Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Linn Truck ("Tracktor")...

this thread has 53 replies and has been viewed 17223 times

Old 03-11-2006, 12:56:01 AM
EMAIL NOT WORKING

Default Re: Linn Truck ("Tracktor")....

There is one at Rollag in nothwestern MN.I will try find a pic
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2006, 12:08:32 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kreiner
I know where there is one 10 miles from my house and the barn that is in is falling down around it.
I wish I was in your area.. I would try to rescue it. Carl
Old 04-11-2006, 08:07:27 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Hamilton
The Linn Tractor was made in Morris, NY located in Otsego Co. It is west of Oneonto. There is one located in Saratoga Co. that I saw pictures of this Fall. I had seen it many years ago and I tried to tell a collector from Oneida Co., NY where it was located, but since locating it again I can't find his name and address. He supposedly had a couple and was alway looking for more to rebuild or as a source of parts. I hope he gets back to me at upright@frontiernet.net. Dick in the sunny, but cold Finger Lake Region of NYS.
Your right about them being made in Morris,NY Dick. We were rebuilding the road that ran past the old factory, in the earyl 70's and there were 3 o4 of them in various states of disrepair still sitting there.
Smiley
Old 05-31-2006, 05:36:28 AM
Registered

I've tried to register before (at Joey Barne's suggestion)and just kept going in circles it seemed
Anyways, they built the entire Linn tractor in the factory here in Morris, NY, the drive lines components were purchased of course. They Used mostly Continental 40 hp 4 cyl. at first, then a few Stearns and Wisconsin before going to Waukesha 60 and 75 HP 4 cyl and then 6 cyl 100 hp, by 1930 or so a "Big Four" 100 hp Waukesha. Lipe clutch with Brown-Lipe transmissions (Cotta 3 speed transmissions in the first ones wore out quickly) and B-L-Chapin differentials. They built about 2500 between 1917 and 1952, in 1949, they had been liquidated and two former officials bought most of the assets to continue on an order basis and as service/parts until 1960. Then the former sales distributor next door,Gould & Bridges, a highway equipment Frink/Walter dealer asorbed the remainder and that is where the fellow who worked on teh road probably saw them.
Daryl Gushee of New Gloucester, ME was the second highest bidder at both Kruse Auctions where the Linns (Colfax, CA and Chet Krause's) went so high, he had the snowplow at the ATHS meet in Syracuse a few years ago. Mike Verkleir in Mayfield, NY had a Linn for sale but sold it to Rick Breton, a Lombard & Linn collector in Vassalboro, ME. One in South Otselic was sold a few years ago to Bob Balla of S. Acworth, NH, Gushee was there but when he went for something to eat the wandering auctioneer went right over to the Linn so he missed out
I know where there are two Linns probably within ten miles of South Plymouth, under collapsing barns, I'd like to see someone save them but in both cases the owner won't sell. There used to be a junkyard right in South Plymouth (Clemons?) that had some years ago, from Bundy Concrete or other places, a few of which ended up in Brookfield or New Berlin and since went to CT.
Ernest Leigh Portner, Rome, NY flowerpower282@juno.com has a restored 1927 4 cyl. like Kinzer, PA Rough & Tumble, that his father used logging years ago, a larger 6 cyl. yet to restore and a rare 1921 logger out of the Adirondacks in need (collecting parts yet), plus several power units, he supplied Kinzers with the engine they have after the other block froze.
They built a "C" or "Catruk"-series, supposed to be the answer for truck/tractor needs, the only complete one in existance found and restored by John Belfield of Melbourne, Australia, an ex-USN machine. They used smaller 6 cyl. Hercules (YXC3 478 gas or 474 DRXB diesel), Fuller transmissions, a 2-speed transfer case I have yet to get identified and Wisconsin differentials, front and rear. the transfer case ran the 2 speeds to the front axle, the rear differential ran the tracks. Behind this was a hydraulically lowered rear trailer axle which was not powered. I have one built in 1942 for Ticonderoga, NYthat was wrecked, returned, converted after WW2 to a YXC3 from diesel, and they experimented with other track designs, the rear trailer axle, hydraulics and front wheel drive removed. I just recently located a DRXB diesel that appears as a rebuilt on a c. 1950 factory inventory that was retrofitted into a Linn power unit. Linn used to rebuild engines and cut down tractors into factory built power units for sawmills, rock crushers, etc. and this one was built in 1923 with a 60 hp Waukesha EU as a tractor for the Town of Bovina, NY, similar in appearance to the restored 4 cyl. Charles Bilby of Richmondville, NY used to haul to shows. Until the "C" series, everything had been designed by H.H. Linn or staff at the Linn plant in Morris. The factory was run by waterpower/electric alone until 1928 when this part of NY got connected to the outside world, employed anywhere from 75 to 125 men on average, and turned out two machines a week but could turn out 3 or 4 times that working double shifts on special orders.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:03:58 AM
Registered

