Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Honda gx690 baf - coupling

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 354 times

Old 02-26-2019, 10:18:06 AM
Registered

Default Honda gx690 baf - coupling

I have put a Honda gx690 baf (should be 1 7/16" crankshaft rather than
the common 1 1/8") in my international 4130 skid steer. The gearbox
that drives the 3 pumps for the skid steer has 1 7/16" shaft as well,
so I ordered the honda the same size. The original "lovejoy" type
coupling on the skid steer that couples the engine to the gearbox seemed to fit great. I tighetened the two set screws on the engine coupling well, but I am having problems with it backing off/sliding loose, after only a short time of running. I have tightened it 3 different times now, and can't figure out why it continues to slide. The coupling has been welded slightly on the teeth, but it has been like that for 20 years since I have owned the machine with the original engine and haven't had any trouble. It seems well balanced when I first start it, so I wouldn't think the balance is making it vibrate loose. Any ideas?

---------- Post added at 09:18:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12:13 AM ----------

I wouldn't have a problem buying a new lovejoy coupling if that is what it will take. Just not sure how big it needs to be. I'm sure the IH coupling is not available any more.

What couplings are people using when putting this engine on log splitters and mixers and such? I read the catalog for lovejoy and was confused on the charts that multiply rated torque by some factor that is chosen by application. They had several different pieces of machinery, but not sure what to pick.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2019, 01:45:35 PM

Default Re: Honda gx690 baf - coupling

Do the set screws loosen? If so, you could try applying some loc-tite to the threads and tighten the set screws. If you do try loc-tite, use the "Blue" as the "Red" is not so easy to remove the screws.
SmokStak Member #28
Old 02-26-2019, 02:04:58 PM
Registered

if coupler is sliding back on the shaft then put a spacer behinde it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Radtke For This Post:
Old 02-26-2019, 02:40:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts

How deep are the set screw holes? Can you put a second set screw in the hole? This will keep the first one from backing out. Like using a double/lock nut on a bolt.

and maybe a space behind the coupler to keep it from backing off.....

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 02-26-2019, 03:15:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,222 Times in 636 Posts

You may have to countersink a hole in the PTO shaft to keep the coupling located and loctite the set screws or double them up.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:22:11 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,016 Times in 706 Posts

Mc-Master Carr sells knurl-cup set screws. They bite into the shaft without the need of loctite or a secondary set screw. This style of set screw was quite popular many years ago, and seems to be all but forgotten in todays world, since it is probably a penny or two more expensive to produce them this way. I install these knurl cup set screws with my snap-on PIT-120 impact driver. I have not had one walk out with that combination.

Chris
Old 02-27-2019, 09:42:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,717 Posts

Sliding couplers are usually due to mis alignment. Take the rubber spider out. leave the engine mounts loose and clamp the coupler together with a clamp on two sides. this will steer the engine to straight alignment, then tighten the mounts. Put the spider back in and you should be good to go. *Note that the height between both halves must be exact.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:30:49 AM
Registered

Yea, I will back off the motor bolts and slide the spider out and see if the alignment is off. Never hurts to check. I don't know what kind of clamps to use to clamp the two sides, because there is a cage around the couplings. I will some up with something. And then reassemble with blue lock tite. If I remember right, the set screws were the knurled end ones, but if not I will replace them with those. Definately don't want to tear something up.

Thanks for the ideas!

---------- Post added at 10:23:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21:57 AM ----------

Putting a hole in the brand new crankshaft isn't going to happen:-\

---------- Post added at 10:30:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23:46 AM ----------

I don't know about a spacer behind the coupling. The crankshaft has a fillet near the engine where the seal is. A spacer would need to be the same fit as the coupling on the ID and have the fillet to be sure it doesn't damage the crank or get in to the crank seal.