Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Farm Tractors
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Farm Tractors Vintage farm tractors on rubber tires with various implements. Ford, John Deere, Oliver, McCormick and more.

Antique Farm Tractors

Anyone Know About John Deere 2010 Diesel Injection Pumps

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 23583 times

Old 12-10-2008, 05:51:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,131 Times in 168 Posts
Default Anyone Know About John Deere 2010 Diesel Injection Pumps

This is off a john deere 2010 diesel i need to know the fitting with the red cap on the far left where does it hook to ,,is it fuel or oil line ??? I know the one on top is fuel in from the tank,,

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pump1.jpg
Views:	1019
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	44782  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2008, 06:16:25 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Anyone know about thes injection pumps john deere 2010 diesel

It is the return line to the tank. The other one is your supply line from the tank through the filters and then to the pump. There is no oil in a Roosa Master pump.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:40:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,131 Times in 168 Posts

thats what i kinda though,,the engine was apart when i got it,, but any way im geting fuel in the oil when running it. pumps about a gallon of fuel in about 40 mins into the oil,,there is no fuel pump gravity feed from the tank,,,, any ideas???
Old 12-10-2008, 09:01:43 PM
Registered-II

That line needs to be hooked up it regulates the fuel pressure against the main seals in the front of the pump. Running with that off WILL pump fuel right into crankcase. The pumps can also do things inside that will blow the seals.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:50:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,107 Times in 458 Posts

There are two lip seals on the pump shaft that seal fuel in the pump and oil in the engine. They need to be replaced.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:00:46 AM
Registered-III

I don't know about a 2010 but the larger 10 series Deere tractors also have a mechanical fule pump run off the cam to push the fuel through the filters and to the injection pump. If the diaphram in that pump leaks the pan will fill rather quickly.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:52:59 AM

Thanked 16,613 Times in 7,716 Posts

I agree with turbo. Seals on the shaft will dump fuel into the oil. Not hard to change but can be fun to install sometimes.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:45:57 PM
Subscriber

When you replace the pump drive seals check the bushing where the seals ride inside the pump, this bushing most times needs to be replaced also. Tie the throttle linkage wide open position before pulling the shaft. This will keep the governor from coming apart inside with the shaft out. Also the shaft will go in two different ways, only one is right. The shaft is marked with a dot on the inside end and the inside of the pump is also marked with a dot.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:16:23 PM
Registered

Default Re: Anyone know about John Deere 2010 Diesel injection pumps

Hi Ron I have the same pump on a JD 2010 and have gone through the same problems. smoking, fuel in oil, stalling ect ect. Took tyhe pump in and had it rebuilt, apparently the rubber seals and diaphrams had all disintigrated due to sitting for a couple of years. The company that rebuilt it removed a small hose and conections on the other side of the pump as shown in your picture, they tell me JD TELLS THEM IT IS NOT NEEDED. I think it ran from the top half to the bottom half my tractor still smokes black and shuts off after 20-30 seconds Now i am wondering if this line they removed controls the govenor? Does your pump have a small rubber hose on the opposite side of the picture?? Does anyone know what purpose it served. I ma having a hard time getting that answered even at the JD dealership Help NIco
Old 12-31-2008, 07:07:11 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico View Post
Hi Ron I have the same pump on a JD 2010 and have gone through the same problems. smoking, fuel in oil, stalling ect ect. Took tyhe pump in and had it rebuilt, apparently the rubber seals and diaphrams had all disintigrated due to sitting for a couple of years. The company that rebuilt it removed a small hose and conections on the other side of the pump as shown in your picture, they tell me JD TELLS THEM IT IS NOT NEEDED. I think it ran from the top half to the bottom half my tractor still smokes black and shuts off after 20-30 seconds Now i am wondering if this line they removed controls the govenor? Does your pump have a small rubber hose on the opposite side of the picture?? Does anyone know what purpose it served. I ma having a hard time getting that answered even at the JD dealership Help NIco

That rubber hose used to be connected to the old-style housing pressure-regulating valve. I assume they got rid of it and installed the new style. The old style attached to the little timing-window recangle-hole on the side of the pump and was held on by two small screws - and a rubber hose was run from it. The newer-style combo check-valve/regulator is a one-piece unit that screws into the return-fuel fitting on the top-cover of the pump. Using one or the other has no effect on how it runs.

