Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Anyone have tips on loading a 2.5hp engine into a pickup truck?

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 4877 times

Old 08-29-2013, 10:53:53 AM
Registered

Default Anyone have tips on loading a 2.5hp engine into a pickup truck?

Going monday to pick up an engine on a little cart, I have a couple ramps, looking to see if anyone has any better idea's on getting an engine into the back of a truck, there is no forklift or crane, and just two people (unless there are some people near portland, OR, that are free monday afternoon)

My thought, is use my quad ramps, use a chain winch up in the bed to tow it up the ramps. Anyone else done this?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2013, 11:01:44 AM
Registered

Default Re: Anyone have tips on loading a 2.5hp engine into a pickup truck?

If you can back up to a small hill it will make the job much easier. If it is on a cart, 2 people should be able to push/pull it up the ramps as long as the ramps aren't too steep.
Ken
The Following User Says Thank You to stevenkd5017 For This Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 11:03:23 AM
Subscriber

I have used a come-a-long and ramps. I picked up a heavy little engine once and brought jack stands to put under the ramps about half way up for support. (Cribbing) Also look around for a bank or ditch that you can back up to. The less angle your ramps have, the easier it will be to load.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Wheeler For This Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 11:23:20 AM
Registered

What I have come up with is a manual (cable) winch, along with my ramps. The winch is mounted onto a long 2x4 having a 'post' on each end which drop into the stake pockets on my truck bed. I'm able to load/unload my engine by myself using this setup. The downside to my setup is that I have to use the center pockets on the truck bed to be able to crank the winch. An electric winch would solve that problem, as it could be permanently installed at the front of the pickup box!
The Following User Says Thank You to WesPete66 For This Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 11:42:22 AM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Anyone have tips on loading a 2.5hp engine into a pickup truck?

If your truck is of 'normal' height, a set of 8' long or longer ramps should be suffecient. Your quad ramps should be more than able to take the weight. A cable winch should easily pull the engine BUT watch what you attach the cable to. If the engine, DO NOT pull on the flywheels, you may bend the crank if you just loop it thru the wheels. Be careful if you try and pull on the front axle (if the cart is steerable), you want to make sure the bolster (the steering axle) can take the stress. Best place to pull would be the rear axle, if it goes straight across. With 2 people, you probably could just pull it up manually, if as stated above, your ramps are not too steep. Any question on your ability to pull it, of course use the winch.

Before I got my trailer, I used an electric winch to pull engines weighing as much as 1500 pounds, into the back of my 1950 IHC L-120, which had a bed about 30" off the ground. The 2 ton winch only cost about $70 at a local discount tool supply, and was easy to bolt down and wire. A piece of 1/4" plate was welded to the underside of the bed for strength, and a couple of slots were drilled thru the bed and plate to allow the L shaped mounting bolts to slip thru the slots. This was done to made it removable so as not to take up bed space when not in use. A trailer disconnect allowed the electrical disconnection possible. An electric winch with remote makes loading and un-loading a 1 man operation.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 11:51:13 AM
Registered

Its seems the newer the trucks get the bigger and taller they get. Even the 2x4 trucks are crazy high now days. That really becomes a problem when you want to carry a load like this.

My fix for this is a trailer with a ramp gate. U haul has them. I just rented one last week. I think the open trailer with the ramp gate was only something like $30 for the day. The U haul trailers have an especially low deck height so that makes loading that much easier. $30 to save someones back or the hassle or possible damage to things seems well worth it to me. Only bad part about the whole process is waiting in line at the u haul place. Many of the local rental places have similar trailers too. There is one in my area that has a trailer where the deck will lower right to the ground and stays level when it does it. I know that will be my first stop next time I have to haul something real heavy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 73eldo For This Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 12:27:21 PM
Registered

Another tip: don't look up the weight of the engine before you go to pick it up! I got a Waterloo Boy on skids into and out of my vehicle with no problems myself, with 1 other helper. I later found out it weighs *600 pounds*, and I wondered how we accomplished it!

Getting it in, we had a slight hill that helped to reduce the incline of the ramp, as others have said. The guy also lined the ground with sheets of thin plywood from the barn to the truck which also helped the long haul.

-Rick I.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick I For This Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 12:29:29 PM
Registered

Ok, find a little hill or dip, winching in should be bad, thanks all, Ill get pics of the process

Excited to bring it home!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:33:31 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Anyone have tips on loading a 2.5hp engine into a pickup truck?

