Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

1968 Johnson Skee-Horse Wide Trac 20

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 649 times

Old 01-30-2019, 12:11:44 AM
Registered

Thanked 5,277 Times in 877 Posts
Default 1968 Johnson Skee-Horse Wide Trac 20

Since its air cooled, runs on gas, and is relatively small, I decided I'd post my most recent project here.

I picked this up just over a week ago, and while it's not the 59-63 Polaris Voyager or Mountaineer I so desire, with a couple of jumper wires and a few squirts of premix, it started on the first pull!

Hook up the portable fuel source and the track went around...

Fortunately my wife was willing to be the test pilot for the Skee-Horse, once I knew the track went around. I cleaned the carb (found a unique homemade float bowl screw and a helacoil inserted into the carb so it all works)... I then made a throttle cable up so that it could be driven (sort of). It has neutral, forward, AND reverse... Wired in the ignition in a more permanent fashion, including making up some plug wires.

This of course started the minions praying for snow, lots of snow... so far this year, we've had very little snow down here in the valley.

Last edited by bigGURN; 01-30-2019 at 12:35:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2019, 12:20:09 AM
Registered

Default Re: 1968 Johnson Skee-Horse Wide Trac 20

I was able to get a little more work done on the Johnson Skee-Horse this afternoon.

Started out plastic welding up the holes and cracks in the fuel tank and plumbing the fuel system. A little time consuming, but worth the effort.

Then I moved on to the cables. I bought a Schwinn universal bike cable set and a Doorman cable clamp/stop set. With those two items, I was able to quickly make up the two cables. The fit and function is perfect!

I did have to make a change to the cable end at the carburetor. I machined a little adapter out of a 1/4" bolt to fit the ferrule on the cable end.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 12:22:25 AM
Registered

From there, using my trusty multimeter, I was able to figure out the wiring and replace/rebuild the harness. I swapped out the ignition switch (key was missing) for a universal Indak switch.

The light bulb is dead, so I need to find a replacement, but it looks like a fairly common bulb.

Still need to get a seat made up, but that shouldn't be too big of a deal
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 10:42:20 AM
Subscriber

Drove My first snow mobile in late 60s in Wisconsin , A Ski-Doo
So a reverse on it 2 huh ? kool , and not Aluminium ?
Guy on you tube from Canada , off grinder has whole bunch of them , that he fixes up
Hope u get some snow to try it out
Neat find AGAIN !
Wayne
The Following User Says Thank You to OrgWayne For This Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 12:03:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,125 Times in 472 Posts

Nice work! I like those old snowmobiles. I think Johnson was (if not the first) one of the first to offer reverse and electric start as options. They were ahead of there time in that respect. The late 60's early 70's was the "heyday" of snowmobile mfg. There were probably at least 20-30 companies building them and by 1980 less than 10. In my opinion the most important development was the slide-rail suspension. I have a 1971 Yamaha with the old bogie wheel suspension like your Johnson and after a few miles my back is telling me to park it and jump on my modern Arctic Cat!!
Old 01-30-2019, 07:29:49 PM
Registered

Can’t tell from the pictures but if that is a twin it should be opposed cyilinder
Old 01-30-2019, 09:01:57 PM
Registered

I grew up in a Polaris dealership. We started selling sleds with the early Indys. Though, I usually got to ride whatever we took in on trade. I remembear an Arctic Cat Puma (about a 1979 with boggy wheel suspension), an Arctic Cat El Tigre, early 80s with slide rail suspension. Eventually I'd ride a 670 Summit, before I built my own Polaris based mod Mountain sled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry bee View Post
Can’t tell from the pictures but if that is a twin it should be opposed cyilinder
Yep, it's a twin.

Today, I wrapped up the wiring by installing a rear light.

Then I built the seat base. I am deviating a little away from stock as I shortened down the back rest height and I plan to forgo the vinyl cover that would slip over the rear green hoop. I see both of those items and things that the minions would either poke at or sit on and destroy. Since this will be a snow toy for them to ride in the pasture, no reason not to modify it a little.