Keep in mind that the 1010 and 2010 series were the first Deere engines to use the Roosamaster/Stanadyne rotary pumps, so the early ones were a little crude and updated by "trail and error."
Old 12-31-2008, 07:31:46 PM

Thanked 20,725 Times in 5,996 Posts

My dad found out the hard way with the Roosamaster pump in his 1987 Oldsmobile with the diesel engine that the pump seals were NOT immune to alcohol.......
The ENGINE never gave any trouble but after using some HEET in the fuel......well.....THEN he found that information in the owners manual.......
Old 01-04-2009, 03:20:50 AM
Registered

Thanks John I believe that may be the problem I am not sure they replaced it with anything Now at least i can go back to the company that rebuilt the pump and question them. Thanks again Nico
Old 01-04-2009, 04:05:16 PM
Registered-III

Now i am wondering if this line they removed controls the govenor? Does your pump have a small rubber hose on the opposite side of the picture?? Does anyone know what purpose it served. I ma having a hard time getting that answered even at the JD dealership Help NIco[/QUOTE]

The small hose with it's special fittings was called a "filter saver" and was developed by Roosa Master engineers. The idea was that if you sent most of the return fuel (already filtered) back to the pump inlet this would lessen the flow throught the fuel filter and extend it's life. Two problems with this..., this increased the pump's operating temperature and second.., owners now thought that they never had to change the fuel filter. Anyhow this idea was canned, these things were removed and all the return fuel was sent back to the tank.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:21:19 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Thanks John I believe that may be the problem I am not sure they replaced it with anything Now at least i can go back to the company that rebuilt the pump and question them. Thanks again Nico
I'm trying to attach two images of the older vent-hose assembly. When it got eliminated, a fitting with a vent wire was intalled up into the top-cover of the pump - and later yet - a one-piece fitting was used a small spring and ball instead of a vent-wire. All served the purpose of maintaining a small amount of internal housing pressure -no matter where the exiting fuel was routed to. But, the latest one-piece spring and ball also serves as a one-way fuel check valve to help eliminate overnight fuel drain-back. Not an isssue though with a 2010 and an overhead, gravity feed fuel tank.

In regard to the old style system having customers thinking filter changes weren't needed as much. I kind of doubt that. I first went to work as a Deere mechanic in the late 1960s and did so up to the early 1990s. I've never met a customer, and very few mechanics that knew hardly anything about that pump or changes. Most customers changed their filters when their machines died - and not a minute before. Where I live - filters tended to get frozen with ice-blocks before they got plugged with dirt.

Stanadyne/Roosmaster did make several fuel filtering systems and some got them in trouble. Biggest mistake I know of was with the early Oldsmobile 350 diesels. The first system let too much water pass. Stanadyne did this to prevent filter freeze up in the winter. I guess it DID prevent freeze-up - but wound up with trashed pumps instead.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_3517.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	46188   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3513.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	46189  
Old 01-05-2009, 11:37:04 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Took tyhe pump in and had it rebuilt, apparently the rubber seals and diaphrams had all disintigrated due to sitting for a couple of years.

I ma having a hard time getting that answered even at the JD dealership Help NIco

Just a few afterthoughts about what you said. The plastic (pellathane) weight-retainer ring will fall apart overtime - regardless if the machine sits most of the time, or is used all day, every day. Stanadyne finally eliminated it completely in 1985. Same setup was used on Chevy and Ford pickup trucks.
When a pump off a highway vehicle is repaired, the part is eliminated automatically. But, when a tractor pump is repaired it usually is NOT eliminated unless you request it. It adds about $40 to the repair cost. Called and "EID" ring (elastomer insert drive).

All the early Deere shops I worked at had their own injection pump shops, in house. All the tools along with a test stand.
We'd fix a pump in a hour (on the bench), often charge less then $100, and everybody was happy. Now? Just about all get sent out with a very high price-tag attached. Most pumps can be fixed properly with less then $50 in new parts.

Good luck to find anyone at a Deere dealership that knows anything useful about older machines. I have trouble just buying parts from our Deere dealer -even when I walk in and hand them the proper part #s.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:43:40 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,045 Times in 1,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Marrais View Post

Good luck to find anyone at a Deere dealership that knows anything useful about older machines. I have trouble just buying parts from our Deere dealer -even when I walk in and hand them the proper part #s.
I know what you mean, John. I guess I'm lucky, I have all the old parts books, & there is still one ol' parts guy at the store here that was around back in the day. If there's a part anywhere in the system, he can usually find it. I shudder to think what will happen when he quits...
BTW, I saw one of the old Bacharach JD stands on ebay not long ago, brought back memories. It even had the cambox for running 2-cyl. pumps...