Tall pick up was the reason I got my trailer. It has 15" wheels, and the deck is only about 18" off the ground. It is a tilt bed, 8" by 14', and tows nicely behind my R-20 Suburban. I don't use the tilt often, my ramps are a better option. I do still have my electric winch though, and that is permanantly mounted to the trailer deck. By the way, the trailer is rated at 3500 pounds, although I have had more than that on it.
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 12:55:36 PM
Registered

I ended up buying a foldable crane from craigslist. It cost me $100 but has saved me at least that much in medical bills. Of course, getting the crane in the truck isn't all that easy either.

When picking stuff up in residential type areas, I put the rear wheels in the gutter and flop the tailgate down. The back of the truck is lowered quite a bit and if there is a curb, you get another 4-6 inches.

One time I took a bunch of short scrap 4x4s that I had and took my floor jack. Jacked up the back of the engine, slid a 4x4 under it. Did the same thing for the front. Repeated this until I was able to lift the font onto the tailgate and shove the whole mess in. Luckily the front of the engine didn't get caught on anything cause my makeshift tower toppled as I shoved. Cant say I recommend this method unless you have the time and don't mind a little stress as it gets up a little higher. Might work ok since its on a cart.

You could also take a couple of friends and lift it. I have quit lifting engines by hands for the most part. Ever since a friend and I lifted a 2 hp Witte headless out of the back of my truck. They don't look that heavy but holy crap looks can be deceiving. When the full weight slid out of the truck we both and a simultaneous nut blowout. Not fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigGoomba For This Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 01:56:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,891 Times in 3,753 Posts

Loaded a lot of them by hand with short ramps, all the way up to a 6hp Fairbanks Z, (many many years ago.... but never again), but it is a LOT easier with a winch.

Short of having a winch, even a simple block & tackle will make it a Lot easier pulling up the ramp, and sometimes go even quicker than using a winch. Easy to throw behind the seat, and doesn't need any wiring to make it work.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 02:13:09 PM
Registered

Hello
Get a local towing company with a roll back, put it on there truck and roll it into yours. A busted up back or broken cast iron pieces will make the $75 seem cheap.

David
The Following User Says Thank You to David Russell For This Post:
Old 08-29-2013, 02:28:16 PM
Subscriber

I've had the local tow truck guy unload engines I can't lift from a pickup.
you rig, they lift, you pull your truck forward, they set it down.
Been a few years since I did this but was $25 cash (more if credit card)
I've pulled a Stover CT-2 up quad ramps with 1 other guy (his engine) recently and it wasn't on wheels, no problem.

Good Luck
Chad
Old 08-29-2013, 03:27:48 PM
Registered

Instead of using a block and tackle or even a winch just use your ratchet straps. You should have them to lash the engine down anyhow. Alternate two straps. Ratchet one up until you can't take any more bites, Then release the other strap. Once released pull the second strap up to start pulling the engine with the second strap. Keep going back and forth between the two straps and you will have the engine in the bed of the truck before you know it.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:40:31 PM
Registered

Oh, yeah, I second the U-Haul trailer with a ramp! I used one for a show once- $25/day for a 5'x9', and I was able to reserve it online, and have it sent to the U-Haul closest to my house to boot.

-Rick I.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:18:39 PM
Registered

I back up to the object, pull the lever, and my tailgate drops to the ground. Roll or slide heavy object onto Tommy Lift, hit the lever the other way and prestO, its bed height. Slide or roll foreward and secure.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:09:07 PM
Registered

OK, forgot to finish this thread, it loaded easily, had the wife steering the cart, I was in the bed of the truck on a chain winch, and it came right up my 4 wheeler ramps. It was a tad tall so I had to take the canopy loose and block up the back to get it to clear. But it made the 241mile trip home no problem.

Got it unloaded tuesday by having a buddy steer, and I chain winched it down slowly, some fresh fuel and a few flips and my first hit and miss engine popped to life! Pretty excited! Love these things.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JohnVH For This Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 03:14:50 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,335 Times in 906 Posts

John if you don't know the yr. post the serial no. and we can date it for you. Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to BobRR For This Post:
Old 09-05-2013, 03:47:05 PM
Registered

if it had a serial number on it I would
Old 09-05-2013, 07:50:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,925 Times in 2,476 Posts

I wish my Dad would have took pictures of how he hauled home the 7hp Stickney I have, that he bought in Waukee Ia at a auction. He had a 87 F250 at the time, I think, with a camper shell, some people have told me they helped load it when I took it to a couple of shows, they raised the camper shell so it would slide in the bed, then let the camper back down ,been a along time, but I know that the next morning I was helping him take the shell off and we unloaded it with the backhoe, that is 2000 lbs and how he loaded it would be a nice picture!!! It is on skids now and I have used a come along, to load it and pipe as rollers to move it on the concrete floor to the ramps for my trailer and that alone is scary by yourself!! Top heavy!!