Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers and pumps.

Farm Antiques and Collectibles

Quaker City Grinder Parts wanted

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 3044 times

Old 07-12-2008, 08:55:03 PM
Registered-III

Default Quaker City Grinder Parts wanted

Hey guys. Does anybody out there have a Quaker City grinder? I have a model A10 which is missing the slide gate that controls the flow of corn from the lower hopper into the grinding plates. I know that my chances of finding someone with parts is slim to none so i'm asking for images of what this part looks like so I can try and fabricate one. Even if it isn't an A10, I just need images of something to go by. Thanks!

Jeb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeff4.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	35940   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeff1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	35941  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2008, 08:41:43 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Quaker City Grinder Parts wanted

Okay, I got an original "regulating dam" from a guy in SC on loan. Only one problem. He has a model D10 (or E13) grinder rather than an A10 grinder. His is the larger one that has 4 grinding plates (2 sets) and mine only has one. Apparently the hoppers were slightly different on the two and his piece can not be used on my grinder. So i'm still looking for someone that has an A10 grinder that can send me a picture of what the inside of the lower hopper looks like. Anybody out there who can help! Please?!

Jeb
Old 07-30-2008, 10:59:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,668 Times in 1,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebaroni View Post
Hey guys. Does anybody out there have a Quaker City grinder? ............

Thanks!

Jeb
I used to have one similar to that one, although the steps and fire extinguisher look familiar.........

Jeff Smith
Old 08-01-2008, 07:05:11 PM
Registered-III

Well, i'm making progress. After about a week and a half of messing around, I have finally completed the new replacement hopper for the QC grinder. As best I can figure, the original hopper (which I have and you can see in the above pictures) was about 28 gauge and just seemed unusually thin and flimsy. It was also heavily rusted but you couldn't sandblast it due to it being so thin.

I made the replacement out of a 24" x 36" sheet of 26 gauge galvanised steel from Lowes for about $7. I had to buy a bead roller ($80 at harbour freight) and modify one of the dies to roll the edge about 90 degrees. I then purchased some 4 guage solid copper ground wire (like is used on telephone poles) from the electrical store for about $5. I had some 3/16" soft iron rivets from an earlier project. A little time, sweat, and lots of hammering and I have a pretty good looking hopper!

FYI, I tried to get some local places to make the hopper for me initially but apparently nobody has the technology any more to roll an edge bead like this any more. I was quoted around $400 from one place, and another said they estimated about $90 to make a funnel and weld a 1/4" round rod around the top. I know that would have looked like crap and I wanted unpainted galvanised metal. Like they say, sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself! It's been a fun project and I can't wait until I can start putting it back together again!

Jeb
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	43630008.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	36890   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Hopper1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	36891   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Hopper4.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	36892  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jebaroni For This Post:
Old 10-13-2008, 04:41:06 PM
Registered-III

I think I may have the same grinder as you. Do you still need a picture of the slide gate, or the dimensions?
Old 10-13-2008, 06:27:26 PM
Registered-III

Yes, please! Pictures would be great. Dimensions, even better. Thanks!

Jeb
Old 10-14-2008, 12:36:41 AM
Registered-II

Nice acquisition Jeb, and I might add you are certainly a good craftsman!! Beauty Job! You are a handy guy to have around for sure...lets hope your wife feels the same way....lol...
Bill
Old 10-14-2008, 06:42:14 AM
Registered-III

Thanks for the kind words. Don't have to worry about that...no wife! Not for lack of trying though. I'm a young guy and i'm sure someone will turn up eventually. Until then, I collect these "toys" to keep me busy and otherwise occupied. The cats don't seem to mind one bit. If I ever do find a little lady, i sure hope she likes grits!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:21:34 PM
Registered-II

Hmmm, brings to mind the old saying...."You'll know you're an engine nut when your wife asks you to remove those pieces of iron from the bathtub!"
Enjoy your batchelorhood while you can....one of these days you'll meet the right one....although, cats are good too....lol....
bill
Old 10-14-2008, 01:08:32 PM
Registered-III

I restored my maytag (first engine I ever owned) by hanging the parts from plant hooks on the front porch and degreasing the cylinder in the kitchen sink. Bachelorhood is not without its benefits, that's for sure! Right now i'm working on getting a house so i'll have room for more and/or bigger toys. Afte all, this is the logical progression of rustitis.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:15:16 PM
Registered-I

Jeb, I have a Quaker City like your. It is missing all of the upper hooper. Can you send me some pictures of yours. So as I mite be able to build these missing parts? Measurement would be nice too.
Thanks
Dan
Old 10-18-2008, 06:06:12 PM
Registered-III

Well, I just wanted to update the thread. I got some information from another Staker that has the same grinder as mine with the part that mine is missing. He sent me some pictures of it and soon, a tracing of the part will arrive in the mail for me to replicate it. Just thought i'd upload the picture for future reference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gate1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	41818  
Old 10-18-2008, 09:58:16 PM
Registered-III

Jeb, first thanks for the help on id'ing my Stover mill. It is almost done an we will post pictures in the near future. Super nice job on the tin work. I have a complete set of Pexto beaders, plates, brakes you name it. They come in handy some times. Where were you when I got rid of my first son in law????

We also recently picked up a near mint 8" IH mill with all the plates. Any one have a copy of the manual; more than happy to pay for the copies and postage.

Mike
Old 10-19-2008, 08:13:15 AM
Registered-III

Hey Mike;

Not a problem. In case you haven't figured it out already, I kinda like grinders and shellers. I have owners manuals for all of the different IHC grinders as well as the Master parts catalogue. Same for the shellers (steel ones, anyway). If you will give me your mailing address, i'll just save everything to a CD and mail it to you. I have about 100 images of various IHC grinders, scanned pages from booklets/manuals, old B&W pictures from the Wisconsin Historical Society archives, and on and on.

The neatest thing is that I just recently got some images from a guy that has the oldest version of an 8" Type B grinder that i've ever seen. The thrust bearing adjustment handles/knobs are all in the CENTER (lined up with the shaft) rather than off to the side like 99% of the other ones i've seen. That was cool to see! Anyway, i'll go ahead and email you the scanned manual pages for now but i'll snail mail you a CD when I get your info. Take care!

Jeb
Old 05-19-2019, 06:44:18 AM
Registered

I have a slide gate,may be able to cast one for you 828-390-9681 Greg Deal