Just had another thought relating to the actual thread...those older 2010 pumps had the load advance, you almost always had to set them on the engine, every one was different, & really touchy to get them set...wouldn't run right just set on the stand....

Last edited by ronm; 01-05-2009 at 11:48:20 AM. Reason: add
Old 01-05-2009, 11:58:27 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm View Post
...those older 2010 pumps had the load advance, you almost always had to set them on the engine, every one was different, & really touchy to get them set...wouldn't run right just set on the stand....
Yes, it still causes a lot of confusion when it comes to proper initial timing and proper timing advance. Especially with the 3010 series. It can get very confusing trying to figure what is the correct way to install a pump using flywheel timing marks.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:11:46 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Marrais
the latest one-piece spring and ball also serves as a one-way fuel check valve to help eliminate overnight fuel drain-back. Not an isssue though with a 2010 and an overhead, gravity feed fuel tank.
In regard to the old style system having customers thinking filter changes weren't needed as much. I kind of doubt that.

The later one piece spring and ball return fitting is for maintaining a slight pressure in the pump housing and is mistakinly often called a check valve. However, it is not, look closely at one (Stanadyne part no. 15830) and you will see a tiny notch in the edge of the hole that the glass ball seats against. You can gently blow air through it in both directions. This notch allowed air to quickly leave the pump while priming the fuel system.
As far as the "filter saver" feature of the earlier fittings and hose by-pass set up. I was told this by a retired gentleman who was the head of the service department at the Roosa Master (Stanadyne) factory in Windsor CT for many years.

Mark
Old 01-06-2009, 01:14:47 PM
Registered-II

Default No mistake here that I know of

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool53 View Post
The later one piece spring and ball return fitting is for maintaining a slight pressure in the pump housing and is mistakinly often called a check valve.
No, no mistaken language here. The use of a check valve to prevent fuel drainback in the rotary diesel pump system was mentioned in most of the patented inventions that led up to the Roosamaster pump. That's before it exisited and while it exists.

Stanadyne, General Motors, Ford, International Harvester, Allis Chalmers, John Deere, and probably others have all used that terminology.

As far as John Deere goes - the first rotary Roosamaster pumps ever used by Deere were in the 1960 1010s and 2010s. The pumps went though many changes after. From DB series, to C series, to JDB series, etc. Along the way, some pumps used vent-wires for fuel to pass out of the pump, along with housing-pressure reguator assemblies, ball-valve fuel return to inlet assemblies, etc. Sometimes the systems were separate and sometimes unitized.

In the early 80s, Deere was having fuel drain-back problems with certain diesel tractors that did not have gravity feed fuel tanks like the 1010s and 2010s did. These problems happened with both the CAV and the Stanadyne rotary pumps. One fix was to install an updated fuel outlet valve with an improved spring and ball design, that did indeed prevent fuel drainback. A few years later, General Motors issued service bulletins for the problem and fix for the DB2 pumps use in Chevy and GMC 6.2 diesels. The United States Army also issued service bulletins for the same problem and fix. All used the term "check valve" instead of the often used Stanadyne term of "housing pressure regulator." All depends on context I guess. One part can be called many things depending on what the focus is on at that time.

John Deere still calls it a "check valve", part # R36535.
GM calls is a "ball check regulator valve" part #10149645

I've got piles of service bulletins and patents that relate to this, but I'm not going to post them all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	checkvalve deere parts.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	46228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Deere check valve.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	46229   Click image for larger version

Name:	coldstart bulleting complete.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	46230  
Old 07-25-2012, 03:54:03 AM
Registered

Hi,

Nice to see this thread

I'm trying to service a DBGVC429-2DH pump off my brothers JD 2010 ... I've gotten to the stage where I want to separate the head from the housing ... but it doesn't budge.

I can see some slight corrosion in the body ... but according to the service manual I should be able to grip the head with two hands and rotate it as I pull it out ...

Does anyone know of any tricks?

I have tried tapping the housing with a small hammer ... but still no dice. The housing is die cast, and I'm concerned that a thin-walled piece is going to break off.

Is it worth putting the pump in the deep freeze or something?

Thanks