Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Remote starts for trucks ?

this thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 4808 times

Old 02-11-2007, 12:29:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,259 Times in 372 Posts
Default Remote starts for trucks ?

Hello, It's been 10 years since I bought my 97 1500 Dodge pickup.. 174,000 + miles later and it's still ticking BUT I feel I'm on overtime< with it so now the painful process of buying a new one.. Any good or bad feedback on remote starters on GM or Dodge gas trucks ? Both at home and work I have close access to the truck from inside and a remote start would be ideal to cut the chill 15 min. before drive time.. getting a little older and creature comforts are value added items.

FYI: for the record, this is the small V8 318 type and the only problem was it sucked an intake gasket at around 65,000.. I've talked to dozens of guys at the gas pumps and it is a common problem.. The automatic tranny has not been touched and pulls 5,000 lbs several times a year, < that is uncommon I'm told as many have replaced the tranny more than once..
Thanks! Randy Hart Ohio
Old 02-11-2007, 12:39:43 PM
Registered

Default Re: Remote starts for trucks ?

I've never heard of the intake being sucked in before. I owned a 94' 2001 and now I have a 2002 Ram Sport. The trannys had problems in the 94 to 96 models I have heard. I have 94,000 miles on my 2002 and never had a problem. My 1994 had about what you have on yours now, no problems. The Chrylser mini vans or trannys with the 3.3 liter have had prblems usually around 120,000 miles. I have remote starting on my van and I like it. I think it would be good for you to have to.Nice to get right into a warmed up vechicle. DAn
Old 02-11-2007, 12:42:06 PM
Registered

HOWDEE RH!!! I have a '96 FORD F-150, w/ a remote start & I absolutely LOVE it!!! Sure comes in handy for these cold WI days!!! (It's supposed to lock/unlock the doors, too, but that doesn't work, anymore. )
Old 02-11-2007, 12:53:56 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,387 Times in 783 Posts

I own two remote start units and i park about half a football field away and mine still works great. Mine has a little antenna that mounts to the inside of the windshield and this helps for starting at a farther distance.. You just have to remember to turn the heat on high before you get out of the vehicle the night before.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:13:31 PM
Registered

O! The EMISSIONS! THINK OF THE EMISSIONS! YOU'RE GOING TO MELT THE ICE CAPS AND DROWN EVERY LAST POLAR BEAR IN CANADA!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:21:36 PM
Registered

Well Patrick thats just stupid. My van is E85 remember.All I ever said is that people can at least try to help the situation. I mean all Americans don't need to go out and buy a big SUV and use it for just metro commuting. People don't need to go out and buy their big ole steaks and throw have of them in the garbage because they neglected to cook them in time. See I'm not a wealthy guy and don't waste things because of neglect. But I think history will show someday that it was the lower class and middle class that helped clean up the world because the folks with alot of cash really don't care.DAn
Old 02-11-2007, 02:05:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,259 Times in 372 Posts

Dan, when I first discovered the problem the oil light came on and I shut it down and coasted to the birm.. checked the oil and none on the stick.. Lucky for me my Dad always kept a few qts of oil in his truck and so did I as well.. Made it home and had the garage fix it.. The mechanic said he was an expert on them after dozens already done.. And of coarse Chrysler did not have a fix as fail policy This old beast still gets 19-21 mpg and managed 20.2 on my 561 mile run a while back..
I took it on vacation last summer to NC with the family but the title was in the glove box just in case it wanted to lay down while away from home..
Randy Hart Ohio