I'll try and reply to the other posts here. The Muskoka machine and Krause/Schaaf (I had corresponded with the man who restored it, Joe Kuester of Clintonville, WI probably 25 years ago when I was still in high school) are fairly rare 6-26-E models which were the first to become fairly popular in Canada and Joey Barnes is always searching them up, 100 hp 6AL or 6AB 677 displ. model Waukesha engines and longer frame, they could go almost a mile per gallon at 8 mph! ten ton payload capacity on the frame.
They later widened the frames a little and went to 6RB Waukesha, same size, in loggers such as that at the Adirondack Museum. The Oval Wood Dish Corp. of Tupper Lake had 3, replacing an older fleet bought c. 1922, # 2 is at the museum, # 1 was scrapped down near Speculator c. 1950, no one knows what became of #3 scuttlebutt has it she sank somewhere, as they ran on lakes and rivers here but not as much as in Canada.
Portner hopes to have his restored tractor at the Woodsmens Field Days in Tupper Lake this July, he has been to the Boonville, NY event with it twice.
The Campo, CA Linn I'm not sure if this is Ed Calvert's he picked up in Honesdale, PA or similar ex Sidney, NY Linn at Hays Museum, Woodland, CA, both4-35 model with "Big Four" 100 hp Waukesha H series (talk about gas hogs!).
Rollag. MN show was probably Bill Rudicill out of KY #2922, the last known Linn built, 2921 is the unit at the Fonda, NY fairgrounds they just restored and outpoulled everything at the modified truck/super tractor event a few years ago (although the front wheels did lift off the ground) built in July 1952.
Austin, MN show has a 1942 vintage (steel cabs came in as optional c. 1940) that people at Muskoka first told me of but Joey Barnes got me info. on. Then of course there is Bill Graham in Edmonton who has several, Bill kiss called me several times and I sent them literature/info on the one they restored for the HCEA meet.
I try and keep track of what tractors still exist, where they may be parts or compatable/exchange components, and as a real needle in a haystack, equipment like sled steerage, log sleighs or Frink or Sargent v-plows and wings.
If I didn't mention it before I live down the street from the factory and next door to the former Gould & Bridges, which went out of business in 1982, most of the factory building burnt the same year and I managed to save some paper from there as well. My Grandfather Elliott was once chauffeur for Linn and the secretary and used to deliver tractors, work in the shop etc. whenever he needed work until he became a bus and truck driver when things slowed down during the depression. Parts and pieces surface out of the ground, creekbed, garage sales and flea markets around here, I just picked up 3 steel drum type electric bulb headlights that had been through a fire a man salvaged from his father-inlaw's garage for $25. I worked for the snowplow parts/foundry company in the remains of the plant for a year or so and got to scrounge around even more, we worked on restoring the waterwheel at the time but when the dam went out a more recent owner decided to scrap the generator, switchboards and waterwheel (I heard about too late to save any of it)
Old 05-31-2006, 10:47:27 AM
Sponsor

There is a Linn in my late Father in laws yard.
It had a wooden cab and wood front wheels.
Not sure on the motor.
Will try get some pics and more info.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:29:00 PM
Registered

Thanks! Usually the serial number plates are gone off the dash, but you will find there is a number on the front crossmember of the frame, either above and just to right/driverside (3 o'clock) of the crank handle hole, or over on the passenger side above the drawhead, this is on the vertical surface. Engine data plate info helps, if all else fails general measurements, part numbers off the radiator and drive sprockets and their hangers can help me identify the model, plus if you know any of the background history that is good too. I have a fairly complete owner record up through 1936 and sketchy after that, sometimes I can at least narrow down the possibilities based on vintage/model and geographic locale. Mussens Ltd. of Montreal and HQs in most provincial capitals was the sole Canadian distributor, Canada has the largest surviving Linn population outside NY State, Australia has 3 plus the Belfield's C-5.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:24:14 PM
Sponsor

I will see what I can find.
The unit is pretty rough.
I don't think it has the original rad.
The cab is gone.
It sits at my wife's original home about 1/2 mile down the road.
Sadly it has not been too well cared for since since the father in law passed away. I came into the picture after had passed away and really can't do much with it.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:07:02 PM
Registered

I'll guess that this is a 6-26 model, look for the number of body risers, the castings which support the angle iron above the main frame in the payload area, they indicate payload length, also whether or not it has dump hinges on the rear corners of the frame or other evidence of a dump body, about this time they used a vertical hydraulic cylinder between cab and body with twin cable sheaves, and it always leaked fluid so there would be traces on the frame. You may need a wire brush to find the serial number, they were stamped with about 5/16" tall numbers. There were mining and logging tractors in Ontario but machines run over snow last longer than ones run in mines or quarries, and a number of contractor units that had dump bodies.
I know a man south of you, W. Earl Linn in Pt. Carling, 705-765-5936 tried to buy the 6-26-E Linn logging tractor Muskoka now has, but the engine club won out in the end, I havn't heard of or from him since so can only assume he is still alive.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:18:00 PM
Registered

