Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Linn Truck ("Tracktor")...

this thread has 53 replies and has been viewed 17019 times

Old 12-09-2006, 08:02:20 PM
Registered

Default Re: Linn Truck ("Tracktor")....

would love to see this machine anyways if you don't mind telling where it is. If you would email me an address, if nothing more i love taking pictures of these units for my scrap book. Mwengert1@hotmail.com
thanks steve
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2006, 03:05:17 PM
eMail NOT Working

I have a flyer from the LINN-FRINK SNO-PLOWS, sole distibutor Linn Mfg. Corp, Morris N.Y. Shows a Linn truck with solid tires in front with a large V snow plow and wings on each side. With wings fully opened, would clear "18 TO 22 feet". It took another man behind the cab to raise and lower the V plow and to set the wing plows. Very impressive. Not dated.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:16:14 PM
Registered

I found two Linns at the Vintage Tracks Museum just west of Canandaigua NY on Rt 20. They were under a small roof that you had to access from a gun shop in front of the museum. Jeff Huff is the owner. They were both in the twenties with wood cabs. One had a dump body and the other a log rack. here is the address and web site
Jeff & Eileen Huff, Proprietors
Vintage Tracks Museum
3170 Wheeler Station Road
Bloomfield, NY 14469
(585) 657-6608
http://huffequipment.com/vintage.htm
Old 07-23-2008, 11:31:29 PM
Registered-III

Schaaf's Linn has since gone to the guy he outbid on it at Krause's auction, Daryl Gushee of Maine.
Wengert is/was town historian in Burlington, NY where my great uncle was last to maintain and use the Linn for plowing snow, his successor (he got disgusted with the politics and quit) used the wing to grade the shoulder/ditches and sold it for scrap although there was a rumour it went out west, and it may be one of many used Linns that were sold in the 1950's and 1960's to Anchor Stone Material Co. of Tulsa, OK. Havn't heard from Wengert lately, a John Deere fanatic last I knew.
I havn't heard of any progress on King of Obsolete's "Linn fishing" up in Canada. But I am tickled by how novel they make the "ice road trucking" sound on TV, it's not like they were following a compass bearing hundreds of miles from Flin Flon up river and Hudson Bay ice with just a snowplow on the lead tractor.
Speaking of fishing for Linns, Oval Wood Dish Corp. had two batches of three Linns, of the second batch, we know # 1 was junked near Specualtor, NY c. 1962. # 2 was donated from the OWD shop to the Adirondack Museum, Blue Mountain Lake, when it opened in 1956. The third has no known photos or records, it's believed it was being used to haul hardwood logs over lake ice and went through, but never been able to learn more about it. A similar event happened further south towards Utica on Grey Reservoir but that Linn was raised and later junked over on the Hurricane Rd., it's engine repowered a crane over in Poland, NY that I we were just a year or so late running down as it was junked when the yard was cleared.
(Pic courtesy King of Obsolete)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brokeThrough.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	36401  
Old 07-23-2008, 11:43:48 PM
Registered-III

Oh and Huff's Linns came from Wendel Still's yard on rt. 26 in Ava, NY, one being the ex-Town of Morris Linn which was traded in on Frink equipment to Gould & Bridges in 1969, Still used to take that one to shows and use it around his mill and own woodlot.
The other and more unusual Linn tractor Huff has is the last known 20 ton model, purchased from PA Power & Light (one of 2 20-tonners and numerous more standard model Linns they owned) and restored by the late Grover Swank of Marion, NY. they built one of these for logging, and it ended up on a LaCroix/Madawaska operation for the big mill at Arnold's Lake, Maine, supposedly used as late as 1956 or so.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:04:37 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 2,490 Times in 428 Posts

Quote:
LaCroix/Madawaska operation for the big mill at Arnold's Lake, Maine, supposedly used as late as 1956 or so.
Rene,

Iam not familiar with that Lacroix operation. Do you have any more information?

Best regards,

Terry
Old 07-24-2008, 01:36:08 PM
Registered-III

Sorry, Arnold's POND (always confuse it with the "lake" here), the mill itself was the usual setup on the water with the conveyor to take the logs up into what was one of the larger mills in the state at the time c. 1939. But the Linn was used on operations upstream.
Somewhere I ran across a claim the last Linn was used on a Great Northern Paper job in the winter of 1957-58 on "Aroostook Lake", I was thinking Arnold's Pond was up Aroostook way.
Attached image shows Madawaska unit at lower left, with adjustable length pole trailer built by the independent Linn Trailer Co. of Oneonta, NY, Ford & Smiley Co. of Skowhegan reprensenting both Linn tractors and trailers in Maine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	37loggers (2).jpg
Views:	139
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	36412  
Old 07-24-2008, 02:49:25 PM
Registered-II

Thanks Rene,

Yes Arnold Pond in Coburn Gore makes sense. Let me look through the files and see what I have.

Best regards,

Terry
The Following User Says Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 07-24-2008, 06:23:54 PM
Registered-II

Rene,

Lacroix (Madawaska Co.) had a contract for the Newport Veneer Limited, Newport Vermont. Arnold Pond, Coburn Gore, ME. around 1934. I have no other data.

The date may explain why he was using a Linn rather than a Lombard.

Sure would have been nice if that Linn had survived.

Best regards,

Terry
The Following User Says Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 07-25-2008, 12:54:45 AM
Registered-III

Thanks. Meant to say upper right photo also Madawaska, that's out of a 1937 era catalog, as is this attachment. I know I had found Arnold's Pond on the map before but when looking at a recent map didn't have any luck and I couldn't think of Coburn Gore until you mentioned it. Factory records for Linn get sketchy about this time so other than what I have pieced together from the local sales agency and other records no complete ownership/serial number records exist beyond 1936, so I can't say for certain how many of this model were built, or how many were used for logging in Maine. I have made a serious hobby out of tracking down machines that survive at least in part, such as power units, or even just as salvaged serial number plates.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	madawaska (3).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	36444  
Old 07-25-2008, 01:42:26 AM
Registered-III

There's one near me, it's at Laidley Historical Village.
I'll post the photos my grandson took of it when we had a rally over there, It was tucked into a little shed so the pics are not great.
BK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DCP_0433Linn.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	36445   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0435Linn.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	36446   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0436Linn.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	36447  
The Following User Says Thank You to B. K. Lahey For This Post:
Old 07-25-2008, 01:52:08 AM
Registered-III

Photo Re: Linn Truck ("Tracktor")....

Smee agin, I thought I had another one some where, as soon as I posted the last ones I found it, came from the archives, truck worked here in Queensland, musta been a drought on, driver looks grubby.
BK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Linn.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	36448  
The Following User Says Thank You to B. K. Lahey For This Post:
Old 07-25-2008, 02:14:32 PM
Registered-III

Thanks. Laidley has one of three standard Linns, I believe all were originally loggers, that still exist in Australia, 2 are the 6-28 models, like Laidley's, and one is a 6-26 (narrower frame). They shipped over about a dozen after Linn merged with Republic Truck Co. of Alma, MI (1927 - which was claimed to have the largest worldwide distribution network at the time, then Republic merged with American-LaFrance in 1929, and was gutted and sold off to Sterling in 1932, keeping Linn for it's asset value), and H.H. Linn's brother Ellery went over as a special factory represenative/demonstrator/salesman. The fourth known surviving Linn is John Belfield's US Navy C-5 Catruk, one of 25 shipped c. 1944, so hopefully more exist somewhere out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rene Elliott For This Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 08:04:54 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. K. Lahey View Post
driver looks grubby.
BK
Indeed he does. Probably didn't know he'll be part of history.