side note...my daughter struggles with boyfriends as potential mates because she expects them to fix things with tools and most of them can not
The big broad auto hobby has changed also and is shrinking as well. As a teen, I was a car nut and hands on hot-rodder who was always swapping a big cube V8 into an intermediate chassis and still enjoyed the old original items too. Many of today's rural or small town youth have no interest in old autos. The definition of old has moved all the way up into 1960+ now! The new electronic age kids are into "tuner cars" or resto-mods that can easily ingest large sections of interstate speedway.
Prices of pre-70s cars have dropped dramatically much like the common high production farm tractors have.
Another issue...
Plenty of senior collectors (auto, tractor, antiques) purchased and hoarded these items with extreme addictive behavior that resulted in large farm-site buildings that were completely filled with old iron. Many of you have seen what I am describing.
This obsessive behavior has unleashed a tidal-wave of estate clearances at a time when interest in the old stuff is down.
Simple math here...
World wide economic embarrassments...too much product...lack of interest...falling prices...all adds up to "hobby depression".
Invasion of the smart phone...
I will keep this one short and hope it does not turn into a "thread derailing" sore spot.
We have an entire generation (or two?) that is heavily dependent on their phone/tablet/computer. These all in one devices place people in a virtual world where they pass much of their free time consuming news, gossip, and games that feel so satisfying that they may lose sight of the real world.
I have not produced ideas here on bringing young folks into the hobby. My intention was to help people see some ideas on the causes of "hobby depression".
There are brilliant young people everywhere and not all of them fit previous descriptions.
This thread is based on what I have seen and learned in more than one hobby. I believe what I have stated, however, you are welcome to realize that this is just my opinion.
Lastly, no young people were injured or abused during the making of this post.
Tony
Talk of putting miles on a car reminded me of when we cruised main street for hours, my Dad asked me one time how I could put on 100 miles in one evening and never leave the county.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 09:45:07 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,045 Times in 1,626 Posts

Thank you, Tony. Very good post, it raised the intelligence level of this thread by quite a few points...
Smokstak member #442
The Following User Says Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 10:10:04 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,354 Times in 7,411 Posts

We should never underestimate a person, including a young person. Young folks today are exposed to more information and knowledge than us old phartsters ever dreamed!
I know a fair number who are interested in the tractor hobby, but not with the all-in interest that some of us have. Building careers, marriages, homes, and families become more important considerations, as they should.
Some how, we have to meet them on their own terms. If that means social media, then so be it. I have introduced some to Stak, and they posted with enthusiasm at the start, but quickly moved on. I am not sure why?
People say, oh, they are all too busy these days. I don't buy that. When I was a boy, spare time meant working in the barn, hay field, granary, etc. Kids today can be busy, but our task is to get them to focus some time on the tractor hobby. But, as others have said, you can't force someone to come to the hobby.
Not sure what the answer is. Maybe it is a case of trying several simple things, as others have suggested here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 10:20:23 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,639 Times in 2,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
This has surely been discussed on here before, but I guess it is something that needs to be considered now and then.
I have been chatting with people about this a bit lately. Others are looking for ways to draw younger people into our hobby and to keep them here.
There have even been discussions about Stak and how to bring people back from alternate internet forums.
I know that our correspondent from Fillmore has had some discussions about this with his friends, so I won't steal his thunder about a few ideas that are easily done that he has of spreading the word outside our hobby groups.
In the US, you have 4H and FFA groups which have tractor restoration programs. Up here we do have 4H but it does not seem to be very active any more. We do not even have a Boy Scouts troop in the village any more.
There are some good young people involved in the hobby, but are there enough to maintain the hobby into the future?.
I do not have many suggestions other than for us olde buggers to be more accepting and allow the younger people to find their own level, even if they make some mistakes. I was looking at a railway preservation site and there are some serious issues right now with clubs and collections falling apart. A common denominator there is "cliquism" and older heads who will not cede control until the whole damned thing is caving in. We have seen that around here in some of the good old shows which have disappeared.
Anyway, looking for thoughts?
Thanx.
Hoarding stuff like you and many others do does not help either.If your not going to show it or use it anymore sell it or better yet donate it to some young person or new collector who is just starting out in the hobby.The biggest problem is younger folks simply cannot afford a tractor steel wheeled or even
a rubber tired one for that matter the only ones who are ahead in this hobby are the ones who are lucky enough to have stuff left to them if possibile....others just like to fight over who owns what and are only concerned with dollar value instead of collector and historical value