This machine is a 4 cylinder 75 hp Waukesha GU engine, Brown-Lipe 4 speed overhead shift (they just changed from the sideshift model 60, these and their control quadrants, while used by other trucks are hard to find!) Linn model 25-D, 4 cubic yard water level dump box, hoist fully raised, this would have cost about $6,000 in 1926. They went to steel wheels with hard rubber for the 1928 models and pnuematic tires became available option in 1929. Basically the same as Rough & Tumble at Kinzers, and what Portner's logger began life as (Town of Glen, NY).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Linn-Dump-Truck01.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	9297  
Old 06-01-2006, 12:01:56 PM
Registered

I forgot to ad that I will look up a serial number for anyone that needs info on a tractor, and I can scan in and email technical stuff as needed, I don't charge anything just remember sometimes free advice is only worth what you paid for it my address is ferrology@yahoo.com
Attached pic of my C-series (C-5 originally now a C-6) Linn Catruk when I brought it home, somehow it never seems to make it to the top of the priority list but I keep a good tarp over the cab and have since put grey primer on it, now that i have the DRXB diesel I have to get that running, then stabilize and remove the cab so I can install it.
Unfinished projects are supposed to keep you from taking on more, right? I don't think I need to own all the tractors or parts out there, I just worry about preservation. I've seen people let something get scrapped, and were just happy that no other collectors got it, I don't see eye to eye with that sort of mentality There is always somebody somewhere who can use that part, for a pattern if nothing else.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	catrukwhenarrived (2).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	9313  
Old 06-03-2006, 01:55:33 PM
Registered

Quote:
There is always somebody somewhere who can use that part, for a pattern if nothing else.
Of course the flipside of that is some people say you can't save EVERYTHING, but I always figured there is no reason why we can't TRY What can't be saved I try to at least photoghraph and measure for pattern sake.

Having difficulty re-sizing pics right now, but below is part of Charles Bilby's fllet in Richmondville, starting with his restored 1924 model at left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bilbytractors (2).jpg
Views:	235
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	9354  

Last edited by Craig A; 06-03-2006 at 02:17:26 PM. Reason: tags
Old 06-09-2006, 04:58:43 AM
Registered

This one is at Moose Jaw, SK Western Development Museum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Linn Truck a x.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	9488  

Last edited by Craig A; 06-09-2006 at 03:36:55 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 06-09-2006, 09:54:56 PM
Registered

Thanks, Joey Barnes crawled all over this and got me some more info. It turns out this was a composite job, the hood and cab scavenged from the real #818 whose location remains a mystery. Barnes suggested the original cab and hood for this machine could have been damaged by going through the lake or river ice, as they did this fairly often, (once would be enough for me) and you have to give credit to the men who could sit up the rigging and fish them back out.
a site I ran across that might be of Canadian Linn logging intrest is www.canadianfishing.com/sultan/wakami.html with photos of a 1922 4 cyl and later 6 cyl. Linn.
Below is a 1930 Linn working on our Morris-New Berlin county Rd
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mnbhwy1930 (2).jpg
Views:	200
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	9498  
Old 06-10-2006, 09:20:17 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,722 Times in 1,215 Posts

I have an update on the Linn at Rough and Tumble. When we had the Linn in the tractor pull the clutch siezed up and would not come out of gear so over the winter I took the clutch appart and completely degreased everything and got it freed up. Now the clutch works like new. Also we found the hydraulic pump for the hiost and one of these days we will put it back on and get the dump working again.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:34:08 PM
Registered

That is good to hear, was it a single plate or multiple disc type? They used two diffrent W.C. Lipe clutches about this time. That is what is hanging Daryl Gushee up on getting the gradall Linn he bought off Ebay a few years ago from running. That Linn was originally owned by the Town of Franklin, NY and was found by Warner Swasey/Gradall in a junkyard in the 1970's, and we didn't realize it until he was hauling it home and stopped here in NY, we were looking the machine over and found it had been cut in half behind the cab and welded back together. The first Gradall units built were mounted on used Linns like this but the originals were gone when they restored this early Gradall. The last C5 built was for Gradall with hopes it would become popular for a carrier but at that point you could get a new army surplus truck for $500. When the Linn was "restored" at the Warner Swasey plant someone took out all the internal parts of the tractor Waukesha GU engine and clutch, despite it's advertising on Ebay as "fully restored" when the Crawford Museum, (to which Gradall had just recently donated it), decided to liquidate a good part of their collection.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	linntrack.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	9527  
Old 09-16-2006, 12:02:33 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,158 Times in 510 Posts

Hi Guys

Here is a photo of the Linn truck in Rollag. Sorry I don't have any further infromation....I just snapped a quick photo.

Kelly T
Old 12-09-2006, 12:17:05 PM
Registered

Looking For Steve Kreiner of South Plymouth NY. Was Wondering if he knew if the Linn truck that was 10 miles from him was still there. i am looking for one to aquire.

Mark Wengert
Burlington Flats, NY
Old 12-09-2006, 01:21:30 PM
Subscriber

Mark as far as I know it's still there and still will not sell.
Old 12-09-2006, 01:46:37 PM
Registered

Thanked 4,158 Times in 510 Posts

Just in case you fellas don't check in on the King of Obsolete he just posted a link to a newsletter that had an article of some Linn trucks being pulled from the lakes after they went through the ice. Here is the link http://northroots.ca/stories17/ice.html

Kelly T