Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Kohler Magnum 18 twin backfire

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 436 times

Old 01-25-2019, 06:16:23 PM
Registered

Default Kohler Magnum 18 twin backfire

Engine ran strong without problems for years,then was running only on 1 cylinder.I removed head from non-firing cylinder and verified valve operation and no carbon buildup.replaced head and backfiring occurs. Engine will not start with 1 sparkplug removed ,or with both installed.Replaced plugs with new,and tried with old. No difference! Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2019, 11:30:40 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Kohler Magnum 18 twin backfire

Several things need to be assessed here to determine the source of the problem. Do you have (or had) spark at both plugs? Did you perform a compression test on each cylinder to determine the PSI on the cylinders? Check ground wires for continuity? Is it backfiring when shutting off? These have anti-fire solenoids on the fuel bowls that have been a perennial problem-to the point where Kohler says to shut the engine off at full throttle. One coil or two? I've seen them go bad, especially if the cooling fins get clogged up and overheat the coil.

Tom
Old 01-26-2019, 07:16:44 PM
Registered

Tom,thanks for your checklist of suggestions. I opened both Valve covers and found the valve spring guide on one intake valve broken and valve retainer lying in valve chamber! Next I will check to see why the breakage occurred.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:10:05 PM
Subscriber

I think you've located your problem. Keep us posted!!!!