Do you want scrap or collector value in price when i write the check to buy your tractors?
Old 06-19-2019, 10:49:15 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by casertractor View Post
Hoarding stuff like you and many others do does not help either.If your not going to show it or use it anymore sell it or better yet donate it to some young person or new collector who is just starting out in the hobby.The biggest problem is younger folks simply cannot afford a tractor steel wheeled or even a rubber tired one for that matter the only ones who are ahead in this hobby are the ones who are lucky enough to have stuff left to them if possibile....others just like to fight over who owns what and are only concerned with dollar value instead of collector and historical value
Do you want scrap or collector value in price when i write the check to buy your tractors?
Hoarding would mean keeping the doors closed and putting a no trespassing sign at the gate. A young collector stopped by recently and we had a tractor running. He is into early stuff and is gathering up parts tractors and hoping to assemble something in the future. It can be done if one is determined enough. Hopefully I can help him with parts and contacts. I think he is in the hobby to stay.
I never had a big budget, but had to sell or trade some pretty good tractors to have others I wanted more. The one tractor consumed my retirement savings, but that was my choice, and I bit the bullet and got it done. Different strokes for different folks.
Most of the earlier collectors that I knew did much the same thing. They bought, sold, and traded their way along. No one gave them anything. They worked hard for what they had, mainly because they were all in to tractor collecting.
Other young people I know have saved up and bought tractors. They were not given anything.
My stuff is not for sale, barring some financial calamity. If there is anything you may want, you can buy it at the sale after I tip over. Save your loonies and toonies, and happy bidding!
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 11:37:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,639 Times in 2,336 Posts

Quote:
Hoarding would mean keeping the doors closed and putting a no trespassing sign at the gate. A young collector stopped by recently and we had a tractor running. He is into early stuff and is gathering up parts tractors and hoping to assemble something in the future. It can be done if one is determined enough. Hopefully I can help him with parts and contacts. I think he is in the hobby to stay.
I never had a big budget, but had to sell or trade some pretty good tractors to have others I wanted more. The one tractor consumed my retirement savings, but that was my choice, and I bit the bullet and got it done. Different strokes for different folks.
Most of the earlier collectors that I knew did much the same thing. They bought, sold, and traded their way along. No one gave them anything. They worked hard for what they had, mainly because they were all in to tractor collecting.
Other young people I know have saved up and bought tractors. They were not given anything.
My stuff is not for sale, barring some financial calamity. If there is anything you may want, you can buy it at the sale after I tip over. Save your loonies and toonies, and happy bidding!
So scrap value?

---------- Post added at 11:37:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52:22 AM ----------

Quote:

Those kind of guys are very few and far between today like finding a needle in a haystack but still their are not enough of them to secure this hobby for years to come and with attude like that in regards to buying everything you and other need to start thinking outside of the box with this hobby same with other types of hobbys if not your hobby wont be worth snot and wont live on past you and me and as for you tractors when they do sell you better hope a few heavy wallets show up at the sale because the young fellas and or new collectors wont be heavy hitting at the sale we are already seeing that at sales in regards to prices being so up and down for the same stuff week to week.Dont spend all my toonies and loonies in one place...since thats about all you will get for them by the time you do go to sell them...maybe a few of your fellow cheap asses in the hobby will show up at the sale and give you more for them i highly dought it...Good luck

Aloha
Old 06-19-2019, 01:55:28 PM
Sponsor

Attracting younger people spreads across many of the collecting/restoring hobbies.
In the rail preservation world, there are several operations in the USA closing or closed as we speak and the equipment being auctioned off - sadly, some scrapped.
In old cars, pickups, aviation, firearms, general antiques, the people I see buying or active are in mid to later adulthood.
In this part of the world, the most active farm families are more recently arrived from Europe. Our history is not their history. We learned that many years back when we were trying to save the former OAM and get financial help from the farm community.
One of our neighbours has 4 boys. When I did some ploughing last fall, they stopped in and watched my, um, "performance"! this spring, the oldest boy - maybe 12-13 years old - was out ploughing the corn field with an 8N Ford and doing a fantastic job. That is a good sign.
The Georgian Bay Steam & Antique Show at Cookstown, Ontario is a good example that there is still some youthful enthusiasm. The show had an excellent spread of older tractors last year and some younger - to me, at least - restorers at work.
What are the main hobbies of the under-30s set today? I really do not know? We should find out and see what we can do to coax them to our side.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 02:09:28 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,233 Times in 549 Posts

This thread has bounced around as much as any since I have been a member (alcohol to hoarders). I will be the devil's advocate. I like and have steel tractors because I, me, myself enjoy them. I never had children and never had any help from anyone more than ten (possibly five) years younger than me, yet have several tractors, with a couple in the "upper bucks" category. I didn't get my first collectable tractor until age 34. It was a rusted down Moline Universal 4 cyl. We still own and drive it periodically.
The wife and I were busy building careers and just sneaked in hobbies as we could. Any hobby gets money invested in it, usually with no thought of returns. (Try to sell a second hand radio controlled airplane) I just don't get the worry about having youngsters around. Though if a trustworthy teen, or older, showed interest, I'd be glad to help them. These guys need to have the "gearhead" bug before they get involved in anything mechanical. No recruiting is required. The bug really isn't contagious. Face it, in most cases, we are primarily a side show of old farts.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ed Bays For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 06:24:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,002 Times in 1,200 Posts

I guess like everything it will continue till it stops
The Following User Says Thank You to David Hoover For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 06:33:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,507 Times in 706 Posts

A side show of old farts.

