eBay Auctions
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > eBay© Auction Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

eBay© Auction Discussion All eBay™ discussion; engines, frauds, fancies, weird stuff and more.

eBay© Auction Discussion

Ebay Scam: Industrial Iron Works Engine

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3590 times

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 10:05:47 PM
Jeff Wahl

Default Ebay Scam: Industrial Iron Works Engine

Last week, I bid on 1901 Industrial Iron Works gas engine on ebay. I was one of the high bidders even though I didn't win the auction. The engine was being sold by Ted Brookover, who I've contacted about the engine and I know his email address.

After the auction ended I got the following inquiring emails:

Email 1:

"i have for sale Side Shaft Gas Engine, 1901 Industrial Iron Works the price is about $6000 if you are interested reply me asap at xxx@xxxxx.com thanks Thank you, pal67"

Email 2:

"hello,i am in california i can send you the engine to see that is in good condition and if you don`t like it i can take it back reply asap thanks where are you located?"

Email 3:

"hello, i will call my brother in US and he will go with the engine to you i just want you to send me a small amount (about $300) for the beginning if you will agree the engine you will pay my brother in person and if not he will return you that amount reply me asap thanks"

These emails seem obvious to me that they are from someone who is trying to scam me out of money in a hurry! The seller doesn't appear to realize that such an engine would weigh I'm guessing 2000 pounds and that you can't just send it to me in the mail. Also, he first claims he's in California and then says he has to contact his brother in the US. The final straw is that he wants $300 up front of course. Not to mention, there are probably less than a handful of Industrial Iron Works engines known to exist!

I was pretty sure this was a scam from the get-go, yet I played along to see where it would go and for laughs. However, this is somewhat serious and I never thought someone would be scamming an antique engine. I guess people will try to scam anything worth money.

Just thought I'd post this scam in engine land so everyone can watch out. When you get an offer for a "dream" engine, you want to jump on it quick, but I wouldn't send anyone money unless I can actually touch the engine or I had bought it through an official auction site.

Jeff Wahl
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2004, 01:29:53 AM
Andrew Mackey

Default Re: Ebay Scam: Industrial Iron Works Engine

Not only that, but it is against eBay regulations to sell a listed item unless it goes thru their 2nd chance listing
Old 06-24-2004, 06:59:15 AM
Mike O'Malley

I also bid on that engine, And I also got the same email from that guy. It has happened to me before, Seems like the scammers watch for higher priced items then send a message like this out to the underbidders. If it sounds to good to be true IT IS !!!! Mike
Old 06-24-2004, 09:52:13 AM
Joseph A. Cissell

I bid on the hopper fluted Aermotor afue months pack. I got and email from a man claiming to be from France. He told me to send him $500.00 in good faith, he would ship me the fluted Aermotor and I could pay the rest when I received the engine. If I did not like the engine, I could ship it back to him and he would give me my $500.00. I told him to ship engine COD and if it was as good as he said, I would buy. I never heard from him again. As you said, the high dollar engines draws the CROOKS/CON-ARTIST out.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:27:09 PM
Bill Decker

Turn the SOB in to eBay. This falls under listing policy violation. Go get'em guys.

Contact eBay
Closed Thread