Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Scrap Metal
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Scrap Metal Making Use of Scrap or Turning it into Cash

Scrap Metal

Scrap Steel, Iron, Brass and Aluminum Recycling

this thread has 37 replies and has been viewed 3083 times

Old 02-09-2013, 09:39:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,493 Times in 1,745 Posts
Default Scrap Steel, Iron, Brass and Aluminum Recycling

My business generate a lot of scrap steel, iron, brass and aluminum. I hauled three loads recently and made over $3000.00. Mixed steel is about $250.00 or so a ton and brass is $2.00 ish a pound.

Used to be called a junky for hauling but now it's "recycling" and totally in vogue.

Maybe I should write a new song, I was a junky when junking wasn't cool.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:03:46 AM

Thanked 16,798 Times in 7,772 Posts
Default Re: Scrap?

Got and old black man down here some laugh at. Because he collects scrap to sell. He does it the honest way,asking if you have any thing he can haul off. Well if they had seen his money roll like I did at the store. I don't think they would be laughing.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:28:41 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,662 Times in 1,094 Posts

I have always liked hauling scrap. Every one around here knows that if they have anything metal they can through it down under the big pine tree. I will sort it and haul it. The money is all cash and I use that to buy iced tea and adult beverages. That is my play money. I also have a sweet deal with a local business that generates several thousand pounds a month.

I like your idea about a song.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:00:46 AM

Thanked 16,798 Times in 7,772 Posts

That pipe plant over in Tyler. Should have plenty of scrap.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:22:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,137 Posts

At work we had several hundred pounds of junk heavy wall cast brass tube that machined like crap that had been sitting in the "back 40" for who knows how long. I convinced them to scrap it and use the money to buy tools for the machine shop. We ended up with a little under $15,000. I had no idea there was that much money sitting there, and it worked out good for the machine shop.

Same thing like Billy said, there was an old guy in the town I grew up that did nothing but pick up aluminum pop and beer cans. In Oregon you get $.05 a can for recycle. He was a little off and people did make fun of him, but he sent himself to Hawaii more than once just from the earnings of picking up cans, so I dont really see what people had to make fun of him about.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:45:58 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,924 Times in 2,476 Posts

Damn I must have been a head of the curve some 40yrs ago,Dad would be digging and once we done all the stuff we was supposed to do,we would pick up the scrap copper wire that the electricians threw on the floor of new houses,and then if no copper we had a magnet from a old mag that we would drag around on a string and pick up nails,we used these for clubhouses and rabbit pens, deerstands, etc.Used to do pretty good on copper ,kept us in shotgun shell money,Always made fun of at work dumpster diving,and strapping stuff on the catwalks with bungee cords for the trip back to the plant, made a bunch of crappie beds that will last for eternity out of scrap plastic water main, made into plastic log cabins, then drug out with a plastic barrel in the center held with a rope,get to where I wanted it and cut the rope,the plastic was held together with brass bolts someone threw out one day,not a dumpster never looked in,then the foremans put a stop to it,on the big jobs at least, others got to stealing good stuff I always got permission to look and haul......
Old 07-19-2019, 12:08:07 PM
Registered

Default Re: Scrap Steel, Iron, Brass and Aluminum Recycling

Twice / yr. We haul roughly (20) 5-gal full pails of range brass of all sizes and caliber from our rifle range to our local scrap yard., Brass seems to fluctuate between $1.90 - $2.20 per pound. They prod each bucket for any steel casings with a powerful magnet and if any steel casings are found then the price drops significantly. We do our best to sort each bucket of brass prior to making the trek to the scrap yard. The cash is always put towards purchasing presents for our Xmas party for the kids.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:23:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,171 Posts

Years ago, I could go to the Highway Patrol range. The men would go out there, one at a time to fulfill the range time requirement. All would go to the first stand. After a rain, I could get about 2 gallon buckets of 38's. Since it was cast already, it was the right alloy and just needed re-melting into pigs and re-cast.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:04:32 PM
Registered

Right now the prices for scrap copper,brass and aluminum are down quite a bit from a few years ago. I use to get $1000 a load and now get about half that for the same load