I'm stealing that.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:08:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,849 Times in 941 Posts

Just because a group lessens in number does not mean it evaporates completely, facebook is chock full of younger guys dragging old tractors home and working on them. Cars still take more work and money to collect than old tractors. Our number may end up close to where we were in the 1950's, and then? Fewer shows may just mean bigger gates, suddenly interest grows again and then...……..
As long as farms and interest in history still exist our hobby will still exist. Just because model T Fords dropped in value did folks start scrapping them by the thousands? No, younger guys are now able to pick one up without robbing a bank, my son just bought two last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 08:37:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,250 Times in 409 Posts

Casetractor, I am not sure how you define “hoarding”, but I imagine that 99% of collectors are guilty of hoarding in some sense of the word. Everyone has at least one item or items that never make it out to shows or sadly never get restored for one reason or another.
I don’t think this detracts from young blood entering the hobby at all. In fact, if it wasn’t for these “hoarders” I wouldn’t have any of the steel wheel tractors in my collection. Nothing that I have purchased was ever recently on the show circuit. All of the tractors were moth balled in drive sheds, and for the most part forgotten about my many collectors. I was patient, saved my loonies and toonies as Rick said, and bought what I could when I could. I’ve done ok I think?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Blaney For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 09:04:09 PM
Subscriber

Keep your eye on Alberta and Sask auctions from here on. There’s lots of early stuff being sold that’s been in old collections for years. Buy what you can and keep it going as long as possible. The hobby started by guys and girls having fun, keep that mindset and enjoy the old stuff. As long as they have value, horders and profit mongers will be out there. Wait till they die or go broke and enjoy whatever antique you have. Share it if you want or keep it to yourself, have fun and enjoy your antique whatever. Some shows will prosper and some will flop, that’s life. Keep the early iron on the go.
The Following User Says Thank You to David Hoover For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 09:14:48 PM
Sponsor

The stuff is and will still be available. I know a lot of young folks who have worked hard to get through school and have landed very well paying jobs. They can dream of having a 30-60 Hart-Parr or Model E Rumely. It may not happen tomorrow, but a person can work toward that goal over time.
I listened to my great nephews talking recently. They were talking about a buddy spending over 100 grand for a new pickup! Hey, if that turns your crank, go for it. So the money, or the ability to borrow the money, is still out there.
I get back to the original question. How do we attract them to the tractor hobby?
Old 06-19-2019, 09:48:58 PM
Subscriber

Ask yourself what attracted you. Respect for your elders, being included at a young age, given memorable opportunities, there’s many parts to it. Go back 30 or 40 years ago in Ontario Rick, how many of those younger tractor guys turned out to be lifers. I think all the ones who where out to the shows then all ended up owning iron. We all had the same general mindset, looked up to many of the old guys, bitched about a few others but we stayed interested. We’v all had ups and downs with people in the hobby but the interest in the iron never weakened. I think if a couple dozen young people can be helped to discover antique machinery preservation then you’ll have a good start for the near future. Most shows only get a few real do’ers anyway. There must be some local near you that would like to help look after those tractors of yours. Who knows maybe one will buy one of them and keep them around long after your done. Start small and see what comes of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Hoover For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 10:21:11 PM
Sponsor

Good points David. I was in my late 20s when I got active in the hobby, so not really young. But there were some fine men like Bill Johnston, Alex Edgar, Jack Arthur, Wilfred Service, Stewart Calhoun, Bill Krumweide and others who treated me with respect. That counted for everything.
That is one key to encouraging new collectors - treat them with respect whatever their age.
Dennis Powers passed away not too long ago. He was another fine man, and I was honoured to have known him. I heard it said of Dennis that whether someone was telling him about an E Rumely or a Ford 8N, he had the time to listen and be interested.
I hate that this thread has gotten personal. It was started looking for ideas and discussion. I think we have more ground to cover on those lines.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 11:40:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,276 Times in 909 Posts

Rick, I still think it's a thread to be had. Civility sometimes disappears online and I wasn't prepared for it either.

I think we miss the biggest part in all this discussion: Does anyone have a 20 something to ask these questions to? As was often said, when thirsty you go to the well, right?

A small note: the new show grounds are pretty cool and have great potential. We took a city kid with us and stuck him in the pedal tractor pull with our son for the fun of it. We also got to watch the blacksmith shop put on a show, so I hope it got to him a little. Took em for ice cream at a small malt shop afterwards!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brasherman For This Post: