Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Awakening the 8 ton Lombard Dump Truck

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 891 times

Old 06-30-2019, 03:51:07 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 2,506 Times in 429 Posts
Photo Awakening the 8 ton Lombard Dump Truck

For some time now Paul and Herb and I have been plotting to get Paul's 1928 Lombard model "T" Lombard re-awoken and hopefully placed on loan to the Maine Forest & Logging museum for a while.

Lombard had worked from very early on to try to break out of its traditional market of supplying heavy tractors to the northeast timber industry. While machines such their 10 ton model NW (and earlier 20 ton steamers) were well suited to hauling long trains of sleds heavily laden with logs or pulpwood over iced roads their adaptability outside of that was more limited.

Thus in 1928 entered the Model "T" was just such an effort. The model "T" was aimed squarely at the construction and municipal markets - road construction and repair, heavy hauling and plowing.

While following the standard Lombard pattern it differed in a number of key features. The first of which was the use of boggie wheels rather than Lombard's traditional roller chain setup and using a four-cylinder Hercules YXC-2 in place of the massive Wisconsin engines used in the 10 ton models. The Model "T" also featured a dump body and overall smaller dimensions and a slightly different track design.

This particular machine was delivered to the Town of Gorham, Maine in 1928. Later, it was used by the Starbird Lumber Company. This is only one of two of the model "T" that has survived. Paul's family owns both.

Anyway, the job now is to bring this beast back to life after a long slumber. Yesterday Herb and Paul paid a visit to Clement's Starter & Alternator in Carmel, Maine. Reggie had rebuilt the magneto and generator adding a manual advance as part of the work.

Reggie's shop is one of those gems that is the salvation of lovers of old machines and a very enjoyable time warp. Here are two videos Herb shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zB-...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlSls-J7qsg

Once back at Paul's they worked to get the magneto installed and timed and the generator installed. We were hoping the beast would fire right-up but it wasn't to be. There is plenty of spark but... no fuel.

Next step (later this week) is a close look at the fuel system and carb, then... fingers crossed... it hopefully will come alive!

Attached is a photo of it in as-found condition and shortly after restoration.

Best regards,

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Automotive Industries Sept 29 1928 pg 87 Hercules Engine - Model T Lombard.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	338270   Click image for larger version

Name:	model t truck003.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	338271   Click image for larger version

Name:	1928 8-TON DUMP LOGO.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	338272  

Last edited by tharper; 06-30-2019 at 09:11:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2019, 04:47:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,771 Times in 1,867 Posts
Default Re: Awakening the 8 ton Lombard Dump Truck

Looks fantastic! Hard to imagine there are only two left. It's amazing what people will throw away.

Those three brush constant current generators were an abomination, but I applaud your keeping it original.

I grew tired of replacing the brake light bulb on my '31 Ford from forgetting to turn on the headlamps during the day, so I found a period correct voltage regulator that I will fit to the original generator to solve the problem without "modernizing" or using anything electronic.

Keith
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 06:49:00 PM
Registered-II

Photo Re: Awakening the 8 ton Lombard Dump Truck

Here is some vintage footage of a Lombard model "T" in action.

The film starts off showing it's much bigger brother the 15 ton CS88 or Contractor Special. These were big brutes topping out with the Model GT at 20 tons. While like many old films the frame rate is fast it should be noted that the Model "T" featured a 4-speed transmission. It also has four speeds in reverse! Cool stuff!

The model "T" appears at about 3:00 min.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=rktF__YEdf8

Attached is a photo of a model "T" setup for plowing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	LOMBARD PLOW 2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	338282  

Last edited by tharper; 06-30-2019 at 08:41:00 PM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 08:52:36 AM
Registered-II

Photo (IT'S ALIVE!!) Awakening the 8 ton Lombard Dump Truck

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Yesterday I made the long drive down to Paul's to see if we could awaken the beast. After a few backfires and one very, very impressive ball of flame (we had the firing order reversed) The beast came to life after sitting silent and dormant for the last 20 years.

After running it out into the sunlight we worked to adjust the timing and looked it all over for things to add to the "to-do-list" once its at the museum.

No, the board is not a Lombard hood ornament, the original cap filler cover went missing a long time ago and replacing it is on the list.

Its an interesting beast for sure and it really shares very little with its larger siblings - namely the 10 ton log haulers. The clutch is a standard off-the-shelf unit as opposed to Lombard's patented design and the transmission is mounted in-unit with the motor rather than being separate. The differential is a pinion drive and the track lags are a totally different design.

We didn't raise the bed since the thought of re-loading all the heavy logging sled parts in the back was not agreeable - so no photos of the hoist.

I apologize for the quality of the video....a photographer I am not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMXxymNBlt4
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0047.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	338614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	338615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058 (1).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	338616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0057.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	338617  

Last edited by tharper; 07-06-2019 at 03:45:11 PM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tharper For This Post: