Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Q & A Greyhound Steam Engine & Thresher Co

this thread has 127 replies and has been viewed 30715 times

Old 07-03-2008, 06:12:47 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,028 Posts
Cool Q & A Greyhound Steam Engine & Thresher Co

Hello Folks,
Here are the Questions and Answers for all of users to post. I am a research, historian and collections which I could have found in certain places, conversations with older folks, old magazine articles and ads and auctions. I do find a lot of Banting Greyhound memorabilia and stories. I have began to do the search in 1996. In July 1995 I have bought all Greyhound Machinery from my grandpa's estate at the same price what he paid in the past.I do enjoy conversations about Greyhounds when my grandpa took me along to NTA in early 80's. At this time this year I placed a Banting-Greyhound Museum canopy booth in various show within 250 miles from Toledo, Ohio. My display Museums would do great in contacting people who may have archive photos in attic, in their past family farm, past customers, or even they may have one in their barn or outdoor! If any of you have questions or answers, post a photo, specifications, fun facts, company history,unfamiliar or even challenging! Please post it appropriate. Thank you.
Craig Detwiler

Last edited by greysteam24hp; 07-03-2008 at 06:30:33 PM. Reason: add
Old 07-03-2008, 06:25:42 PM
Registered

Default Re: Questions Answers Greyhound Steam Engine

Banting-Greyhound Farm Machinery History

Welcome to our site of Banting-Greyhound Line farm machinery preserving history, research and collections.

The Banting Mfg. Co have formed manufacturing facility in 2979 Dorr St Toledo, Ohio from 1915-1930. In 1901 The Banting Machine Company was general agent of Buffalo Pitts till 1915. In late 1915 Banting began manufacture Greyhound steam traction engine and threshers. The engine has much completely redesign from former Buffalo Pitts engineering employee. The Greyhound threshers were manufactured much of competition with other thresher makes combined. Yes I do find interesting from Agriculture development of Kansas. Much of research found in listing from original Banting catalog-literatures comments of letters from outstanding customer's satisfactions. They manufactured other machinery line such as beet harvesting, bean and pea thresher, cotton picker and Greyhound gasoline tractor. The machinery was built a very modern method simple profitable farming to the bank. Banting was much devoted attention to farming from positive to negative makes machinery. After 1930 Banting became the distributor of Allis Chalmers. Banting has supplied miscellaneous goods order form catalog for all the needs being used. The Banting Mfg was low production market but sales went well with supply catalogs. The general sales and office was located around at 114 Superior St Toledo, Ohio. Once again there are some Greyhound machinery remain existence in U.S.

Coming soon new website. Will post when I'm ready.

For more informations please contact me or post it. I'd rather post it so we can share thoughts .
My collections:
Greyhound steam traction engine serial 21111
Greyhound gas tractor serial 22499
Greyhound grain separator 26 by 42 serial 301854
Greyhound wooden bean and pea thresher first year production original only known found

Craig
The Following User Says Thank You to greysteam24hp For This Post:
Old 07-03-2008, 06:48:48 PM
Registered

what was the largest engine made by them and its bore and stroke, what was the largest threshing machine made by them, any ideal how maney engines/ threshing machines are left, thank you
Old 07-03-2008, 09:07:16 PM
Registered

Quote:
what was the largest engine made by them and its bore and stroke, what was the largest threshing machine made by them, any ideal how many engines/ threshing machines are left, thank you
The largest engine is 9 3/4 by 11.
The smallest engine is 8 3/4 by 11.
In my research thru some old Banting supply catalog and literature fold out. The oldest I have is 1915 through 1928. There are four horsepowers advertised 18,20, 22 and 24 hp. The 18, 22 first two year has different logo, coal bunker and water gauge over by wheel. The 1918 - 1919 remained 18-22 hp. New style bunker, water gauge moved further and new logo has been changed. I have found some hp changes to 22 and 24 hp in 1920 time period till 1928. I do not know why the horsepower has changed. All casting and engineering specifications dimensions were all same in all years. What I am thinking is the early engine comes standard on Baker Balanced Valve( no connection with AD Baker) comes on 18 & 22 hp. The later engine in 1920 period has equipped with Gould balanced Valve to be rerated in two sizes 22 and 24 hp. Maybe many other engine manufactures have been rerated hp calculations? I have read Bill Flower's ( now deceased)comments on how many were made which was responded in letter ( 1960's) by Charles Decker a former vice president of Banting mfg. They were told it be 154 built in two sizes. There were three boiler maker made for Banting. At first it was Adam Loos Boiler then later on with John Brennanman Boiler Co. or Ohio Boiler Standard. Anyone has informations on boiler Co?
Threshing machines came out in five sizes in early wooden with steel structural. Later in mid 20's it came out all new matchless all steel thresher with Hyatt roller bearings in five sizes (late model came with four sizes). A 32 by 54 are most popular size. The smallest is 22 inch and the largest is 36in by 60 inches. I do not know how many threshers were built. I am still searching for construction and or company record or maybe it has been destroyed.
I'd say there were 11 and half Greyhound engines left today. Maybe two more out there in woods if I am right finding it. I have not counted How many Greyhound threshers left out there. I would assume at least dozen in various sizes. I would list the name of owners in next post. I am sure there are some out there in barn or sitting out door or currently being scrapped
Thanks for the questions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greysteam24hp For This Post:
Old 07-04-2008, 11:37:16 AM
Registered

Hello Craig. Anyone with a connection to the Banting-Greyhound line of farm machinery should certainly appreciate what you have done. The collection of memorabilia, literature and photos that you have in your traveling museum is great. Keep up the good work and Thanks, Dave. #1952 Greyhound 18-HP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Greyhound For This Post:
Old 07-21-2008, 11:55:55 PM
Registered

Well I was suppose to keep update posting somewhat weekly. I have hundreds archival research history such as newspaper clippings, business, family, former employees, literature, photos etc. Little at a time posting for all stakkers. General questions are always welcome. If I don't post then no one get a history.
Here is a 1954 photo taken at unknown show ground. It is a 24hp Greyhound( my engine) next to Fred Kline. Just past weeks at NTA. A gentleman came to see me in my Museum display hand it to me a photo.
Does any of you older folks know Fred Kline?
I tried to send emails to several folks but no one knows.
Craig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	greyhoundenginefredkline1954.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	36335  
Old 08-17-2012, 06:19:40 AM
Registered

The Baker Balanced Valve was invented by A.D. Baker, it was used on steam engines built by various makers and on locomotives.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:37:27 AM
Registered

Default Re: Q & A Greyhound Steam Engine & Thresher Co

Baker balance valve was manufactured from Minnesota. I have seen an early Greyhound equipped with Baker balance valve then the later year was a standard Gould balanced valve Kellogg Iowa. Both were installed by Banting Mfg Co Toledo, Ohio. So far i do not see any connection from AD Baker. I have actual photo of Baker balance valve ads and an engine.
I heard The AD Baker valve was made on locomotives. Look for info in a brown encyclopedia of american steam traction engine.

Last edited by greysteam24hp; 08-18-2012 at 01:40:58 AM. Reason: add